Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6516 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2010 7:03 AM by architeuthis RSS 1 2 Previous Next
12Melissa12 Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 17, 2010 5:40 PM

Gu made me sick.  I am training for my 1st 1/2 marathon.

I have been running since April 2009.  I have completed two 5Ks and one 8K.  Did my  first 10 miles today and took gatorade and GU along with me for fuel.  The Gu was awful - had to chase it with the gatorade-gag.  The run went fine.  I was a little slow secondary to VMO pain.  When I got home, I had to stay horizontal x 2 hours sipping 7-UP as I could.  Each time I tried to stand, I felt ill.  After 2 hours, I felt okay enough to eat.  However, quickly, I was blindsided by diarrhea.  Needless to say....NO MORE GU for me.  I read that a lot of people take candy bars or dried fruit along on the long runs as fuel.  Any suggestions?

• runtothefinish Expert 39 posts since
    Dec 8, 2008

I can't stomach GU either, but have found that other things work for me...Chomps don't seem to bother me and Hammer Gel which is more natural doesn't bother my stomach.  That being said, I also REALLY enjoyed orange slice candy and bananas during my first marathon training.   So you might swing by your local running store and checkout some of the brands that are considered "natural".

RunToTheFinish.com

sig copy.jpg

• Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007

I think that's pretty common.  Some suggestions: Chase Gu (or any similar item) with water.  I've heard that the sugar in the Gatorade piled on top of the sugar in the Gu causes stomach problems.  You may also want to try a Gu without caffeine (assuming the one you had contained caffeine).  Sometimes the caffeine causes stomach  problems as well.  Good luck with your half!

Joe

• RL Loving Pro 138 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008

I can handle a GU or two  ...  but they become a problem in an actual marathon.  I have found a solution that works for me.  Honey.  The only place I have found it is in a Bicycle Racing store.  It comes in a package similar to GU  ...  meant to be taken on the ride or run.  I really like the energy boost after 15 miles or so.

• mfrank81 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009

What about Jelly Belly Sport Beans. I swear by these!

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007

Melissa - ugh, that's the worst.  If you are going to try it again i would recommend chasing it with water.  The comment above was absolutely correct in that the GU/Gatorade combo can be a little much for your stomach.  You also might want to try PB&J.  This can be a little messy and awkward but it really gets the job done.  I usually prepare it the night before so it has time to soak into the bread (I know, a little gross).  Then i cut it up into little squares and keep it in a Ziploc in my fuel belt.  Let me know if you try it:)

t.

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

• runbei Amateur 18 posts since
    Aug 1, 2007

Suggestion: Try ClifShot Gels instead, and avoid the caffeine kind. They give me a very smooth, trouble-free "ride," taking 1 every 30 minutes. For anything over 2 hours, take some Sustained Energy starting at about 1:45 (www.hammernutrition.com) - the body needs protein after about that long. Soy protein as in SE is better than whey protein (dairy products taken while running increase ammonia in the body, very harmful to performance).

P.S. If you're building your long runs, suggest you avoid Gatorade or any other drink containing simple sugars (dextrose, sucrose, fructose, etc.). Empirical reason is that they cause terrible stomach upset and plunging energy at 16-20 mi for many, many runners. Technical reasons are explained in the free fueling guides on the Hammer website (see link above).

runbei
    http://www.fitnessintuition.com

The whole dang book's now onine

• NeverQuit64 Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 1, 2008

I've tried a few things.  Cliff Shot Blocks have worked well for me, They are soft, kind of like Gummy Bears.  Cliff Shot Rocks are work pretty well for me.  I make sure to chase them with water, not Gatorade.  I've also found that putting a Brownie in your fanny pack has helped, it helps later in a marathon when fatigue sets in.

-Frank

www.runridewalkrepeat.com

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009

Your first 10mile run should be watered unless your weekly total is crazy...An hour and half can be fueled midway Sublime Gu and water works for me (check the best buy date on the bottom too) What flavor was it

• EnlytenRunner Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010

Try Enlyten's Electrolytes Plus.  Preload before the race and just supplement with water during race.  Quick dissolve strips.  90% absorption.  read about the science behind it at  www.enlyten.com/dbright  promo code: DB10

http://enlyten.com/dbright

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009

Sugar in the GU and sugar in the Gatorade may have adversely affected you.

Flavor of the GU  may have something to do with it as well. I have found I can only stomach the chocolate.  Vanilla, raspberry, gingerbread, etc I can't handle, they're too sweet, the chocolate satisfies my sweet tooth too.

Try a little bit of them at home before you head out. . .. and chase them with some pure H20.

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• Snowman79 Legend 483 posts since
    May 16, 2009

If you run with a fuel belt, you could try what I do.  I mix my GU into my water bottles before the race.  The taste is more tolerable (but still not great) and it doesn't make my stomach turn. 

I have been told by some runners that just Gatorade is enough to upset their stomach.  I will only drink Gatorade Rain because it seems alot more diluted than normal Gatorade.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses.

• j9hannum Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I swear by Hammer Nutrition.  They make all natural products.  Hammer Gel is easy on the stomach and really tasty (my favs are Chocolate, Banana, and Espresso).  They also make a sports drink called Heed that is also all natural.  The taste takes some getting used to but now I totally love it - Gatorade now makes me gag.  I suggest trying the Lemon-Lime flavor.  Good luck!

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008

2nd the Hammer stuff.  I tried cliff shots and they were too much for me.  The Hammer gel is pretty sweet but not sickening, except maybe raspberry.  I just ran my 1st half and used 2 scoops of Heed in my water (about 16 oz. or so) and had one Hammer gel right before the race and and one about half way through while occasionally sipping my Heed/water.  No problems at all during the race.  It took a little while for my stomach to accept solid food afterwards without grumbling but nothing serious.  I think that was due to running hard and far.  By the way, I like the subtle strawberry heed.  Even with the 2 scoops, the flavor was mild.  Good luck on finding the right combo.  Expirement now so you'll have a solid plan on race day.

• Lindsey12 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008

Hammer products are hands down the best!! i run with their HEED and the hammer gel and i find that it really keeps cramping out of the way and gives you a nice boost of energy without making my stomach sick. ive been training for a marathon for about 2 months now and have tried many products and Hammer is by far the easiest on the stomach as well as best energizing!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points