Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1208 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2010 9:48 PM by soulriff RSS
soulriff Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2010 4:39 AM

IT Band Issues

Hi guys,

I started the Couch 2 5K over a month ago and have just completed week 5 of this today, with my first 20 minute run with no walking. When I started 5 weeks ago I had some discomfort running from my lower back, across my right buttock and down the right side of my right leg to my knee. I raised this concern on this forum and got some really helpful responses, pointing out that it was my IT Band and offering some advise re stretches. I have used that advise and been really diligent with my stretching before and after I run and had no difficulties until today.  I completed the 20 minute run this morning and my lower back on the left hand side was a bit sore throughout the run and eased off when I had finished running and was walking home. Interestingly it has always been my right side where I have the most weakness and on this occasion that felt fine, with the discomfort shifting to the left.

In general the run went well today and my breathing seemed fine and no other cramps or pains, but my lower back on the left hand side has been niggling me all day.

Now I'm speculating that this has something to do with the way I am running, and so was looking for some advise as to what people think may be going on, and things I can do to work through this?

For more info about me if that helps: I'm a 39 year old man, about 10kg overweight, 6ft 2 in height, and obviously up until now have been doing runs of a few minutes interspersed with walks of a few minutes; so this was the first time I had run without walking, so a lot longer than I have done before.

Any advise would be really appreciated

Thanks for your time

Jez

• bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 14, 2010 2:11 PM (in response to soulriff)
    Re: IT Band Issues

For strengthening I'd recommend doing some core exercises like the plank.    www.coreessentials.biz has a cart load of easy and difficult  core exercises.  Pick a couple and do them a few times a week.  That will strengthen your middle and "tighten" your form.  Next, when you talk about pain in the butt and going down the side leg of the leg, I think sciatic nerve.  You may not only have something going on with your IT band but also your butt muscles.  Use the foam roller to roll the IT band (google self myofascial release for foam roller pictures) as well as the piriformis.  The piriformis is in the butt area right around where the sciatic nerve passes.  If the piriformis gets a bit inflamed it presses on the sciatic nerve and you get pain in the butt and down the leg.  First roll the area, then stretch it.  When the pain goes away try strengthening your butt with exercises like that back bridge exercise that shows up on the core essentials web site.  Good luck and let us know how your first race goes!

Plan your run and then run your plan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points