Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6866 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 6:39 PM by SHH4E RSS 1 2 Previous Next
SHH4E Expert 58 posts since
Feb 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2010 2:34 PM

How long for shin splints to heal?

Yikes, when can I start running again?  Thanks to all the advice from my previous post, "shin splints and continuing training for half marathon. I have taken lots of advice, thanks all, and have not run since last thursday. still have some tenderness only when I try to do a light jog.. They dont hurt at all when I stretch or dorsiflex or walk. Only hurts when I try to jog so I have not run or jogged. This is new injury to me, how long typically does it take for them to heal?  The tenderness is on the inside of the shins only.  Thanks!

Bills Beer Run,  Nokomis Beach FL  10/31/10   5miles    50:23

Sharks Siesta Key Triathlon, Sarasota FL  10/3/10  (0.5m swim,13m bike, 5K)  1:48:51

Tropical Splash H2Open, Siesta Key, Sarasota FL    1K open water swim 10/2/10   29:28

Venice FL Triathlon  9/4/10   (0.25mile swim,8mile bike, 5k)  1:25:09                

Mack Cycle Triathlon 8/15/10   (0.25 mile swim,10mile bike, 5k), Miami FL  1:29:59   

Inaugural Shark Tooth 10k,  4/10/10Venice FL   1:08:17

Sarasota FL Half Marathon   March 14 2010    2:38:16

Oscar Sherer 5k, Osprey FL  2/20/10    33:39

Ringling Bridge Run, Sarasota FL  1/23/10   4miles   44:49  (First Race Ever!)

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    1. Feb 8, 2010 6:39 PM (in response to SHH4E)
    Re: How long for shin splints to heal?

Hi SHH4E,

It can take weeks for shin splints to fully heal. The first thing to do is know what caused them in the first case. Second what type of shin splint problem do you have, there are 4 types or rather reasons for the pain. The first is a tear to the posterior tibial muscle (most common), second is inflammation of the sheath that covers the bone (tibial periositis), third is anterior compartment syndrome and last is a stress fracture. Most likely you need a correction to your arch support.

Ice the affected area daily till any inflammation is gone, use an anti-inflammatory(NSAID), do stretching and strengthening exercises. (pick up marbles or a towel from the floor with your feet only. Once pain has subsided go to a good running shoe store and get either the right shoe for you or a proper shoe insert, I like Superfeet personally. When you get back to running start with less mileage and gradually work your way back.

Personal Trainer in Los Angeles - Hollywood

• dushkeen2007 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 9, 2008
    2. Feb 9, 2010 8:29 PM (in response to SHH4E)

I had shin splints recently. It took about a month to get rid of them, but I started taking care ofthem as I was about to start my marathon training. After researching it & asking my friends this is what I did:

1. Rest.

2. Ice the area of the leg that's hurt. Fill a plastic cup with water & freeze over night. The next day/evening pour water in it to get the ice out & hold it with a towel. Rub the ice for about 5 minutes on the area where it hurts. Freeze more water & repeat every day.

3. Lay on your bed (while on your stomach). Make sure your feet are close to the bed & your feel against the edge of the bed. I did this exercise about 200 times every night & eventually did 400. It gets a little painful, but I was told it is important to strenghten the shins.

4. Flex your feet up & down. Rotate your feet to the left & right. I sit in front of a computer all day, so I did these exercises at work.

Here is a link with more information:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Shin-Splints-101--Treatment-and-Prevention-Tips.htm

I hope this helps & good luck!

• Haselsmasher Legend 506 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    3. Feb 9, 2010 8:51 PM (in response to SHH4E)

If you're so inclined you might look at and think about your form and see if changing that is something that would be beneficial.  I say "If you're so inclined...." because I think people, if they want to do this, have to internalize that it's the right thing for them.  It takes a pretty deliberate effort to do this - with a reasonable amount of effort required to break some habits that may be deeply ingrained.

Certainly the mainstream methods for dealing with shin splints have worked for many people, myself included.  However some people deal with certain injuries they just can't get rid of (for some it's plantar fasciitis, others shin splints, etc.) and a way they've been able to run without being injured is by modifying their form.  There is a growing body of work and experiences that show moving away from heel striking and moving to less complicated (not thick and padded) shoes can reduce injury rates.

Chi Running, the Pose method, and Evolution are the most common (in my opinion) of these "lower impact" programs.

My $.02.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• allready_gone Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    7. May 11, 2010 5:19 AM (in response to SHH4E)

May I ask if you are still dealing with this and if not, what worked for you and how long it took?  I have a brand new case that I think may have first become a problem after I ran the 10K in Venice which ironically I see by signature you ran also.  I ran a half in St Pete on March 21st and was fine.  Sometime around the Sharkstooth 10K I started having pain and even though I tried to take it easy for a couple of weeks, the pain kept getting worse each time I ran rather than better until it finally got bad enough for me to stop about a week and a half ago.      Now I can't run or dance and it's quite frustrating as I'm extremely active in those areas.  I could probably dance but I'm afraid to this early as I don't want to aggravate the injury more than it already is.  I appreciate your insight.

• Stephen Uveges Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 7, 2008
    9. May 11, 2010 4:01 PM (in response to SHH4E)

I used to get shin splints like clockwork.  I incorporated the interval running by Jeff Galloway like SHH4E but what really helped me personally was using excersize bands to perform Dorsi-flexion Bringing the top of the foot torwards the shin.

I would do this while resting after a run or while watching some tv at night and it really helped alot in a short amount of time.  Now anytime I start to feel strain, I do that excersize.  I should probably just do them every day but...

• Neil A Jacobs, Sr Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2007
    10. May 12, 2010 5:30 PM (in response to SHH4E)

I've battled shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and pulled groin muscles...I have had ortho inserts, cortisone injections, and MRI's.  What worked for me?  FINALLY realizing I was creating all my problems via heel strikes.  I now train in the Swedish made MBT shoe, and thank goodness the company has come out with a light weight version.  I work with three different heel heights, but run with the light weight shoe.  

The design of the shoe prevents heel strikes.  This shoe has saved me.  I have no affiliation with this company, btw.  There are several other shoe companies copying the MBT's mechanics, but I don't think these other shoes are as well constructed.  Yes, the shoe is expensive, but what I've saved in podiatry bills has made up for it.  I love these shoes.  GOOGLE MBT shoe and read about the mechanics.

Hope this helps.

Judy ...NOT Neil

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,142 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    11. May 13, 2010 5:25 AM (in response to SHH4E)

Reviewed the other posts, and your responses. I agree with your assessment of the knot, because even if you change the way you run or medicate the effect, you will still have to deal with the cause, which doesn't heal very quickly on its own. I finally searched up a New Zealand physician who not only understands trigger points, he has put together an impressive collection of videos showing exactly how to deal with them yourself. He is the first source I've seen who isn't selling something, but he asks people to subscribe to his site. Haven't gotten any spam as a result, but I get an email from him every couple days with helpful links like these...

http://lifeafterpain.com/vault/treat-your-triggers/finding-triggers/

http://lifeafterpain.com/info/muscles/trigger-point-treatment/

• allready_gone Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    12. May 16, 2010 4:59 PM (in response to SHH4E)

Well sadly, two weeks, one xray and one bone scan later it's not shin splints, its a stress fracture. .  Guess it's time to post my own thread.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...