Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2115 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2010 11:00 AM by Francessmom RSS
TyKy Pro 134 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2010 8:19 PM

Runaway Parents 2/22

Evening runaways,

I am shocked that nobody as started a thread yet.  I know it has been a busy day for me, and I assume as well for you.  Sometimes mondays are just like that.  Anyway I got only 2 miles in today.  I was scheduled for 3, but my body just couldn't get going.  I even did those 2 miles over 1 min slower than I normally do.  I think its because yesterday I ended up eating McDonalds for Breakfast and Dinner.  Yuck and double yuck for nutrition.  It was just one of those "special" days that happens once every 20 years or so....... but thats just the way it ended up.   Anyway I am scheduled 2 for tomorrow so I'll just try for 3 instead. I also bought a foam roller this weekend.  Goodness that thing can ache.  It looks so simple and it is, but ouch!  Its almost hard to believe its good for the body.  I sure hope it works out!

I will comment on the ending posts from last week tomorrow.  Sorry, but just don't have the time right now.  I hope all you ladies have a wonderful night!

TyKy

• TMachen Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009
    1. Feb 23, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to TyKy)
    Re: Runaway Parents 2/22

Hi there TyKy!

Thanks for getting us started!  I went to Florida for a last minute fun trip from early Friday to late last night.  Today I'm unpacking, doing laundry, catching up on homeschool and preparing to teach at co-op tomorrow! whew!

I did manage to run twice while I was down there. 4.2 miles on the hotel treadmill Saturday morning. Was supposed to run 6 and was set to until I got a big ol' blister in the middle of my big toe. Walked a few miles on the beach Saturday afternoon...could totally do that every day! So gorgeous!

I bought some 'blister band aids' that really helped so Monday morning I ran 3.92 around Marco Island. I'm supposed to run 2 miles today and may manage to later, but I'm am drowning in "TO DO's"!

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    2. Feb 23, 2010 11:10 AM (in response to TMachen)

Hello Runaways!

I did my Swim-A-Cross last night and was able to complete the maximum of 100 laps!  My 10 y/o participated too.  It took us both a little over an hour, but she did finish ahead of me. Today it is raining and all the snow is beginning to melt, so my son and I headed over to the Fieldhouse for some running laps.  I did 4 miles in 36.51!  I was pretty beat by the end though. Not sure if tomorrow will be a rest day or not.  I will see how I feel in the morning.

Well this Friday is my 45th birthday.  I try not to focus on age.  I certainly don't feel 45.  In fact I feel younger now than I did 7 years ago mainly because I am in much better physical shape.  That said, I do move up an age bracket in race categories to the 45 to 49 bracket.  Hopefully I will place higher in my race results.

Thursday I am going to my mom's for lunch which I am sure will include cake.  Friday night we will have the cake my kids make for me.  My hubby wants to take me out to eat too! It is going to be tough to eat right and get my runs/swims in.  I guess it only happens once a year - thank goodness!

Tyky - Sounds like you had a good weekend.  What is a foam roller?!

Tracy - I am so jealous of you.  The snow here is in various stages of melting, and it is dirty and ugly.  The rain is miserable and cold.  The beach sounds absolutely lovely.  What a way to recharge!  I 'm sure all the chores are worth the weekend away.

Stay healthy and happy!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    3. Feb 23, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Ty Ky, I saw a photos of a foam roller on Google. Being the goofball I am, I would probably hurt myself using one of them.

Marie, Happy Birthday this week! Great time on your four miles! You must have burned mega calories swimming 100 laps. Wow.

I ran two miles on Sunday. I am supposed to have a long run tomorrow, 7 miles. I don't think I will be able to do it though. My 10 y/o and I have colds and some asthma symptoms. If my chest is still tight I'm just going to stick to the stationary bike. I don't even know if I will be able to walk. The air is very humid and warm and it really hurts my chest right now. I feel sad that I may not be able to run but at least this is happening this month and not near our upcoming 5K.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    5. Feb 24, 2010 7:30 PM (in response to TyKy)

TyKy, thanks for your advice about not eating before I run. I have been doing this since September and it threw me for a loop because it never bothered me until my last couple of runs. Hmmmm.

Your foam roller sounds great.

I am thrilled. Yesterday I doubted I would be able to run at all today let alone complete my long run of seven miles today.
    I did wake up during this morning at 0400 with some intractable asthmatic coughing. I took some guaifenesin and fell back to sleep at about 0500. I slept until 8:30 and felt so much better than I did yesterday.
    I ran three and a half miles and a big downpour of rain started. There was thunder too so I went inside. I followed TyKy's advice and didn't have my usual banana before my run.

I wasn't sure how long it the rain would continue and I was starving so I ate a tiny spinach salad with a small amount of chickpeas.
    About 45 minutes later the rain had ceased. I gave the boys more school work to complete and then went back out to complete my seven miles. I did have a little discomfort from the salad but it was nothing to write home about.
    My entire run/walk time was 2 hours and 27 minutes. My total running time was 49 minutes and my total walking time was 98 minutes. That's approximately 555 calories burned.

Happy Running!

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

Feb 11, 2009
    6. Feb 25, 2010 9:57 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Hi All!

It is snowing again today and tonight it si supposed to get really nasty with heavy snow and wind gusts over 50mph.  I decided I need to run outside today. Since it has been above freezing the past day or two, the streets and sidewalks are mostly just wet.  We do still have some snow piles and some unshoveled areas.  Even though the snow is coming down, I set out for a run.  I ran 4.3 miles in 41.27!  It felt really good to be running outside with changing scenery.  I have had amild cold for about a week.  Halfway through the run I had alot of mucus from my lungs and I did something I have never done before - I spit!  It felt disgusting but was very effective in clearing my airway.  I usually spit into a tissue, but today I forget to bring one.  How do you all feel about this?

No lunch at my mom's today.  She lives north and west of me about 40 miles and it started snowing there last night.  The roads are likely to be icy.  I hope to be able to go next week sometime instead.

Karen - Way to stick it out.  I wouldn't have gone back out to finish the 7.  Good job!

TYky - I can totally realte to running outside.  It felt so good to be outside today.

Have a great day everyone!

Marie

Confucius

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    7. Feb 25, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to TyKy)

Hey ladies!

I've been MIA for a while, so I had to go back to the end of last week's posts to see what you have all been up to.

TyKy Awesome that you got to run outside!  I take it for granted, since it's rarely gets below freezing here, but oh wow, when you mentioned getting in the sauna afterward --- ahhhhh, now that would be NICE.  The foam roller thing sounds cool too.  Good for you taking care of your body!

Marie  Happy Birthday in advance!  It sounds like you are really rocking your runs lately.  Enjoy that cake!!  I laughed at your post last week about wearing your workout clothes everywhere.  I do the same thing.  I'm a lawyer and I have a solo practice where most of my appointments are via phone, so unless I have a face-to-face meeting or a hearing, I am in my workout clothes too.  Then I'll make a detour to the running trail before I pick my daughter up from school.  The people in the office next door must think I'm odd, but why lug around an extra set of clothes?

Karen  I hope you and your son are feeling better.  Congrats on the dress shopping.  It sounded like a fun time with your 5 year old!

Tracy M  Glad you had a good trip to Florida.

Dr Ty  I don't know how you do it,  it sounds like you have such a busy schedule!  It sounds like you are making real progress.  I loved "Eat Pray Love" by the way.  I wish I could take off for a country-hopping adventure.  To be honest, the "Eat" part sounded most divine to me!

Rebecca  Tendonitis is no fun, but I am so glad to hear that it's not something more serious.  Take care of yourself!

Tracy P   I hope you are having the best week ever!  Your hubby is home -- yay!  And good luck this weekend!  I can't wait to hear all about your 5K experience.

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice on the running / nursing issues.  My little guy has been running a fever since Saturday, so we went to the pediatrician on Monday and Zachary had gained 10 ounces since his checkup 2 weeks ago.  I've been drinking more water and trying to incorporate more little snacks.  I think it's helping.

So running-wise, I've had a slow start to the week.  I had a pretty full schedule this weekend, and a sick baby to boot.  This week I have three 28-minute runs on my C25K program.  I ran on Monday -- it was the first time I hit 5K.  Then I had a girls day with my daughter on Tuesday (more on that to come).  Yesterday my husband couldn't watch the baby and baby was too sick to go in the jogging stroller in this wet, cold weather.  So I just got my 2nd run in this morning.  I am starting to wonder if my NikePlus is off.  It's got me running 3 miles in 26 minutes the last 2 runs.  I don't think I'm running that fast.  Guess I will find out next weekend at the 5K!   Regardless, I still love how it lets me know that I am running further and faster than I used to.

On the home front, my daughter and I played hooky Tuesday and drove a couple hours to visit my sister-in-law at her salon.  I went in a beachy blonde, and came out with really really dark auburn hair.  I'm a little shell-shocked.  I was thinking a nice light red would be cool, but my sis-in-law had other ideas.  I guess I am going to have to learn to rock the goth look for awhile!  Then my little guy just can't get over what the doctor said is just a nasty cold.  It is so frustrating to see him feeling so puny.

I hope everyone is doing well.  Maybe we'll all get a little warmer weather soon & all get to rave about some glorious outdoor runs!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

Jul 22, 2009
    8. Feb 25, 2010 8:25 PM (in response to TyKy)

What a week! Sorry for the lack of shout outs.  I have a head cold now. It started Tuesday and was in full force by Wed.  I was supposed to run 2 miles Tuesday but I stayed up too late Monday and slept in.  Yesterday I felt awful so I didn't do much of anything. I did run my 4 miles today but really struggled to breathe.  I'm going to try to make up my 2 miles tomorrow and then run 6 on Saturday.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying warm! Come on spring!!!

~ Tracy

~Ovid

Jul 22, 2009
    10. Feb 26, 2010 5:44 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Happy Birthday to you, Marie!! I hope you have a great day!!

~ Tracy

~Ovid

Feb 11, 2009
    12. Feb 26, 2010 11:00 AM (in response to TyKy)

Happy Friday!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! 

It snowed again and is still snowing, so the kids have another snow day.  It was really nice 'cause I got to sleep in until 9 AM!  I haven't done that in ages!  My oldest is baking a cake as I type and the house smells soo good!  Everyone is being nice and trying to get along.Birthdays can be nice isf you ignore the number.

I won't be running today, but shovelling is a going to be a necessity.  I also plan to go to the local framer's market for some fresh fruits and veggies.

Tracy P. - I hope you have been having a great week with your guy!  Good luck on the 5K on Sunday!

Ali - Sounds like you're doing everything right in regards to nursing your son.  He will get better soon; just keep yourself healthy too!

Tracy M. - I hope you feel better soon. I always wondered if it is better to continue exercising when you have a cold or to rest.  Usually, the first day or two of a cold,  I feel too congested to work out.  Then if the symptoms are starting to lessen, I modify my routine.  When I had swine flu in the fall, it was a major respiratory event.  I couldn't run for at least 2 weeks.  But I made sure I walked daily.  I am a big believer in napping especially when under the weather.  Good luck on the mileage!

Tyky - Soon it will be spring and all our runs can be outside!

Rebecca - I hope the ankle is getting better.  Let us know how you are doing.

I hope everyone has great weekend runs!

Marie

Confucius

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...