Skip navigation

3655 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2010 11:14 AM by CherokeeParks
kanaan09 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2010 8:48 AM

Playing Aggressive Basketball?

I always have this problem. Me and my dad go to the park with all this older guys. I want to play aggressive against them but the beat the crap out of me to the point where I get scared to play? I really need help! Any tips on how to be play aggressive? Oh, and I'm only 6ft., 15 years old.

Also, does anyone have tips for protecting the ball when dribbling? What happens to me is i drive past them, and no matter what I do, the seem to reach around me and pop the ball out of me hand. It pisses me off so much..

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    1. Jan 19, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to kanaan09)
    Re: Playing Aggressive Basketball?

First off, let me address your last question: When you drive past a defender off the dribble, a good technique to develop is quickly crossing over to the other hand, this avoids the reach around poke that is so frustrating, another thing to do is position your body (your back) in a way that it protects the ball.

When getting pressured, a great way to protect the ball is using the 'escape dribble' and or positioning your body in a way that it deflects their hands.

Playing with older players is a great way to develop great in-game experience vs stronger players - it really does prepare you well. But its also important to have the right skills and strategy to compete vs them.

Say for instance, they push you with their elbow off a down screen your coming off of: next time, get lower than the defender and place your inside arm on top of their outside arm, you now have position over them. Its so important when playing against stronger players to gain position to leverage yourself to gain a competitive advantage, it really comes down to out smarting them.

Actually, shoot me an email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com and I can continue to detail this for you and provide you some great techniques and drills that you can utilize.

I look forward to working with you!

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• bretttanner171 Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    2. Jan 25, 2010 6:25 PM (in response to kanaan09)

Well if you want to stop people stealing the ball off you when you drive (or at any point when you have it) then the absolute most important thing to remember is guard body ball. keep your body between the defender and the ball at all times. Then within that keep the ball moving as you drive, don't just yank it into your chest because that'll probably cause a jump ball. It doesn't matter how you move the ball when driving as long as it's unpredictable and the ball stays close to your body. let the ball get too far away from you inside the key and it's gone.

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    3. Jan 26, 2010 3:57 AM (in response to bretttanner171)

Brett makes a great point here...guard-body-ball.

Actually here is a video that can provide you some help on that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxLoplFvwDI

Let me know if this helps.

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• alelso Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2010
    4. Jan 26, 2010 8:10 AM (in response to kanaan09)

Make sure you have a solid lean when dribbling towards the basket . When you dribble standing up you are sure to get plucked. Also make sure you keep your head and eyes up and keep your body between you and defender. If defender matadors you, know that that only way he can make a play on the ball is reach around from behind. So be prepared to switch hands or make a good basketball play.

Also, stay aggressive and don't let them get in your head. Remain confident in your game and abilities! Play lock down D to gain respect on the blacktop and foul if you have to.

Keep bouncing!

• CherokeeParks Pro 74 posts since
    Jan 9, 2009
    5. Jan 26, 2010 11:14 AM (in response to alelso)

Rememeber it may suck playing against guys who are older, bigger and stronger than you, but it is only going to make you better down the road. Also dont be scared, playing in thiese pick up games is a perfect opportunity to try new things, or work on taking it to the goal. Be confident, dont worry what any of the older guys think of you. I'd say if you can run with these guys now when your only 15, they all know you will be better than them when you are their age.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points