Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

583 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2007 9:42 PM by athletemom RSS
athletemom Rookie 4 posts since
Mar 12, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 12, 2007 10:33 PM

Heart palpitations 6 hours after run

My 17 year old daughter ran her normal track practice today training for the mile run. It was the first hot day of the season here,  95 degrees, but dry (San Fernando Valley). She didn't hydrate all day. She felt sick while running - chills, stomach burning pain,weakness, and heart palpitations. The coach had her sit down in the shade and hydrate. Tonight, six hours later, she's still having palpitations, but otherwise feeling fine -no dizziness, good color, eating fine. I'd like to know if this is a normal recovery symptom from heat/exertion problem.

• anneliz36 Rookie 21 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Mar 13, 2007 6:17 AM (in response to athletemom)
    Re: Heart palpitations 6 hours after run

Hi Athlete Mom,

I'd take her to the doctor. I had the same thing happen about a year ago after a marathon and it turned out that I had an electrolyte imbalance from overhydrating. I'm pretty sure the same thing can happen with dehydration. They had me get a sonogram and said that sometimes it can be caused by an underlying structural heart problem. I was fine, but it might be worth getting checked out. Good luck!

Anne

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 13, 2007 1:42 PM (in response to athletemom)

quote:

Originally posted by athletemom:

Thanks Anne
    I actually took her in to the emergency room last night after I posted and they did ekg, blood, urine, x-ray. They discovered a right bundle block and occasional skipped beats, but nothing definitive to "cause" palpitations. So today we're going to a cardiologist to undoubtedly begin the whole stress test sonogram procedure. I can ask the doctor about the electrolyte imbalance possibility thanks to you.

best of luck to you & your daughter.

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    4. Dec 20, 2007 10:13 PM (in response to athletemom)

Electrolytes with water. The heart requires potassium, magnesium, calcium as well as the others.

She can't afford much caffeine in the system as it is diuretic and dehydrating. Hydrate every 10 mins. in that heat.

This has happened to me 3 times and lasted for 2 days or so.

[http://This message has been edited by dg12 (edited Mar-15-2007).|http://This message has been edited by dg12 (edited Mar-15-2007).]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...