Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7220 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2011 10:53 AM by RunningPro1 RSS
runbetty Expert 59 posts since
May 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 28, 2010 7:46 PM

The best tv shows to watch while running on the treadmill

I'm the Denver Running Examiner, and I just wrote an article about the best tv shows to watch while running on the treadmill.  Click here to check it out, and let me know your favorite shows to get you through your dreadmill runs so that I can add them to the list.  Thanks for your help!

Kim

Kimberly Bogin

Marathon Examiner

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008

My favorite thing to watch are NASCAR races.  (It's my favorite sport ) Especially if my driver is in 2nd or 3rd place coming towards the lead, I run really fast (as if my speed will somehow transfer over to him, ha!)

Definitey agree about watching the Biggest Loser on the treadmill.  I can't watch comedy shows, all the laughing throws off my breathing. (And I probably look like a crazy person to other people in the gym)

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I can't seem to fallow any story line while on the treadmill, so I tend it watch one of three things.  The news, the weather channel and/or music videos.  If my son wants to be in the room with me we tend to switch to cartoons.

• AUWalker Expert 38 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009

Football, you feel like you're running with your team, the more excited you get, bump up the speed. Just dont get too carried away cheering, I get funny looks sometimes. Oh well.

"I find the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have"

Thomas Jefferson

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/27/09 Bridle Trails 5k Trail Run, Kirkland, WA // 28:25.1

7/18/09 Bill Burby 5K, Vashon Island, WA // 27:42.6

7/25/09 Sefair Torchlight Run (8k) Seattle, WA // 53:59

11/26/09 Thanksgiving Cross Country Classic (5k), Tucson, AZ // 27:28.2

3/13/10 JJ Mahoney's St. Patrick's Day 5k, Redmond, WA //25:26

5/23/10 The Monkey Run 5k, Snohomish, WA //24:41.4

Upcomming:

6/26/10 Bridle Trails 5k Trail Run, Kirkland WA// This will be my anniversary of running!

7/31/10 Sefair Torchlight Run (8k) Seattle, WA//

• runninfeets Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 21, 2009

Even though I would rather poke my eyes out than run on the treadmill, if I have no choice but to get on that bleepin' thing I usually watch something on the travel channel.  For some reason (maybe where my treadmill is in the room) I feel a little unstable if I stare at the tv too much so watching a favorite show would be out of the question.  Maybe I'm just uncoordinated but I kind of act like I'm outside and just mostly stare straight ahead so I dont fall off. (one of the endless reasons I hate that thing) I wear my ipod and just occasionally look at the screen and imagine I'm in whatever fun place is showing on the tv.  Unfortunately I've seen quite a bit of travel channel this week and the weekend isn't looking good either....booooo.......

• caesar_august Pro 85 posts since
    Aug 3, 2009

When I was watching the Tour De France on TV a while ago, I would try and be like the guys trying to run after the bikes

Action movies/shows are my favorite to watch to take away the distraction of the treadmill.

Click Here To Download Your Free Body Fat Calculator

Personal Running Blog: Photos And Running

Upcoming Races/Events:

Past Races/Events:

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008

Interesting. Since I do my TM training at the gym it depends on the time of day.  My favorite is music videos but if I can't find those, I usually end up watching court tv shows like Judge Judy.  But if I'm doing intervals, like tonight, I shut it off and instead focus on getting through them.  Sometimes I find TV an annoyance if I'm at my threshold for pain.

• jenster! Legend 295 posts since
    May 27, 2009

I tend to ignore the TV and just people watch. People at the gym are usually really entertaining!! If I do adjust the tv, I end up watching realtv or truetv or whatever that channel is...because they always have POV car chases (I dont think they ever show anything else?) and often they are on fast forward. It reminds me of Dumb and Dummer when Lloydd says he's running at and incredibly fast pace and makes me laugh.  I listen to my IPOD rather than the show's audio.

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

-Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

My Blog  |  Althlinks Profile

Fall Schedule:

9/17 Asheville Half

10/16 Nike Women's Marathon

11/20 Philly Marathon

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

About the only time I watch TV on the treadmill is in hotel gyms. My gym back home doesn't have TV's (it's a university facility) and besides, I usually run on the roads. But if there's a TV in the hotel gym, I'll take ESPN SportsCenter any day. Often I'll use the iPod in parallel to distract both my eyes and my ears.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• johncrazy Rookie 1 posts since
    May 19, 2011

Great buddy!! keep it up!

Watch TV Shows Online

• RunningPro1 Amateur 12 posts since
    May 19, 2011

The Biggest Loser is by far my favorite show to watch while either running or riding my trainer. Sometimes I catch myself wanting to stop early or complaining that I'm tired but that all seems some irrelevant when you watch what these contestants must put themselves through each and every day.

Kevin Bupp

Running Executive

Kevin@MyRaceRagz.com

www.MyRaceRagz.com

What Will You Wear On Race Day?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points