Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

60436 Views 381 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2010 5:28 PM by Go MiChelle Go to original post 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 Previous Next
  • Flatlander62 Pro 80 posts since
    Jan 9, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    375. Feb 21, 2010 6:38 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)
    Re: Week 5 - I'M SO STOKED!!!

Ahh Jenn, you're a speed demon! Great work!

Everyone--you may have seen I started the new thread. Hopefully we can get everyone together in one thread and have a month-long graduation celebration.

Started W2D1 January 9, 2010

First 5k, Run for the Paws 1/30/10, 36.01

Hope, Love & Faith MS 5k, 3/6/10, 31.31

S.B.K. Run for the Cure 5k, 3/13/10, 34.03

Firecracker 5k, 7/4/10, 33.16

John Clay 5k, 9/4/10, 30.39

Halloween Crazy 8k, 50.20

NEXT:

Ft. Lauderdale 13.1 Half Marathon, 11/14/10

• philaRUN Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 27, 2008
    376. Feb 22, 2010 11:21 AM (in response to SayUCan)
    Re: Starting Cto5k Monday the 4th - Who's in?

Hi All, I haven't done an update in a while (but I have been reading everyone's posts) and like some others I fell off the wagon for about 2 weeks and GAINED a few pounds.    But I went back yesterday, going back to W3D1.  I thought it wouldn't be too hard because i had already completed W3 but i was definitely wrong.  taking those 2 weeks off was no help at all and I ran outside for the 1st time in the training so I wasn't able to control my speed, i think i was running too quickly and the cold air was killing my chest but I was determined to finish and I did!  but it was hard, those 5min runs were a killer.

Flatlander did you ever make it to Philly? and were you able to run outside or was it during our snowstorm?

Jenn - your post this past Sunday was a real motivator for me! Thanks! and congrats on your progress!

I know i'm 2-3 weeks behind most of you but I would love to join the new thread to continue to stay motivated by everyone!

• Dtiki Pro 63 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009
    377. Feb 22, 2010 1:22 PM (in response to philaRUN)
    New Thread?

Aloha everyone!  It's been super crazy for me since I've returned from my trip.  Turns out I'm on my way to the Ukraine March 13th for 2 weeks!    I was hoping it would happen and now I'm trying to keep up with contracts, flight bookings, overnights in London there and back, etc.  Plus the place I'm going to be working at is not what you would call 4 star.  Or even 2 star!  (better than where I worked out of in Nepal - at least Ukraine has hot water!)  So I'm gathering info from folks that have worked there before - bring my own towel, bring dehydrated camp food, prepare to be cold, etc.  Luckily I've been approved for an overnight each way in London.  I'm sooo excited about that!  I might have 12 hours each time to hop the tube to London and explore.  I don't care how tired I am - I'm going to maximize my time in London.

Needless to say - hubby is not happy with me.  He really, really, really wants to go to London.  (I just really, really, really want to travel.)  But I told him that if I like London it will motivate me to schedule a vacation there!  Ha!

I've still done my running (thankfully).  I missed yesterday due to a animal behavior seminar.  I felt like a slug sitting all day long but such is life.  I will miss runs and I will need to learn to live with it or adjust my schedule.  Hubby says to just mark it as a missed run.  Do my Zumba tonight and my run tomorrow and keep up the schedule.  Not a big deal.

Still - I felt like a slug.  Blah!    I did no physical exercise yesterday!  Hard to do when I'm used to walking a few miles a day + any exercise and running I put in.

Humidity - I THRIVE in the humidity.  When I travel I feel like I shrivel up!  My lips, my skin, my throat, my eyes - they all dry out.  I love Hawaii for the humidity.  And while I can get away with wearing more stylish clothing (and skin friendly deodorant) on the mainland, I feel the humid weather is better for me.  No lotions needed!

The weather has been very cold here for Hawaii.  My thermometer in the bedroom has gone down to a record low of 60 degrees!  60!  We have no heater that kicks on - it's just us and our socks and blankets!    I have run in the eves on the cold and windy nights and like the tingle/chill I feel on my legs.  Whew!

Running Skirt - someone asked about it.  It's all I run in.  I LOVE it.  No chub rub and it's quite cool to run in.  Here is my favorite:  http://shop.lululemon.com/RunSpeed_Skirt/pd/c/580/np/580/p/1841.html

Well - if there is a new thread - keep us posted! 

Denise

U.S. Navy Seabee 5K Feb. 6th, Pearl Harbor HI - first 5k ever - 40:11

Project Graduation 5K April 10, Kailua HI - 36:02 (NEW PR!!!)

Alaska Mayor's Marathon 5.6 mile run, June 19, Anchorage AK - 1:01:56 !!

Runway Run 5k, July 4, Kailua HI - 34:49 (Another PR!)

Coconut Chase 8k, July 11, Waikiki HI - 56:04

Mango Days 5k, Aug 8, Waikiki HI -

Na Wahine Triathlon, Sept 12, Waikiki HI -

Walt Disney World Half Marathon 2011

• Flatlander62 Pro 80 posts since
    Jan 9, 2010
    378. Feb 22, 2010 4:11 PM (in response to philaRUN)
    Re: Starting Cto5k Monday the 4th - Who's in?

PhilaRun: Hi again--glad you made it back! I did not get to run in Philly. I was scheduled to fly in on the day of the big snow, so I stayed here and attended the 2-day conference via phone. Talk about 2 long days! I think I would rather have flown in and gotten to throw a few snowballs and run on the hotel treadmill. Certainly nothing like Dtiki's work travels. My, you are one busy lady with an exciting life! And the first person I've heard say they like the humidity. Dryness is horrible for my skin, so I'm not sure how I'd do in say Arizona, but the humidity here sometimes sucks the life right out of me.

I started the new thread and we've got some new members over there so come on over. 

Started W2D1 January 9, 2010

First 5k, Run for the Paws 1/30/10, 36.01

Hope, Love & Faith MS 5k, 3/6/10, 31.31

S.B.K. Run for the Cure 5k, 3/13/10, 34.03

Firecracker 5k, 7/4/10, 33.16

John Clay 5k, 9/4/10, 30.39

Halloween Crazy 8k, 50.20

NEXT:

Ft. Lauderdale 13.1 Half Marathon, 11/14/10

• BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    379. Feb 22, 2010 10:38 PM (in response to Dtiki)
    New Thread-opened by Flatlander

Denise

The running skirt is awesome, I'd never seen one before.  Maybe when I get a little slimmer I'll get one.   It gets REALLY dry and hot here in the summer and something like that would be handy.  Not like Arizona, Death Valley hot....July is the hottest and has an average of 100 degrees or so. You would NOT like it!   We have single digit humidity sometimes and can go a month or more without rain...that the high desert life, I guess.

I  found the new thread:  It's entitled "March Graduation C25K" and started by Flatlander.  It wasn't too far down the page of threads.  Several of our buddies have switched over, as well as new faces that have joined.

What do you do that you're able to travel so much? Your list of where you've been in the world is impressive.

Hope you find it! 

Jenn

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• rancid13 Pro 79 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    380. Feb 23, 2010 5:10 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)
    Re: New Thread-opened by Flatlander

Hey all! I've just gotten all caught up with posts from the last 4 days.

I'll go in search of that other thread to join up with it.

I finish the program on Thursday, and have my first 5K on Saturday. I can't wait! Forecast says 60% chance of rain that day and I LOOOOVE running in the rain so here's hoping!

Until yesterday I'd been somewhat sidelined for 1.5 weeks with what feels like a shin splint on my left leg. I've been doing my workouts on the elliptical instead and also got a bit behind on the program (I should've finished week 9 last week, oops). On a good note, yesterday was my first run outdoors in 1.5 weeks and it was a 30 minute run. I managed 2.85 miles with a pace of 10.36 min per mile which is so far the best pace I've had yet!! I was very pleased. If I had run another +-2 minutes it would've been a 5K run. If I can run a similar pace in my 5K, that would put me at about 32.12 minutes for the 5K. Not quite the 10-minute mile I was hoping for by this point, but not too far off from it either!

Jenn~ way to go!! That's such great news and a great motivator to keep it up! Whoohoo!

Go Michelle ~ I think I found your C25K and Beyond group on Facebook, I hope it's the right one as I just put in my request to join.

I'm going to go look for that other thread that we're talking about merging with.....

Jennifer

• Go MiChelle Pro 81 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    381. Feb 23, 2010 5:28 PM (in response to rancid13)
    Re: New Thread-opened by Flatlander

Rancid/Jennifer,

Yes, you found my group! So glad for you to join. I hope to encourage some friends/friends of friends to be more active, but as you will see, I am the only one posting on the page. My friend is still running but has not been posting her workouts. lol

I have to go in search of the new thread, too.

Good luck on your 5k! I'm sure you will do great and in awesome time too.

Michelle

Past Races

US 10k Classic, Smyrna, GA Labor Day 2009 untimed

Critz Tybee 5k, Tybee Island, GA February 6, 2010 39:37

7th Annual Jog for a Cause 5k, Alpharetta, GA March 13, 2010 42:20

2nd Annual Terrapin Beer 5k Plus One More Mile, Athens, GA, April 10, 2010 54:21

Country Music Marathon & 1/2 Marathon, Nashville, TN April 24, 2010 2:56:40

Upcoming Races

Critz Tybee Half Marathon, Tybee Island, GA February 5, 2011

Join my group C25k and Beyond on Facebook!

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points