Skip navigation

1516 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2010 9:32 AM by Nutrition Tara RSS
rugbyant Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2010 1:28 PM

10k run - diet advise

Hi All,

I've just signed up to a 10k run for charity and need some advise on diet.

I'm 6 foot and 243 lbs at moment, but hope i will lose some weight during the training - 8 weeks away.

What should i be needing for calories? I will be training 5 days a week for around an hour.

I've checked some websites and they say i need 3200 calories a day - but surely that wont equal any weight loss?

Also which foods should i focus on? Pasta's, meats and fruit and veg?

Many thanks in advance,

Antony

• ChampionFitPro Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 17, 2010
    1. Jan 28, 2010 6:04 AM (in response to rugbyant)
    Re: 10k run - diet advise

Anthony,

You will be burning a lot of calories running that much for sure.  If you want to lose weight, you need to make sure to be at a caloric deficeit, but you also need to make sure you are getting the nutrients your body needs through supplementation.  Training for a race and trying to lose weight at the same time can be a tricky task.  Rehydration and revocvery are going to be your two most important aspects of your training, but you also need to cut back on as many sugars and also make sure you are getting enough amino acids to support protein synthesis in order for you to maintain the muscle and burn the fat.  I was once 327 pounds and I can't run because my knees, but I do train intervals and weights a lot, and I eat right and take Advocare supplements.....I am now 6'4", 240 pounds and have maintained that for 1.5 years.  LEt me know if you are interested in hearing more about it....

Kyle

kyle@socaladvocare.com

Attachments:
  • Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    2. Jan 28, 2010 9:32 AM (in response to rugbyant)
    Re: 10k run - diet advise

Hey Antony,

Nice job with signing up for the 10K!  However, Kyle is right, it can sometimes be tough to lose weight when training.  The first thing that you need to do is figure out how many calories you are burning per day.  Active has a great on-line calculator right here: http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/calories/.  Next, you want to put yourself in a deficit.  If you subtract 500 calories from that number, in theory you will lose about a pound per week.  This is a good goal during training because you will see results but it shouldn't have an impact on your performance.

Another way to ensure your performance will stay strong is to focus on your meal timing.  Make sure to get something into your system 30-60minutes after your runs.  This should primarily be whole grain carbohydrates with a little bit of protein.  Your post workout meal is the most important meal of the day because it refuels your short term energy stores and helps your body start to repair.  For the rest of the day stick with protein, fruits and vegetables.

Let me know if you have any questions but that should get you started!  You're going to do great!

Tara

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points