Skip navigation

17620 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2010 4:40 PM by Sueze RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • KWiley112 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 11, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 2, 2009 8:21 AM (in response to MelaMarla)
    Re: Help with Plantar fasciitis/Heel spur

I was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis and a heel spur in left  foot last year.  The podiatrist prescribed multiple things since removing heel spur is not a recommended option.  First he taped my foot weekly to keep arches up, tried non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (not sure if helped), ice and physical therapy.  What really helped the most is stretching (flexing the foot) a lot.  Heel drops off a step and also rolling bottom of foot on a frozen water bottle.  I know it sounds crazy and hurts while doing it but definitely gives relief after.  He also molded my feet for customer orthotics, which stay in my sneakers at all times.

As long as I remember to flex my foot to stretch before getting out of bed in the morning, I have no pain when I step down.  Plus stretch daily.

• Run Pitt 80 Expert 42 posts since
    Feb 14, 2009
    16. Sep 7, 2009 9:24 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

Be sure and do self massage:  while sitting here at the computer, have a tennis ball on the floor and roll your foot around on it.  You can use any type of ball, but I recommend you start with a soft one, like a tennis ball, so you can get a good feel for how and where you have tightness in the plantar region.

Another exercise is to try and pick up a marble or golf ball with your toes and drop it in a cup.

Coach Anthony, Wilson, NC

Anthony L. Boerio

• dltang Legend 163 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    17. Jan 26, 2010 6:45 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

I know this is an old thread, but if this advice can help anyone, it is worth the post.  Too am overweight and suffered from Plantar Fasciitis and Heel spurs.  It was so bad I couldn't walk in the mornings when I would get out of bed.  I was getting Cortisone shots in my heal at the Dr. Office, not a fun thing.  I was sent to a foot doctor who made molds of my very flat feet and made me custom orthotics for my shoes.  The problem, they didn't help that much.  Someone turned me on to a very inexpensive solution that has helped for over 7 years now.  I use Phase IV orthotics that I order on line for about $20 a pair,  I can keep a pair in 2 or 3 pair of shoes at a time and move them as I need to.  They go by a different name now, but if you google Phase IV you will get them.  I never go anywhere without them, they are in my work shoes, my running shoes, my snow boots, you name it.  It takes about 2 weeks to get used to walking with them, feels like you are walking on a golf ball at first.  But now, I can not live without them.  I am pain free and have not had to go back for shots or even consider surgery which was being talked about.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

Blogging My Journey Back to Me. http://community.active.com/people/dltang/blog

Results from 5K races back in 2005, I want to get there again and then improve.

Crim 5K 39:21

All Women's 5K 34:59

Genesys Hospice 5K 36:30

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    18. Jan 26, 2010 7:43 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

I have fought PF and Heel spur issues for years!  I've done the boot (air cast).  I've done cortizone (sp?) shots.  I've done custom orthotics.  I've done physical therapy.  I've done massive amounts of anti-imflammatory meds and even a 6 day Prednisone regime.  I'm overweight.  I've been losing but I'm still overweight.  I have a couple of pieces of advice...

1. Listen to your doctor for a while to get it under control.  This means ice, rest, sleeping in those funny night splints and meds.
    2. Do not have surgery unless you really really need it.
    3. Consider alternative theapies, like acupuncture (It helped me greatly).
    4. STRETCH like crazy.  Do not put your feet on the ground until you have wiggled and stretched EVERY single time. 
    5. Do not stand up until you have wiggled and stretched.
    6. Do not get out of bed, the car or any prone or seated position until you have stretched.
    7. Go to a reputable running store (once things are a bit better) and get fit for GOOD running shoes.

I promise...you can get past this, but patience is going to very necessary

Good luck!

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• Ezrida Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    20. Feb 1, 2010 12:43 AM (in response to MelaMarla)

I am dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year now and I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other. There are many treatment techniques that you can try. Did you try Taping? I have found it very useful. There are a few Taping techniques you can find in YouTube - just type "Plantar Fasciitis Taping" in YouTube search. Personally I found a very informative website in: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com

Take care & Good luck

• Sibertopia Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    21. Feb 4, 2010 10:25 AM (in response to MelaMarla)

I have had PF for years and have a heel spur as well. I lost 60 lbs and it didn't help at all. I did the straussberg socks, I did cortisone shots, I did 2 months of NSAIDs.

What has helped is shoes with good arches and inserts (I use superfeet), never going barefoot. But I really saw improvement using a foot roller a few times a day. Since I started using it it's 100x better.

I bought mine thru Road Runner Sports but I've seen them at many different places.

• moe10 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    22. Feb 4, 2010 3:25 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

shoes,shoes, shoes....also adjust your stride...go to a running store and have them tell u what kind of foot u have...then buy a good shoe...then adjust your stride...but now that u have it rest,rest,rest..stop running or walking switch to bike,swimming,gazelle machine, ....and the weight thing...cut out sugar,starches,fast food, this will be hard at first but give it 2 weeks and the body will clean itself..good luck

• Sueze Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    23. Feb 4, 2010 4:40 PM (in response to MelaMarla)

I'm a physical therapist and I frequently treat this problem.  There's a relatively new treatment called ASTYM which has a documented success rate of 92%.  I have been performing this technique for over 4 years and have been helping alot of people with this stubborn problem.  You might want to check out their website and see if there is a certified therapist in your area.  Good luck!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points