Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

327077 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 130 Previous Next
  • KathyHG Pro 82 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010

I finished my 5k this morning in 46:29.........woo whoo!!   I made my 15:00 mile goal. Came in 43 of 98 in my age group and 400th overall (out of 653). YAY ME!  I was able to run much farther than I thought. I've cut over 10 minutes off my time from November. I am pretty stoked.

Alma. I understand you situation, my yoga class is 50 miles away,  Give it time and be gentle with yourself. And, it  should not hurt

Big Sur 1/2 Marathon 5K 11.04.09  ~57:00

Rio Resolution Run 3-mile 01.01.10  53:22

Fort Ord Foray 5k 01.17.10    49:02

Pacific Grove Together with Love 5K  02.14.10  46:29 

Toro Park 5K 04.17.10   46:54 

GRADUATED C25K--MAY 1, 2010

SF Bay to Breakers 12K 05.16.10 1:57: 41

Progress Not Perfection 

• runrunrn Expert 47 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    631. Feb 14, 2010 5:39 PM (in response to KathyHG)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Kathy,

Yahoo !  Way to go girl!! You are totally excellent.

sharon

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    632. Feb 14, 2010 5:44 PM (in response to KathyHG)

Congratulations Kathy!!  Must have been a gorgeous day over there....hope you feel really good about yourself!!

I am way overdue to find another fun run to do...it helps me stay motivated! Also gives my husband an excuse to pull out his camera to take pics of all the people dressed up in different costumes!

Run RN I can't run well on a full stomach...so I just have my 2 cups of coffee with a banana....then an orange and a bottle of vitamin water or coconut water about 10 minutes before I go.....it works for me! As soon as I get home then I have breakfast...and that is whatever Jenny Craig has on tap for that day...a great variety just smaller portions!

Alma hope you tried out your shoes and they felt good!  Tomorrow I kick up to 5 miles...wish me luck this is a big "mental" hurdle for me....I know long and slow which is something I struggle with....I've been trying to pay attention to the zone 1 and 2 of training  I guess I should be at about 155 and I kick up to 164 pretty quickly but just as quickly recover to 140 within about 30 seconds or so after stopping......so not sure what to do about this...I like to just let go and run at what feels good for that day....can that be wrong? I am struggling with a weight plateau but I am down 4 sizes so the inches are coming off!!  To much to think about...just going to enjoy!!!

Good luck everyone!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• ALMA the RUNNING RN Pro 181 posts since
    Feb 2, 2010
    633. Feb 14, 2010 6:20 PM (in response to susanbarron)
    Wow what a motivation this site is for me.  Kathy, many CONGRATS, I am in awe of you & YOU TOO, SUSAN!!  You guys keep me sparking along!  I can only imagine being able to run that long, and that far.....Kathy, you sound like you're on Cloud 9.  You deserve it!!
    I started week 3 yesterday in the new shoes & was pretty happy with my performance, AND the shoes.  My 17-year old TM is starting to wear out, though, I had to re-start it several times as it "bogged" down in the middle of my 3-minute runs.  May be forced to run outside for the first time tomorrow after work if we don't get snowed-back-in again.  Sposed to snow again tonight 2 - 5 inches here in West Central Ohio.  Can you tell how excited I am about that??
    For all you new people coming up on week 3, try not to be intimidated by these 3-minute runs, they are actually DO-able if you've made it through the first 2 weeks.  Cheers!  ALMA

NO PACE IS TOO SLOW!!! 

Started C25K February 2, 2010 at age 54.9.  GRADUATED C25K March 23, 2010...Wooo HOOT!! 

Ran 5K 'STING' on April 10th, 2010, 41:44 

Ran 5K B.E.S.T. Run/Walk April 24, 2010, 39:24

Ran 1st Annual "GO RED" 5K Run/Walk May 8, 2010 42:46

Ran RELAY FOR LIFE 5K May 22, 2010  37:46 

Ran first 10K Troy Strawberry Festival June 6, 2010 1:25:40 

Feb 6, 2010

Hey Alma,

We are in the same week, I did W3D2 today and tomorrow in Atlanta is supposed to be more snow, I'm hoping that Wednesday (working a 12 Tuesday) I can finish W3.  I'm really kinda intimidated by W4, but I'm going to try and not think about it until I have to do it.  Today it took me a full minute to recover (heart rate and breathing) from one of my 3 minute runs, is that normal?

I am so happy I found you guys.

sharon

• Megnetic Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    635. Feb 14, 2010 6:44 PM (in response to StevenDMiller)

Wow, smiller57, that's really impressive.  My son's fiance has just been diagnosed with RA and she's given up running to try to minimise the damage to her joints.  I know that palindromic RA is different, but do you think she should continue?  Have you seen any improvement in your conditions from running?

One of the reasons I took up running is that my mother suffered from fractured vertebrae due to osteoporosis.  I read that the pounding actually strengthens your bones.

Meg

• ALMA the RUNNING RN Pro 181 posts since
    Feb 2, 2010
    636. Feb 14, 2010 6:46 PM (in response to runrunrn)

SHARON, I think a full minute to recover from the 3-minute runs sounds about right since you get 3 whole minutes before the next run, right?  I plan on finishing week 3 on Weds. too!  And I figure I might do it for one extra day just to get it cemented in, since it's such a big step for me.  I haven't looked at week 4 yet.  Some wise person last week told me not to look any farther than the next day's run so I'm trying to implement that advice, especially since I spent all of last week worrying about THIS week!  Since I started using the podcasts, I don't set the kitchen clock in front of me to watch the second-hand anymore so I'm not real sure how long it's taking me to recover from my runs.  I only know I'm getting through them.  This is real work for me right now & I'm sure it is for you, too.  I can't wait til it's just a natural sensation & that I can just go on auto-pilot & run.  And I'm so glad you're doing this with me, it's so fun to have someone to compare notes with.  Since you're the RunRunRN, maybe I should change my name to Running RN after I complete the whole course.  ONWARD!!

NO PACE IS TOO SLOW!!! 

Started C25K February 2, 2010 at age 54.9.  GRADUATED C25K March 23, 2010...Wooo HOOT!! 

Ran 5K 'STING' on April 10th, 2010, 41:44 

Ran 5K B.E.S.T. Run/Walk April 24, 2010, 39:24

Ran 1st Annual "GO RED" 5K Run/Walk May 8, 2010 42:46

Ran RELAY FOR LIFE 5K May 22, 2010  37:46 

Ran first 10K Troy Strawberry Festival June 6, 2010 1:25:40 

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    637. Feb 14, 2010 8:07 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I completed C25K last week.

I  completed week 1 of the One Hour Runner yesterday. Has anyone started the One Hour Runner Program?  I really liked the Robert U podcasts.

Thank you to everyone with your podcast suggestions..Am still looking for more variation so any new  podcast suggestions are welcomed.

Weight question..From last year (March 7) I have lost 30 pounds. I would like to loose 15 more. The scale seems to be stuck. I am writing everything down that I eat and it is usually about 1200-1500 calories a day..I am trying to eat mostly a healthy well balanced diet..attend health club from 4-5 times a week. I think I do not have a metabolism. Any suggestions?

Love reading all the posts-great motivator..

aprillilly
  • Dallasdoll08 Pro 111 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    638. Feb 15, 2010 4:22 AM (in response to aprillilly)

Good morning to all.  Well I did W1D1 this morning and it was great.  I had new shoes that were awesome, I put a piece of toast and soy milk in my stomach before and soy milk after and that seemed to help a lot.  I never got out of breath but my heart rate was higher than I expected it to be since I was already a pretty fast walker.  I usually walk at 3.8 mph and that's what I was jogging at today and I didn't have any shin pain which is a first.  Must be the shoes.  This is the first time I've used a HRM so I'm not sure if I had it in the right spot (if that matters).  I'm rather top heavy for my size and I wore it below the breasts.  Would that be the right spot?

Well I just wanted to thank you all for the advice that I've found here.  I may pop in from time to time but there's another link with a group that started the program today so I think I'll visit with them for a while. I know when issues pop up I'll be back for more of your great advice.  You are all an inspiration to me and I'm taking the mindset that I WILL RUN!  At this point, I don't care how fast it is I just want to do it.

Hope you all have a great day!

Linda

Linda

Feb 6, 2010
    639. Feb 15, 2010 5:55 AM (in response to Dallasdoll08)

Linda,

Congratulations - you are on your way!  Please come back and visit with us, we need all the company and support too!

Well no snow in ATL this morning that encouraging.

Everyone have a great day.

sharon

• compguy Expert 58 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    640. Feb 15, 2010 6:01 AM (in response to Dallasdoll08)

Dallas,

If the monitor is registering your rate and the strap is comfortable you're fine.  On coffee before running - for me I don't because I try to keep my heart rate as low as I can during the run.  So I do orange juice and a bagel.  Actually I've cut back a lot on coffee since I began running for that reason.  Each morning now I have an orange juice and a bagel whether I'm running or not.  s I would be going very slowly if I stayed in zone 1 I stay mainly in zone 3ish to 4ish- but I'm not trying to lose weight now.  You still lose fat in those zones just not as qucikly as the lower.  I guess I'm trying a compromise between what's good for weight loss and what's good for the heart.  "middle of the roader".  My resting heart rate has dropped from around 80s when I started to a low (maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago last time I checked it) of 62.  Running definately helps.  I have a hunch I'll end up with resting heart rate in the high 50s.

• Dallasdoll08 Pro 111 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    641. Feb 15, 2010 6:16 AM (in response to compguy)

Compguy,

I did have coffee this morning along with my soy milk and toast.  Maybe I'll try cutting back on the coffee first thing before running and see if that makes a difference in my heart rate.  I believe in earlier posts you said it should be in the 50 to 55% range to burn the most fat?  Burning fat is what I'm after right now.  This jiggly tummy I've grown has got to go

Linda

• Sylvia1960 Pro 89 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    642. Feb 15, 2010 6:22 AM (in response to disneygal2)

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO, W4D1 done and I DID IT!!!!  I completed all the runs without stopping and just kept telling myself I can do this!!!!  It's so inspiring to complete a goal.  I can honestly say I am looking forward to how I will feel after completing W4D2 now AND I inspired my husband to get on board with this and he is running W1D1 on the treadmill while I type!!!

Started C25K January 25, 2010

Graduated at my first 5K, March 27, 2010 

Botanical Boogie 5K, March 27, 2010  -  38:19

Feb 6, 2010
    643. Feb 15, 2010 6:49 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Slyvia,

Yeah! I have to do one more in W3 then onto W4 - I'm nervous about it, but you give me courage, and now you are spreading it around - that's great.

I'm off today to see about some new running shoes.  Do you guys all use a HRM? What are the benefits?

sharon

• grayhairontherun Pro 94 posts since
    Dec 15, 2009
    644. Feb 15, 2010 7:06 AM (in response to runrunrn)

congratulations to everyone making it through C25K! Try to trust the system and just keep going even when you're afraid of the time/distance.

Sounds like lots of you are into the technology! I started running to get away from all that and just keep it simple. I don't own a treadmill (it took me a while to figure out what "TM" meant on these posts), don't go to a gym or track. I took this up to avoid all that. I laced up the shoes, opened my door and started w1d1. While I do enjoy my iPod, I don't use a heart monitor (though I own one). I figure if I can breathe comfortably and recover relatively quickly that I'm ok. I liked that it started with 30 minutes, out the door and back in. I figured I could devote at least that much time to myself and my health. And I was right! I could!

Today - w7d2! I'm taking an extra day between runs because I "feel" my calf injury for a day after the run and don't want to go back out on it until it feels "normal" again.

Kate - if you're out there - where did you get your running shoes fitted?

Patty

C25K: graduated Dec 2009
    restarted Jan 2010 after 2 wks off due to injury

Graduated March 7, 2010

Goal: run 5k regularly
1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 130 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...