Skip navigation

1553 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2010 6:34 AM by kd35fan RSS
JNugBballer14 Pro 101 posts since
Feb 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2010 6:06 PM

What do you do if you have a terrible ref in a big game?

I just played a big Super League game with my AAU team and it was against our rivals (so they have become). The whole game everyone knew the refs were terrible and making horrible calls. I had 2 bad foul calls called on me and a horrible technical foul called. Also a drive to the basket that was called a travel. Everyone knew it wasn't a travel! Anyway, what should i do next time i have horrible refs calling my game?

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better, and your better is best." ~Tim Duncan

* "Dare to be great." *

"Hard work, a positive attitude, confidence, and a smile are the keys to success."

Basketball is life....#14

• bretttanner171 Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010

Well there isn't anuthing you can do about it so you just have to keep playing and hope for the best. Communicating with the referee is the coach/team captain's job and going off your head isn't going to get you anywhere except the bench. You've really gotta try to not be affected by it because no-one plays their best basketball while they're angry.

• Duke Pryor Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 19, 2009

A good approach to the game would be to meet with the refs and the other team coach right before tip off and let each other know that everything that goes on in the game is for the kids. Let's have great integrity and set an example for the kids who are playing. you never know who might be a coach or ref one day, so lets have fun and set a great example for the kids.

• KingDuce Amateur 18 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010

Yeah, I think every ball player's gone through games like this at some point in their career.  Before each game (like the others have said) meet with the refs and the other coach and just make sure that the game will be "fun" for everyone.  That's why we play the game anyway.  Also, it's good to get the refs' last names and call them Mr. (whatever).  As far as the technical foul goes that you said you received, I can imagine you probably got a little too emotional about a bad call or something.  Just keep your head in the game and focus on the next play.  The refs have a tough job as it is, and they might make it easy for one side depending on the circumstance.  Leave it up to your coaching staff to worry about bad calls, the player's job is to "PLAY" not to argue or try to negotiate.  This traveling issue kind of bugs me too.  I've never been called for such a thing while driving to the hoop, but my advice...after you catch the ball put it on the floor before you dribble.  Look to make a pass before you drive (nine times out of ten all five guys are paying attention to the ball handler rather than their assignment because they want to make a big play) and if nothing's there wait for an on ball screen and then make your move.  Be sure to read what the defense does during the screen and what the screener is doing.  If he makes contact with the guy guarding you, blow past both of them and take it to the paint.  If there is no contact, read him.  He might be fooling the defense to commit and stepout for a three or slash in for a quick two.

Hope I helped you a little bit, you can e-mail me if you need more advice!

royalty4life@hotmail.com

Good luck in the future.

CJ

• kd35fan Pro 92 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010

you just have to adjust you game after how the refs are calling the game. dont ever blow you head in a game. if you dont understand the call, ask the refs during a free throw.remember to be very polite to refs no matter what.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points