Skip navigation

2436 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2010 5:18 PM by iAthletes RSS
Bluedevil232 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 27, 2010 1:43 PM

How Can I Motivate Some of the Other Players on my Team?

I am the team captain of my junior high basketball team. We are 4-1 in conference and the district tournament is two games away. We definitely need to win these next two games but a couple of my players think they don't need to come to practice or as soon as the game starts they get into the wrong mindset. One of our guards goes straight into anger-mode as soon as he does one thing wrong, and no offense to him, but he does a lot of things wrong just from sheer inexperience. And everytime I try and talk to him he starts throwing around expletives and plays worse. And the team's point guard is very athletic and overall a good guard but doesn't have the basketball IQ to handle pressure situations. Any help on how I can settle these guys down to make sure and cinch a good seed in the tournament?

• KingDuce Amateur 18 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010

Well first and foremost you have to understand that leadership is one of the most important qualities of this sport.  Don't lead verbally, lead by sheer example.  Show your teammates and coaches how determined you are to be successful by continuing to attend each practice.  That way not only will you gain cognuity with the coaches, but you'll also get a good vibe from the players who actually do attend practice.  And by no means is it cool for anyone to think they're above attending practice either.  As a player you can only do but so much, but it's more of a coach's responsibility to ensure the players making practices.  Before games (preferably pregame warm ups) huddle your team together and try to say a little bit to keep them motivated.  Usually telling them to just go out and have fun will do the trick (since it's basically why we all play the game in the first place), so keep it brief but stay positive.  During the game make sure to keep communicating with those who are struggling.  If they miss a shot it's better to say "you'll hit the next one" than to get on their case about them missing.  It's better to keep track of what others are doing well (and reminding them) instead of what they're not doing so well.  As far as these "anger-driven" point guards, take into consideration that a point guard's job isn't as easy as it may seem.  Alot of people who play (or have played) the position take it upon themselves to feel like they're the "quarterback" or the court general as coaches call it.  One mistake is all it takes to wreck someone's confidence, so try to stay optimistic for your team.  Remember lead by example, and everything else will fall into play.

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010

CJ makes a great point about leadership - lead by example, not by words.

Your point guard gets upset when you try talking to him because he knows he has messed up and his ego is getting the better of him and that comes from immaturity - which you understand. When I faced a certain situation, I made sure all my interaction with the player was positive.

Positive reinforcement usually works - when he messes up, say something like "next play, forget about that one we'll get it back" slap him on the back and say lets go man, get a steal on defense to make up for it.

We just wrote a good piece on "in-game leadership techniques" here's the link: http://innovativeathletes.tumblr.com/post/341551898/leadership-on-the-court

I hope we have helped, and I think you'll learn some great leadership techniques as you go through this experience - good luck in the tourney.

Always feel free to shoot me an email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com to discuss anything else and if your looking for any new workouts and or drills this off-season, thats why we are here - to help young basketball players like yourself.

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• kd35fan Pro 92 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010

if you lead by example, it will carry over to your teamates, which will ultimatly make your team better. also, give them a reason to play hard and come to practice every day.

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010

Since you are the leader of this team with a fill in coach, its time to take control.

I always think watching and assessing film on other teams will make you win ball games. Think about it, if you understand their plays, signals and tendencies - you can adapt to them. By studying film on opponents you can than go over them in practice and put together a great game plan.

This is what all great players/teams do to get that competitive edge to win, especially in playoff time. I bet they are watching film on your team.

Let your new coach know he needs to find someone to tape your next opponents game and than create a game-plan.

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points