Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3261 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2010 8:33 AM by pacificfit
PaulIzzo Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2010 10:11 AM

knee on bike

I used to feel a slight discomfort on the top of the outside of my kneww when i would spin, but i never felt it when i was actually on my bike. However, this winter i spent more time on my bike than i have in the past, due to run-inhibiting cold weather and having finally bought myself a trainer, and the discomfort just started to come back. My bike is a tri bike, and i had it fitted to me. The discomfort is localized to the top of my knee, on the outside (i.e. on the slightly to the right side of my right knee). I can also feel a slight clicking in the knee (right where the discomfort is) when i extend it, and there is some discomfort even the day after i ride. Has anyone else had something similar? Thanks in advance.

• jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    1. Feb 3, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to PaulIzzo)
    Re: knee on bike

yes i have the same problem as that, some think it is my IT band that i dont roll enough with the foam roller, getting some rocktape has helped me quite a bit. i went for an MRI and they said it was an ACL sprain and i had swelling in my knee joint. my physical therapist wasnt that convinced and thought it was still my IT band.

click on my link below and try some out, if you would rather like a small sample, email me and i can send you some. you might need a few applications to start noticing an improvement though.

this stuff has really worked well for my knee, i now use it on my calves and IT band as well.

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. Feb 3, 2010 5:31 PM (in response to PaulIzzo)

If you are using clips take a look at this short article there may be a connection Recurring Injury Seeking Answers.

Damien Howell MS, PT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

• HWKICVO Pro 51 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    3. Feb 4, 2010 7:07 AM (in response to PaulIzzo)

I hear ya, I get that same kind of knee pain more on the trainer than outside on a real ride.  I love the convenience of the trainer but the fit/position just isn't the same as having your bike out on the road.  I end up having to make a few adjustments to my positioning when on the trainer versus out for a real ride.  I've had the same sort of knee pain and changing up the position a little has helped...the trick is getting things put back in place when you're ready to get outside but it's do-able.

I've also realized that when I'm out on the roads I ease into the workout better and warm up just by heading through town on my way to open roads.  However, when I'm on the trainer I didn't used to take the same amount of time to warm up and I know that plays a role in the pain too.  I started warming up my legs more before getting on the trainer and starting the workout, that has helped me more than anything to keep the pain/inflammation down.

Do you do any regular strength training?  It's good for injury prevention and doesn't have to be anything crazy.  Exercises like light squats, lunges, step ups might be good for you.

• HWKICVO Pro 51 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    5. Feb 6, 2010 8:21 AM (in response to PaulIzzo)

At first I was moving around my cleat position to see if that would help but I ended up putting it back to where it was initially.  What ended up doing the most good was lowering the height of the saddle and moving it forward just a little.  It put me at a slightly different angle and that seemed to be all I needed.  Everyone will have a different solution though so when you make the adjustments just do them one at a time, it'll be easier to figure out what does the most good.  It can be a bit of a hassle but my thinking is that if it keeps me pain free and I can be more comfortable on the bike then I'll get much more out of each workout.

Be sure to mark (with tape or something) what your original positions are so you can always go back to them.  Good luck!

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    6. Feb 6, 2010 8:33 AM (in response to HWKICVO)

I'd also really focus on VMO strengthening...here's a helpful anecdote to see if that might be a weakness:

To check the contraction of VMO:

• Sit with your legs out in front of you and a rolled up towel  under the injured knee (the knee should be slightly bent)
    • Put your fingers over the area of  VMO (as shown above right)
    • Push your knee down into the towel (so that your knee straightens and the foot lifts off the couch)
    • You should feel a strong contraction under your fingers

If the muscle does not contract, continue to practice whilst pressing down gently on the muscle and concentrating on contracting the fibres underneath your fingers.

If the muscle does contract, you can continue with strengthening exercises:

Holding the Contraction:

• Sitting on a chair with the knees bent, palpate the VMO
    • Start to slowly straighten the knee and ensure the VMO contracts
    • Maintain the contraction throughout the movement as you fully straighten the knee and bend it again
    • Repeat this twice daily until you can maintain a strong constant contraction 10 times in a row

Functional Exercises:

• Once you can hold the contraction as above, start to integrate this into functional movements such as lunges (shown above)
    • With a split stance  initially place one or two fingers on the VMO of the front leg
    • Perform a lunge by bending the front knee and dropping the back knee towards the floor
    • Maintain VMO contraction throughout  the lunge
    • Initially perform as many as you can while maintaining a strong constant contraction and gradually increase the number up to 20
    • Repeat this process in  step-up exercises too (although you may not always be able to reach to feel the muscle contract!)
    • Try performing a squat against a wall by sliding your back down the wall until your knees are at a right angle (your shins should remain vertical)
    • Place a large ball (such as a football) in between your knees and squeeze it
    • This activates the Adductor muscles and because VMO arises from the tendon of Adductor Magnus, also stimulates VMO to contract
    • Hold for 3 seconds and repeat 10 times, gradually increasing to 5 second holds and 20 repetitions

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...