Skip navigation

4252 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2010 3:48 AM by how2runfast RSS
LuckyMommy1 Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 8, 2010 8:45 PM

shin pain

I'm training for a 5k race and I'm having shin splint type pain and it hurts to run. Any advice?

• Jenn2010 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    1. Jan 13, 2010 1:56 PM (in response to LuckyMommy1)
    Re: shin pain

What type of shoes are you wearing?  I was expericing the same thing until I switched to shoes that actually gave me the support I needed.  Hope this helps.

• nursepammi Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2. Jan 21, 2010 6:51 AM (in response to LuckyMommy1)

walking or jogging backwards to stretch the muscles and decrease sorness always works for me..... just got to be careful!

• frankmcs Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    3. Jan 21, 2010 12:28 PM (in response to LuckyMommy1)

I used to get shin splints all the time until I started stretching them before and after a long walk or run. A good way to do this is stand with your back to a curb, hook the top of your foot over the curb and pull towards the sidewalk. You should feel it in your shin.

• &good4me2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 13, 2009
    4. Jan 24, 2010 7:31 AM (in response to LuckyMommy1)

Gotta love shin splints!!  I am dealing with the same issue..  It generally takes me the first 30 minutes of high activity before they can't hurt anymore.  A new friend who's struggling with the same problem suggested lifting small weights with just the front of your feet.   It's worth a try.

• Mimikrupin Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 23, 2010
    5. Jan 24, 2010 4:43 PM (in response to LuckyMommy1)

Change your shoes!   I suffer from shin splints when my shoes need to be replaced... good shoes are key.

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    6. Feb 19, 2010 3:48 AM (in response to LuckyMommy1)

There are several potential causes for shin splints.  You may have increased your mileage too quickly, added hills, increased your pace, or run on a harder surface (concrete).  If this is the case, ease off until your shins feel better and then increase gradually.

If you have low arches and your shoes show wear on the inside of the sole, you may be overpronating and a motion-control shoe may help you.

You may be overstriding and landing on your heels.  Count the number of strides you take per minute.  The easiest way to do this is to count the number of times that your right (or left) foot lands each minute, then multiply by 2.  If you breathe in the common 2-2 pattern (breathe in for 2 strides, breathe out for 2 strides), you can count the number of breaths you take in a minute and multiply by 4. Studies have shown that 180 strides per minute is optimal for efficient running. If you get an number that is much lower than 180, you are overstriding.  Shorten your stride and increase your leg turnover, making sure that your feet land under your body.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points