Skip navigation

2896 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2010 8:08 PM by CWCastelli
CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
Aug 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 16, 2010 1:36 PM

Goofy? ... or just freakin' nuts

My buddy's co-worker past away recently.  At one time I had talked to him about doing the Goofy at WDW.  So, the other day, feeling slightly fatalistic after the death of his friend, he brought up the topic, and wants to run it in 2011.  The question is - should I?  I've got 3 marathons (5 by next Jan) and a few 1/2s under my belt, as well a fully functioning heart.  So it this in the realm of the possible, especially if I ramp up the training?  I'm leaning towards running, especailly since it would be nice to run with someone to help motivate you.  And WDW is a very flat course.

Chris

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Feb 16, 2010 1:55 PM (in response to CWCastelli)
    Re: Goofy? ... or just freakin' nuts

Chris,

I had looked into it for this year back in Sept but just couldnt work the the kinks out of it to make it happen, its still on my plate and thinking for 2011 also. So I would say Yes go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I will see you down there.

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Feb 16, 2010 6:12 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

Well.  The other Chris (Sanford) has done it twice, so it is within the realm of possibility.  (I believe Jerry did it too.)  Admittedly, he is a little younger, but age and experience always beat youth and enthusiasm.  You may have to slow down some.  I got passed near the end of the marathon by a fellow about your size, who was finishing the Goofy.  This was about 6:30 into the race (I was participating with an injury) but he finished.  Training seems to include long run weekends of 10 on Saturday, 20 on Sunday.  Sounds like fun.  The race fills fast, so you need to decide.

Good luck.

Len

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    3. Feb 16, 2010 7:58 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Chris, it sounds like the epitome of reason compared to Jimmy's plan for October;  just ask yourselves the question:  Will having someone else you're running with make either of you do something unwise(r?) if someone gets to feeling puny along the way?  It's a lot easier sometimes to pull through together but also easier to tear the envelope you're just trying to push.........Good luck to you both!

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    4. Feb 16, 2010 8:01 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

No doubt you could do it, Chris!  If you're able to swing it, go for it!  Sounds like fun!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Feb 17, 2010 12:20 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

Chris-

I am giving very serious thought to Disney for 2011. My husband seems on board with it.

If you are willing to  do what you need to do to avoid injury...I say go for it!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• lukac7 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    6. Feb 17, 2010 12:41 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

I ran the Disney marathon in 2006, the innaugural year for the Goofy Challenge, at which point I thought it was a crazy (or Goofy) idea - something I'd never do.  In 2009, I ran the 5K and completed my first Goofy Challenge.  I used a modified marathon training program and simply added in an additional training run on Saturdays before my long run at half the distance to help simulate running that distance and intensity consecutively.  I think the plan worked well.  I was well prepared and recovered quickly.  If you are already running 2 marathons this year and you'll be running with someone, you are ready for Goofy 2011.  Good luck!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Feb 17, 2010 3:55 PM (in response to HALOjen)

Jen, in 2012, I want to do the Princess one again, this time bringing the tiniest unit.  You want to do it too?

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Feb 17, 2010 4:48 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Absolutely Charlotte! We're planning on it. If I agreed to it, Robert would want to go to Disney every year!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    9. Feb 17, 2010 6:11 PM (in response to HALOjen)

YEAH!!!! Jen!!!!

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    10. Feb 17, 2010 11:32 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

I am not a good example.   I am crazy.

I have done a few marathon doubles and they can be painful.

My first half/marathon double was Pikes Peak, that was nuts.  But on marathon day I ran an hour faster than the prior year and my ascent time was half an hour faster than the day before.  I committed to the races and forced myself to train.

I ran a 50K in December 2009.  I fell and broke a rib.  The next day I ran a marathon.  It was cold, wet and miserable.  I came in last in a field of 15.  The next week I ran a marathon and scored my best time in 3 years.  Go figure, and the rib still hurt.

My advice is to go for it. Sign up early because the race fills up.  You will be motivated to train after you commit.  Find a training plan and stick with it.

Run a marathon in October, November and December.

On WDW race weekend, enjoy the half. Take it easy and have fun.  On Marathon day go all out and if the weather is good then PR.

Good Luck

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• emilymargaret Pro 69 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    11. Feb 18, 2010 8:06 AM (in response to Stevemustangred)

Do it if you can. I ran WDW full this year and it was awesome-I loved every second. The only disappointing part of the whole weekend...I didn't do the Goofy. But it's on the radar.

Good luck with training!

• Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    12. Feb 18, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to emilymargaret)

Chris, my first Goofy was also my 4th marathon. It is well worth it, I had so much fun that I went back and did it again this year (not quite as fun, but with the whole snow/sleet/rain during the half, and then an average temp of 25 & wind chill bringing it to the mid teens...). But like others have said, if you are going to do it you have to register soon because it fills up quickly.

This first time I ran it, my training plan was to do half of my Sunday (long) distance on Saturday, to get used to back to back runs. Hal Higdons Intermediate I plan does close to this already, so is a good one to follow. This year I didn't focus on any specific training plan, but it was my 4th marathon since October. (MCM, Richmond, Vegas, Goofy). I think as long as you get the miles underneeth you, you'll be fine.

as for the races themselves, just make sure to be on the conservative side on Saturday, so you're not drained for Sunday. I also recommend going to one of the parks Saturday evening for a little while, or otherwise make sure you keep moving around to stay loose. Last year I did an icebath between races; since I was already an icecube this year I decided to pass on the bath. I also recommend trying to get a room at the French Quarter, if you plan to stay on property. You can walk to the start (it's actually a shorter walk from French Quarter:Port Orleans than it is from Epcot, where the busses drop you off) It also allows you to get another 30-45 minutes of sleep (both races start ~0600, so this can make a difference). You can see the starting lights as soon as you walk out of the resort gate, so no worries on getting lost.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...