Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

23427 Views 174 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2010 11:58 AM by Gracie Johnsey Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Previous Next
  • amcurran Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 13, 2010

I love it! This event was a very welcoming introduction to the city of Birmingham for me. I was able to see Birmingham sites from the Civil Rights Institute to Five Points South - an excellent tour of the city. I will definitely do it again!

• aperpt@yahoo.com Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007

This is my 9th Marathon, first time Birmingham Mercedes.  I can't complain too much since I did qualify for Boston, but in general I rate this race and it's support a B-.  They lost my bib number and I had to be issued a new number.  This caused me some anxiety, but no glitches from the new number assignment.  The course itself is not very asthetically pleasing and many of the roads were in rough shape.  This was a tough course because of several long hills, but nothing that you can't train for.  The first loop of the 2 loop course had GREAT support, but dwindled in comparison for the 2nd loop.  The finsish line support was fair, but the medals are AWESOME!  The host hotel was very accomodating for late check out, and it was convenient to the start and finish.  Suggestions for next year: 1. More pace groups 2. improve road conditions if able 3.ditch the caps- include course map/water stations etc. in the race pack 4. LOVE the long sleeved finisher's tech shirt-KEEP that!

• isacraig Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010

Good fun.  Needs improvement in Start and Finish coordination.  Awesome finisher technical shirt.  The race medal is hefty bling.  Crap pre-race bag.

Good fun for family and friends.

• dsptchr911 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 20, 2009

My first ever 1/2 marathon... couldn't believe the turnout!!!  Was a little chaotic when trying to assume a place in the starting lineup.  Appeared they only had one entrance gate where you had to fight your way forward or backwards... Once the race started the runners thinned out greatly and there was room to breathe. 

Overall enjoyed the course and hydration stations were adequately staffed.  Thought there could have been a few more port-o-lets but thankfully I didn't have to use any. 

My only real negative comment is that during registration you are requested to give your t-shirt size.  I, being a larger person, requested a 2XL.  As I ran across the finish line and rushed into the refreshment area, I was advised by one of the volunteers that the womens 1/2 marathon shirts only went to size XL.  I was greatly disappointed by this since an XL is a tight squeeze. 

Still enjoyed my experience and meeting so many new people.

• Ken Reichel Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 17, 2009

I did Birmingham because I couldn't get to Austin due to Delta canceling so many flight. 

On the plus side, I thought the event was generally well organized, the police officers were terrific as were the medals and shirts.  On the negative side, my girlfriend's results weren't recorded because she signed up at the expo and I was very disappointed that there was no national anthem at the beginning (that's just plain unacceptable).  

I'll do Austin next year.

• mc-cannon Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 17, 2008

I Really had a great time at Birmingham i thought thay did a great job everyone was very nice and helpful this is my first time to run the full mercedes marathon have run the half twice. Hope to see you all next year.

• mhampton30 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 20, 2008

this  was my thirteenth marathon...I thought all those responsible did a remarkable job.  It was very well organized, the course was pleasant, and the medal is fantastic!

• Bob Evans Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007

I live in Birmingham and have run either the 1/2 or full marathon for Mercedes since its inception. It is always well organized. I'm not a big fan of the double loop course simply because it seems so much harder the second time around. The results could not be right for the 15K posting. But, both of these criticisms are minor in the grand scheme. Great staffing for the water stops. The after race party is great. I love the shirts and the medals. I don't notice much of what I'm running through because I'm so focused on running.

• Pray often Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009

Overall, great event!  Plenty of water stations. Course was excellent with lots of friendly volunteers.  The start was a bit congested though and a larger area at the finish would have been nice.  I'd love to see them bring back an M-Class for a door prize.

• JayTButler Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010

Overall, I thought the race was great. This is my 3rd time running the half-marathon. I like the race a little better in 2008 when we ran up the mountain. But, overall a great race. The start seemed to be more crowded this year than in previous years, but once on the run, it was OK. The finish area was no good. The shirt pick-up area was terrible! Too crowded.

I will run it again next year. None of the above items were enough to make me not run again.

• Allen Rowland Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008

Enjoyed the race. Post-race party was fun. Wish you would consider establishing a Senior Master's Division (60 ) like many of the other well known half marathons/marathons

• d0431 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 31, 2009

To all who have complained about the caps: THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE!

• rachel717 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010

Thanks to Mercedes and the City of Birmingham for a wonderful marathon on Sunday, Feb 14. The course was well planned, the water stations plentiful, and the people across the board were friendly, helpful, and supportive. I really appreciated everyone!

• rachel717 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010

Thanks to Mercedes and the City of Birmingham for a wonderful marathon on Sunday, Feb 14. The course was well planned, the water stations plentiful, and the people across the board were friendly, helpful, and supportive. I really appreciated everyone!

• poomer Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008

My second Half Marathon - first was St Jude in Memphis.  Was disappointed in the music, etc along the course - Memphis had music at every mile - kept your spirits up!!!!

I do thank all the people that were along the course cheering us on though - was very nice of them.  The Birmingham Police officers were great - one was even encouraging us along - THANKS to them!!!!!!  Water stations were great!!!!!  Thanks for the water, gel, mints, cookies, beer - you guys did an awesome job.

The course had some really rough roads (alot of holes and a gentlemen in front of me fell in one) - hills were fun and challenging.  I just moved here from Illinois and was really excited about doing this but was a little disappointed.  LOSE the hat - most women do not wear hats!!!!!  Shirts are always welcome - the finisher shirt was good, but need to reorganize how they pass them out - give us more time to cool down and walk or just do away with and give a nicer long sleeve shirt for all.  I love the medal - thanks Mercedes.  The starting line up was a MESS!!!!!!  Memphis had corrals and started each one off a few minutes behind the other. NO NATIONAL ANTHEM???? WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT???  Also - really need music at the start. The after party was WAY too crowded - need a bigger place to have and more beer lines - had to wait about 20 minutes for a beer and the line was not marked very well.  SANDWICHES WERE WONDERFUL - but need more food available - like granola bars, fruit, etc.  Once you were done with the race and left the race area where the fruit and water, etc was you could not go back in and NO other food was available, except for the sandwiches.  Have done MANY 5K's with much more food available.  Volunteers were great, but noone could tell me where they were going to post times, etc, had to find that out on my own.  Seemed to be very disorganized at the beginning and end.  LOVED the beer at the 12th mile - how fun was that !!!!!  I will do this one again just because I live here now, would not travel though to do this one.  Thanks to all the volunteers and people along the route.  One question - since this is a Mercedes Marathon - they have a beautiful facility in Vance - would be a great place to hold the marathon if the logistics would work.  Plenty of parking, etc.??????? Am glad my entry fee went to a good cause.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...