Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1977 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2010 1:10 PM by upbeat
jneptune Amateur 21 posts since
Sep 24, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2009 10:07 AM

Snacks?

I typically have well-balanced, healthy meals, but I am always hungry and I snack often between meals. I love trail mix, dried fruit, and any mixed nuts but they are all pretty expensive unless on sale. I hate to go for the sweets and processed snack foods all the time, but quite honestly fruit and vegetables are only satisfying when I eat a ton of them and that can be expensive as well.

What kind of snacks can/should I look for that are healthy, satisfying, and not too pricey?

"True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the body; the two are ever united."

-Karl Wilhelm von Humboldt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful."

-John Wooden

• KIKat Expert 27 posts since
    Sep 18, 2009
    1. Jan 19, 2010 8:13 PM (in response to jneptune)
    Re: Snacks?

You can make your own energy bars.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa062403a.htm

Energy Bar Recipe 1

• 2 dozen dried figs
    • 1/3 cup honey
    • 4 Tbsp. orange juice
    • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    • 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
    • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    • 1 Tbsp. canola oil
    • 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
    • 2 egg whites (or egg substitute)
    • 1 cup oat bran

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Instructions: mix figs, honey, OJ and lemon juice in a food processor. Mix all other ingredients separately (except oat bran). Combine 2 mixtures, roll into 20 balls, coat with oat bran, and bake at 350 deg for 10-15 minutes. Store finished product in the refrigerator. Nutrition Facts per bar: 150 Calories | 4 gr. Protein | 1 gr. fat | 36 gr. Carbohydrate

If you say you can't, you're right.

Twitter - KIKat1029

• upbeat Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    2. Jan 28, 2010 1:10 PM (in response to KIKat)
    Free upBeat! coupon

Try upBeat!, an energy refresher with only 100 calories, 7 grams of protein and 6 grams
    of fiber. upBeat! is sold exclusively at Hy-Vee. For your FREE coupon visit http://coupon.upbeatenergy.com.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...