Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59147 Views 286 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 2:19 PM by Mary29831 Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Feb 4, 2010 9:34 AM (in response to Jag92288)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

I

did W9D1 a few days ago. It have become clear that I do better listening to music or paying attention to someone else running. I am getting an ingrown toenial (I have had this before). I am goign to try to hit a podiatist before my race on the 13th.

• Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    241. Feb 4, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to Jag92288)

W7D3 done yesterday.  My pace was a little faster than D2, a little slower than D1.  I could have gone faster but again, right now my focus is on building the endurance.  I've also read that pushing faster in training, especially long distance runs (haha, long distances.. still long distances for me and that's what counts right?) are not the way to build speed but rather, are responsible for more injuries than not.  So.  I'm happy with where I am right now.

Had a run-in with two loose dogs while cooling down.  Not very conducive to lowering my heart rate, I'll tell you that!  Long story short, I was not injured and one of the dogs will be deemed dangerous, requiring the owner to jump through some hoops if he wants to keep it. My neighbors have been trying to get rid of that dog for 2 years now (both of them were deemed potentially dangers in 2008).  I plan on buying myself a whistle, and maybe a compact baton to carry with me when I run.

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    242. Feb 4, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to guy999)

I just did W6D1 today, guy, so don't feel too bad.

Had some shin soreness again and had to cut short the last five minute interval just a bit, but then i walked for about 20 minutes until the shin pain died down and did two more five minute intervals with absolutely no pain whatsoever. Might give D2 a try tomorrow because I don't think I'm going to have the chance to run this weekend.

Dec 21, 2009
    243. Feb 4, 2010 12:11 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

zee, two words:  Pepper Spray

• AngelaSh Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    244. Feb 4, 2010 1:29 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

Started W4 for the third time this week and am doing OK.  Today was very difficult as there was ice and snow on the ground, not easy to run on and I found myself really tensing up.  Still, I did manage to over take a pedestrian today J

@Mary29831 and @bostonwolf I’m going to sort out some physio for my knee, I’m pretty sure it’s muscular/tendon as the pain goes if I hold my leg differently.  The pain is just below my knee so I’m guessing that it isn’t a cartilage problem, but then again, what do I know … At least I’m able to run now.

Good to hear that everyone is carrying on to the best of their abilities.  Well done all.

Dec 21, 2009
    245. Feb 4, 2010 1:40 PM (in response to AngelaSh)

Definitely get with a therapist, I bet they can help relieve the pain and give you some exercises to do that will help prevent it from coming back. I had to have some therapy after I ran a marathon back in 2000 for chondromalacia.  Took about a month and I was back to running. 

Dec 27, 2009
    246. Feb 7, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Strength training yesterday.  Lots of leg work: single leg rows, step-ups, lunges.  My hamstrings, calves and glutes were a little tight this morning.  Foam rolled and stretched a bit before I headed out for W8D1.  Stopped about 3 minutes in to re-tie one of my shoes, as it felt loose.  Had to take another break about 10 minutes later to stretch my calf which was really tightening up and starting to hurt.  Each time I stopped, I paused my chrono.  Also had a short break when a little schnauzer came down his driveway, closely followed by his owner.  These dogs like me!

Anyway, when the timer went off for 28 minutes, I checked... my chrono showed 27 minutes so I kept going.  Total time jogging was just shy of 30 minutes.  Total distance: 2.55 miles.  Little slower today, but it was cold and I tend to take it a little easier on the first day of the week.

Very proud to have gotten this far, and still somewhat surprised: I'm looking forward to my next run!

• Mary29831 Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    247. Feb 7, 2010 1:01 PM (in response to Jag92288)

So I finished the c25k program last week! I'm really happy and see huge improvement (esp since I started from inactivity other than a little yoga) but I'm slow. In 30 or 31 mins, I can finish 2.5 miles comfortably. I'm not running my first 5k until March 13, so I'm running 2.75 this week and then 3.1 the following. I feel good about a 5k in a few weeks and if I can break 35 mins I'd be happy first time.

I want to switch to a 10k training program to keep going. Some say you should have 6 months running under your belt first, but this one seems so tiered it would be ok: Hal Higdon novice training: http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm. I thought I'd repeat weeks as needed since I have plenty of time. I'd like to run a 10k for my 50th bday this summer!

Anyone have any recommendations on a good 10k training program for a very novice runner?

• guy999 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    248. Feb 7, 2010 1:17 PM (in response to Mary29831)

well i just did week 7 day 1 today, so i'm trying to keep up.  I have now done 2 25 minute runs and i guess I should be good for the rest of this week since i've already done this and it won't be much of a change..

*question:  when I am running this long, on a treadmill, my right foot goes to sleep.  It wakes back up when I stop, but this time it was asleep for about 7 minutes.  This happened earlier in my training but usually only 30 seconds or so.   Any ideas?

I got some new music and it really helped me do the 25 minute run. I would never been able to do this without the tunes.

guy

• tweidler Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    249. Feb 7, 2010 6:16 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Checking in...

I have not been able to post as much the past few weeks as real life has intruded.

I just completed what would count as W8D2 today. I did another half marathon and was able to jog for 51 minutes without stopping. Based on my pace I think that that was around 3.75 - 4 miles. I was really happy - I think I could have gone longer but I did not want to do too much too soon and I still had over 9 miles left. As it turns out, it was good I stopped - with the heat I was fairly gassed at the end of the race. I was able to do my intervals until the end for the most part - I walked for about 4-5 minutes around mile 10 when there was a slight incline. The half I did today I recommend - Surf City Half Marathon (also has a marathon and 5K). It takes place in Huntington Beach, CA and most of the course is flat and along the Pacific Coast on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway).

So far this year if it 'feels right' on race day, what I can do that day is more than I thought I could do. Truly a revelation for me in the past month. I think those of you with upcoming races will surprise yourself - you have done your 'homework' so the 'test' should go well. Keep telling yourself that the morning of your race.

I have 'restarted' the C25K after my workouts with my trainer - I now am doing the C25K workouts at a much more accelerated pace. We'll see how this goes - I plan to do a 5K every 2-4 weeks to 'retest'. The days I do not work out with a trainer are the days I try to work on the latter days of of my original C25K quest. When I start a 10K  program I will reevaluate.

Mary29831 - I plan to start a 10K program as well in about 2 weeks. There is another program I may use if I can find the book in my house: The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk-Run Program: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Runners-Handbook-13-Week-Walk-Run/dp/1553650875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265593147&sr=8-1-catcorr#noop . This program is more gradual than C25K at first and I was going to switch to a modified version to work on my speed. If you were starting from scratch, Week 1 would be 3 days of 30 sec running/ 4:30 walking repeated 8-10 times (approximately). Week 2 is 1:00 running / 4:00 walking repeated 8-10 times (approximately). To modify I would start later in the program than week 1 and do my runs at a faster pace than my current pace. If I choose not to do this program, I will do Hal Higdon's novice 10K program.

Upcoming races:

2/13 or 2/20 - maybe a 5K if I can find one in Houston

2/28 Mardi Gras Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon - New Orleans

3/6 Stroke for Life 5K - Houston

3/13 Bayou City 10K - Houston - maybe

3/14 Dallas Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon

I am scheduling races so I will not slide - I want to keep the milestones I have achieved so far.

I hope to run a full 10K sometime in the Apr-May-Jun timeframe. Maybe I can do it sooner but I am not going to push it if it is not there. I also hope to keep working on my 5K time.

Keep up the great work everyone - think of how far you have come in a matter of two months!

Current C25K Status: Finished 2/28/2010!

• Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    250. Feb 8, 2010 8:08 AM (in response to Jag92288)

This last week, I skipped a run: wife's birthday, record-breaking snow, ingrown toenail  and neighbors preganancy annoucement (killed my running window on Friday night) combined to make me only get two 30 minute runs into the last seven days. Last night I ran outside (27 degrees, one days after 28.7" of snow) at the college near my home. I found some paths that were not slippery and kept floowing them around and expanding my circuits. BTW that was w9D2. I have a 5K race this Saturday. I think that I will try some indoor hill work.

• AngelaSh Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    252. Feb 11, 2010 12:15 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Botheration, no more The Couch-to-5K Running Plan for me for a while. Tendon and cartilage problems. Glut exercises here I come. Apparently having a firm bum can help your knees and ankles, who knew. :-)

Dec 27, 2009
    253. Feb 11, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Congratulations, Jag!  That is awesome.

This morning was W8D3 for me.  Nothing spectacular or outstanding.  One week to go!

• Bauer05 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    254. Feb 13, 2010 10:04 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Congrats to those that have completed the 9 weeks!!!!!  I am still going strong but due to taking a few more rest days over the course of this program, I am just starting week 9 this week...I am sooo excited to run a full 30 minutes!!  Have a great weekend everyone...  :) :) :) Tam

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...