Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

8857 Views 66 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2011 4:39 PM by Seck2 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Southridge Runner Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 7, 2010 4:38 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Critz Tybee Half - 1/2 Marathon and 5K Reviews

All I can say is that if your expectations are too high, you are going to be dissapointed.  I enjoyed the race and was not dissapointed.  At 53 years old I try to concentrate on the really important things in life.  Like, just being out there doing it!  Maybe a common frame of reference would help.

Not enough water at the end, no big deal.  Poor selection of T-shirts, no big deal, few mile markers, no big deal, the long tedious out and backs, no big deal, a loud hotel, again no big deal. 

Let me tell  you what a big deal is - Cancer, now that is a big deal.  Everything else is really really small.  I had a great run.  My compliments to those who organized the Half-marathon.  If you hadn't done it, I wouldn't have run it, so, thanks!  I know many many individuals who would have loved just to be out there, with all of those really, really small issues to have to deal with.  By the way, did not see a single Haitian in the race.  Bet they would have loved all of the afore-mentioned problems as well.

Once again, my thanks to the organizers.  Yes, I will be back next year, and the year after that, and as long as I can run, walk or crawl.

• Brian Chaney Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    16. Feb 7, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to Guest )

Volunteers were great and encouraging. The tshirt was horrible, not many races use cotton shirts anymore.  Loved the flat course as I am used to running in Atlanta with hills everywhere.  I was shocked to see the water bottles run out at the finish way before the bulk of the runners were in, although water on the course was well supplied.  I've seen and heard others comments about the loud hotel but I slept like a rock.

• ChristieSey Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    17. Feb 7, 2010 5:37 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 5K and I walked with a few friends.  While I don't have much to compare this to, I thought the race went pretty well.  I was unimpressed with the hotel but I would do the race again if I stayed somewhere else.

• coxco12 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010
    18. Feb 7, 2010 5:42 PM (in response to Guest )

Our first race (the 5k) and we really enjoyed it. The race seemed well organized to us.  We were glad to see porta potties so close to the race start, and we found a parking spot with no problem.  The trollies were also a great idea.  We'll be back!!!

• abhardy2427 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    19. Feb 7, 2010 6:03 PM (in response to Guest )

This is my 7th Half-Marathon, and 4th since April, 09. Overall, it was a very good experience, but there were just a few things that could have made it an even better experience. For me, the course wasn't always particularly well marked, and sometimes there were't volunteers standing at a turn, and I had to search for the green arrows on the road. The roads were flooded in a few places, and runners coming in the other direction, of course, ran over to our side, and pushed us off into the grass, so to them I might suggest "minding your manners!" No water at the end was a bummer, but not enough of a discouragement to prevent me from coming back. I would definately enter this Half-Marathon again, but would probably not stay at this hotel, as it is no where near a "resort" as advertised, but pretty cheaply furnished and the hotel was quite noisy. Next time, I will stay in Savannah and drive over on race day, as we made a 5-day event of this by driving down on Thursday, site seeing on Friday and Sunday, race on Saturday, and driving home on Monday. There was so much to do and see in Savannah, and so many great restaurants, so I could easily plan another vacation around the Half-Marathon next year.

• lotodaisies77 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    20. Feb 7, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half-marathon and overall it was a good experience.  There were so many great volunteers cheering everyone on and I never had a problem getting something to drink at the water stations.  I was disappointed at the finish - there was no water or post-race food. 

• gomama6 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010
    21. Feb 7, 2010 6:35 PM (in response to Guest )

First, thank God for the ability to RUN!  ...now...

1-course wasn't marked well, but it forced me to speed up to keep up with the pack!

2-you can't control runner etiquette, but it would have been nice to not get pushed off the road because of a big puddle by faster runners.

3-our hotel (HOJO) was awesome and bonus for us-at the start line.

4-NO water bottles at the end of a Half Marathon? Not a beer drinker, so that was the worst.

5-thankful for drinks every 2 miles...SINCE THERE WAS NO WATER AT THE END.

6-come on, it's Tybee, there can't be scenery unless you run on the beach.

We actually ATE the fund-raiser speghetti dinner at the school and it was amazing from beginning to end! Try it next year!

All that said, we truly loved it and will always be back every year.  This is a revenue booster for the community since it's mid-winter and there isn't much of a draw for the beach in February.  Who can complain, really, with a flat course and a PR?

• vsheen2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010
    22. Feb 7, 2010 6:52 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I have to agree with the earlier posts about the race course not being well marked at times and the disappointment at the end when there was no water. Thankfully, I took advantage of the hydration stations throughout the race. All in all it was a good race and I look forward to coming back next year!

• LFRunTN Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    23. Feb 7, 2010 6:52 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 2nd half-marathon. I loved the course, it was very beautiful and flat! The weather was a little chilly and rainy, but overall, the air quality was good and I found it to be an enjoyable race. I'm not sure when the other runners came in who wrote the reviews about no water at the finish line, but when I finished, there was plenty of water (down by the beer stand, not directly at the finish line), beer and snacks. I liked the route and the set-up of the finish line, plenty of room for spectators and an excellent little stretch to sprint it out. I had a great time, I WILL run this race again. THANKS SAVANNAH AND TYBEE FOR YOUR HOSPITALITY!!!

• Heysmithers Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    24. Feb 7, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to Guest )

This was the second time I ran the 5K Tybee run. The previous time we started on a two lane section of the main road. This time we started on a single lane road behind the lighthouse. The start was very crowded and I got trapped behind walkers. less serious runners and parents with off road baby strollers. I would've liked to have seen some kind of snack at the end such as bananas, oranges or bagels. I saw water and something that looked like a tote bag. I will think twice before I run this race again.

• Sculder Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 29, 2008
    25. Feb 7, 2010 9:32 PM (in response to Guest )

Great race overall!  I ran the 5k, and I'd say it'd be a better idea next time to designate who should be in front versus the back of the enormous blob at the start line (strollers and walkers at the back, please!).  I can understand why there were a few people who didn't know there were bagels and bananas available at the race, as well as plenty of water, because it was off to the side and not very well marked.  Snacks and water were definitely available, though.  I had a wonderful time, regardless!

• The other Todd Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2010
    26. Feb 8, 2010 2:57 AM (in response to Guest )

I'm just getting into running and this was my first 5K.  All-in-all I'm proud to have trained for it and finished it but what I'd really like to know is my time.  The big clock at the finish read under 24 minutes when I crossed yet my chip time was almost 2 minutes longer.  How does this happen?  Given that it took me 30 seconds or so to cross the starting line, my chip time should have come in about 30 seconds under the clock at the finish line.  Something had to have gotten screwed up witht the 5k times.  Now I'm left not knowing how I did and that disappointing.

• John Tackett Jr Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    27. Feb 8, 2010 3:49 AM (in response to Guest )

This is my 15th half marathon in the past 5 years and is a training run for the ING marathon in March. Just a few things I noticed... First, the mile markers need to be a bit more prominent on the course. Did not see a mile marker after mile 5 until mile 8. Makes if difficult to pace yourself. Second, how about a timing clock at the 10k mark of the course, again to help pace yourself.

Now this was my first Tybee Island half and overall I had a good time. Weather was a bit cool at start but at least I could run in shorts (I came down from Atlanta and it has been cold.) Course had some puddles but we were warned at the start so no complanints there. There was bottles water at the finish so I am not sure why the complaints about that. Thank you for the Powerade Zero. That is my drink of choice whenever possible. The chili was good after the run. Volunteer support was great but I do agree with the comments about the course markings. Perhaps signs with arrows at all the turns.

All in all, I had a great time. Finished strong, and will be back again in 2011. Thanks

• starsbeforedawn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    28. Feb 8, 2010 4:46 AM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the race but I would have appreciated that all the miles be better marked for the Half Marathon. Still, volunteers were very enthusiastic, and there were plenty of water stations!

• mmyrick Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 22, 2007
    29. Feb 8, 2010 5:48 AM (in response to Guest )

I love Savannah and I love the coast!  This was a great run, and the volunteers were so encouraging and enthusiastic!  Just knowing that they were braving the cooler temperatures and the wind was extra motivation to keep a good attitude to the end!  I had a great time running, and I enjoyed the camaraderie of the folks jumping puddles with me.  Thanks for a wonderful morning on a great little island! 

My only suggestion for next year is that the sponsoring hotel allocate a late check-out for all of its running guests.  I arrived very late on Friday night, and I was very sad when I realized that I would have to hurry to shower and check-out directly after crossing the finish line.  I needed the time to recover, and an 11 am check-out when the race starts at around 8:40 am does not allow for much down time.  PLEASE MAKE THIS ARRANGEMENT WITH THE NEXT PARTICIPATING HOTEL and I will make sure to make those arrangements beforehand as well.   

Thank you all!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...