Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5100 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2010 12:12 PM by Participant55 1 2 Previous Next
CraftingFish Amateur 14 posts since
Jun 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 15, 2010 12:25 PM

Treadmill Running

Does anyone else here like running on treadmills?

I was reading 50/50 this weekend, about the guy who ran 50 marathons in 50 days (I liked it, first running narrative book I've ever read), and he was talking about how running in urban areas/cities is bad, in particular Chicago, since the smog poses a bad risk to runners. This made me feel a lot better about the fact that I run almost exclusively indoors at a gym, seeing as I live in Chicago.

But, I've noticed a lot of people despise treadmill running. I suppose the one thing I can agree on is it does get monotonous; but I guess the science-y part of me loves being able to watch all the numbers, even if they're not wholly accurate, and keep track of everything constantly. And I guess I always do have a harder time breathing when I run outdoors, and maybe that is the smog, or maybe it's just the different temperature and air pressure or something. I like the idea of running in a stable environment, I guess.

So for anyone out there who also likes treadmill running, what do you like about it vs running outside?

• tracyontherun Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 31, 2010
    1. Feb 15, 2010 6:04 PM (in response to CraftingFish)
    Re: Treadmill Running

I run exclusively on a treadmill right now and, even though I plan to try moving outside again when the weather improves, I actually like running on the treadmill too.  Other than the obvious benefit of avoiding the cold weather and snowy/icy roads, I also like being able to run without having to constantly be alert for cars and not having to pause or stop at every intersection.  I feel like I'm more focused on my run on the treadmill than I would be outdoors (I live in an urban area and have to job about several miles to get to any trails, etc.).  And, honestly, I like being able to watch Sportscenter or the news while jogging sometimes.    Plus, it's easier to keep my water bottle in the drink holder of the machine than it is to carry it with my while running (I don't have a camelbak yet), so I also think I hydrate better on the treadmill.

Overall, running outside probably has benefits that the treadmill doesn't, but I don't mind treadmill running.

Please check out my blog at Run, Tracy, Run! for my experiences with the c25k program as I try to become a better runner.

Training for the Cherry Blossom 5k, April 11, 2010 in Washington, DC.

• tatiper Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 21, 2009
    2. Feb 15, 2010 4:15 PM (in response to CraftingFish)

Sorry... I am on the other team. I HATE the treadmill to the point that I rather run outside in the middle of a New England winter than use the one I have sitting idly in my living room. I don't know what it is, I just can't run as fast, as long, and as smoothly when I'm indoors.

1st Annual 1st Run 5K (01/01/2010): 31:34

Beverly Reindeer Run 5K (12/05/2009): 31:52

Feaster Five 5K (11/26/2009): 34:53

C25K graduation run 11/11/2009

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    3. Feb 15, 2010 5:45 PM (in response to tatiper)

I agree. It's kind of a necessary evil, and I also acknowledge some of the benefits that the original poster mentioned, including not having to watch for cars, and not breathing exhaust, etc. Can't argue with that!  But to me running exclusively on a treadmill is like a cyclist using only a stationary bike. They're getting a workout but it's somewhat less than the full experience.

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. Feb 15, 2010 8:28 PM (in response to CraftingFish)

I much prefer the roads to the treadmill, but I'll happily get on a treadmill under some practical conditions:

(1) If it's pouring rain outside - OK, I live in LA and I'm admittedly spoiled by its usually good weather.

(2) If I want to do pace calibration. It's a lot easier for me to use a gym treadmill than to find a school track that isn't locked up.

(3) If I'm on travel, the hotel has a decent gym and the surrounding neighborhood is not safe for running.

Distance is also a factor. I do primarily 5K/10K distances, and a typical 30 or 40 min treadmill workout isn't too boring. However, I wouldn't want to be training for a half marathon - or full marathon - and be spending hours on the treadmill.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• TEAM GRIFFEN Pro 26 posts since
    Jul 17, 2008
    5. Feb 15, 2010 10:07 PM (in response to CraftingFish)

Conditioning is very good on a treadmill, many athletes prepare on the treadmill because of its versatility. 

Enclosed is some more info on treadmill tempo runs 

TEAM GRIFFEN

Griffen Ellington Doctoral Candidate
    Mentoring learners around the World

Matrix

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    6. Feb 15, 2010 10:25 PM (in response to TEAM GRIFFEN)

Sure, it's great for conditioning, in fact I'll be on a treadmill in about 7 hours and had better get to bed soon! Folks like the original poster looking for a predictable environment for fitness purposes will probably be mostly happy on the treadmill. But those who might be seeking joy in running (like the other post tonight) or joy in cycling or rowing or golf ain't gonna find it at the gym or on the practice range.

• slowrunningpete Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    7. Feb 16, 2010 12:23 AM (in response to CraftingFish)

The only time I would run on a treadmill. If it was snowing so hard that I couldn't so in front of me. or if there was a down pour.

• Dallasdoll08 Pro 111 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    8. Feb 16, 2010 6:18 AM (in response to slowrunningpete)

I like the convenience of having the treadmill in my home.  I run at 5:30 a.m. and it's too dark (and scary) for me to run outdoors at that time of day.  It's also too far to drive to a gym or track, run, drive home and get dressed to get to work on time.  I like waking up and having it right there for me.  i will say that when the weather warms up I plan to do one of my runs on Saturday outside for the training benefits.  But then, what do I know, I'm really new at this.   I do know that whatever gets you moving, however you move, is better than nothing at all.

Linda

• Durunner Pro 92 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    9. Feb 16, 2010 8:34 AM (in response to CraftingFish)

We had record snowfall in Philly here last week.  I still completed 50 of my 54 miles for the week....outdoors.  That should tell you what I think of a treadmill.  I may die earlier from city smog, but I'll die much happier than if I ran in place like a hampster.

Chasing Boston

2009 Philadelphia Marathon 3:48:12

2010 Pocono Run for the Red Marathon 3:14:31

• Snowman79 Legend 483 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    10. Feb 16, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to Durunner)

I started running last May and was wholey against TM running because it seemed like a cop out.  Now since this is my first time trying to run through the winter, I've moved into a gym and I TM run now.  I think alot of people are against TM running because of the sheer boredom of going no where and the horrible tendency to watch the distance slowly tick away on the meter, seeming to take forever especially on a long run.  For me, I'd rather face the boredom of the TM than risk wiping on a sidewalk that someone didn't shovel and doing serious injury.  I know alot of runners who love training in the snow.  I've done about 7 races so far in the snow and have done fine in each.  I would rather just not risk with my clutziness to run and fall during a training run when I had another option. 

But to each his own and it'll be a debate that runners forever fued over.  We all have different training techniques and what works for one person won't work for another but we still do what we love!

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses.

• Kelly Holmberg Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 1, 2010
    11. Feb 16, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to CraftingFish)

I prefer running on a treadmill just because I can put my baby into kid's club.  I hate pushing the jogger stroller outside.  I find myself stopping or slowing down for no reason or just to check on my baby.  I also lack motivation when running outside by myself.  At least at the gym there are other people around to keep me motivated.

• smarcum02 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    12. Feb 18, 2010 5:15 PM (in response to CraftingFish)

I just started running this year with the C25K program, and I have loved the treadmill.  It helps me to push myself since I am forced to run at a particular pace.  If I were running outdoors, I think I'd be too tempted to slow down when it gets tough, but I refuse to hit the down button to slow down my pace on the treadmill, so I am left with the choice of pushing through or falling off the back of the treadmill...and so far I haven't chosen option B.

After 6 weeks though, I must admit, I don't see myself running forever on a treadmill as it is starting to get boring....although I have enjoyed watching the olympics as I run!

• oldcorp Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010
    13. Feb 18, 2010 5:23 PM (in response to CraftingFish)

I can understand you liking to run the treadmill if you live in a large city but isn't there a park nearby or on the weekends cant you get out to the country and run? I can't run on a treadmill, it hurts my knee's and ankles really bad when I try. i live in ohio and it has been hard to get out and run lately (lots of snow no removal of said snow) so I have been stuck inside doing the eliptical machine. I noticed that being on a machine seems much easier than running outside free of all the mechanical restraints. I do live in a smaller community so I do not have to contend with smog but I do have to deal with the burning of wood or leaves or what ever people in the neighborhood may be burning but I much rather run and deal with that then run inside, but to each their own as long as you like what you are doing.

• JMSalsman Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    14. Feb 18, 2010 7:37 PM (in response to CraftingFish)

I LOVE running on the treadmill, especially in winter.  I like how you can control how fast and see how far you go as well as how many calories you burn, etc.  Treadmills today are so sophisticated too!  You can set it to run a hill or a flat stretch or whatever you want to do and STILL not miss your favorite tv show... or in my case... favorite basketball team!  I will admit though, there's nothing like running outside when the winter FINALLY breaks and it's SO nice outside!  Great post though... something that made me think for sure! :-)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...