Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5694 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2010 4:59 PM by Chris9446 1 2 Previous Next
Billy1514 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 27, 2010 9:26 AM

Running socks?

Im currently running in the nike running socks however they are pilling and the seems at the toe can be quite trying. They've been causing a lot of heat lately as well.  I wash them in the gentle cycle and very low heat in the dryer with the delicates.  Is there a better type of running sock i should try?  I've seen underarmor running socks and starter in my area. suggestions?  Also ive been hearing/reading about petrolium jelly on the feet.... ?

• AUWalker Expert 38 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    1. Jan 27, 2010 9:47 AM (in response to Billy1514)
    Re: Running socks?

Adidas makes several decent models that I like. My local Costco carries one of the versions (note, they have a running sock, and a footie/"no show" athletic sock with the same/similar color scheme, so make sure you get the running sock). The other adidas sock I like, I just picked up at a Fred Meyer (similar to Walmart if you don't have them where you live). As the previous mentioned sock, I don't know the exact name, I think it's something to do with heat control (coolmax etc).  These all sell for $12 or less for a pkg of 2-3 pair.

In both cases they are fairly cheap yet durable.

"I find the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have"

Thomas Jefferson

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/27/09 Bridle Trails 5k Trail Run, Kirkland, WA // 28:25.1

7/18/09 Bill Burby 5K, Vashon Island, WA // 27:42.6

7/25/09 Sefair Torchlight Run (8k) Seattle, WA // 53:59

11/26/09 Thanksgiving Cross Country Classic (5k), Tucson, AZ // 27:28.2

3/13/10 JJ Mahoney's St. Patrick's Day 5k, Redmond, WA //25:26

5/23/10 The Monkey Run 5k, Snohomish, WA //24:41.4

Upcomming:

6/26/10 Bridle Trails 5k Trail Run, Kirkland WA// This will be my anniversary of running!

7/31/10 Sefair Torchlight Run (8k) Seattle, WA//

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 27, 2010 10:36 AM (in response to Billy1514)

I use Thorlo and Wigwam.  I bought both brands at Sports Authority.

Thorlo is by far my favorite.  I have one pair that is several years old and not showing any signs of wear and I don't give them any special care or washing.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• caesar_august Pro 85 posts since
    Aug 3, 2009
    3. Jan 27, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to Billy1514)

my personal favorite socks are the baluga socks. They are by far the most comfortable (and cushioned) socks that I have tried.

I found them at Fleet Feet.

Click Here To Download Your Free Body Fat Calculator

Personal Running Blog: Photos And Running

Upcoming Races/Events:

Past Races/Events:

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Jan 27, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to Billy1514)

I have a bunch of Thorlos crew and mini-crew, which I like but they're not cheap ("Light Running" which are a little thinner than their standard running socks).  Some of my Thorlos are eight years old though, so they wear well. I also have a couple pair of Injinji toe socks, very nice, thinner than the Thorlos and more expensive.  They help to minimize blisters.  And I have a variety of other socks of unknown pedigree.

Len

Len

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    6. Jan 27, 2010 4:50 PM (in response to Billy1514)

I use the THICK Thorlos.  They last a LONG time and no issues with blisters for me since.

• NgoWay Jose Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    7. Feb 14, 2010 10:17 PM (in response to Billy1514)

I second the Balega Socks suggestion.  This brand offers a couple of different lengths, and choice of thin, medium, thick.  They are so comfortable; they keep their form, and they stay in place.  I don't run in any other brand of socks.  They generally cost between $7 or $8 but they are very durable; I only wear them to run and they've lasted at least three years.  I have tried Injinji's in the past, and I like them, but not as much as Balega.  I still use the Bodyglide or petroleum jelly on my feet during long runs; don't know if I need to, but better safe than sorry.

• TEAM GRIFFEN Pro 26 posts since
    Jul 17, 2008
    8. Feb 14, 2010 10:45 PM (in response to Billy1514)

You can get socks from your local running store,  TJ Maxx or EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKE-ELITE-VENT-RUNNING-TRIATHLON-CYCLING-SOCKS_W0QQitemZ290402000981QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel?hash=item439d4ee055

I use Asiac compression socks/footi and I have had no more foot problems.

TEAM GRIFFEN

Griffen Ellington Doctoral Candidate
    Mentoring learners around the World

Matrix

• Haselsmasher Legend 520 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    9. Feb 17, 2010 10:02 PM (in response to Billy1514)

Smartwool.  I love them.  They're not cheap, but they are fantastic.

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    10. Feb 26, 2010 11:34 AM (in response to Billy1514)

I've heard alot of good things about smartwool lately.  I have the Nike running socks.  I love the compression, but the toe area is so small...even for the mens 8-12's.  My little toes hurt so bad.

I've actually been wearing these lately and I'm really liking them:  http://www.rei.com/product/767641  WrightSocks.  I love the tab socks also.  If I wear the no-see-ums my skin gets peeled off.  Ouch!

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• hkay Rookie 2 posts since
    May 22, 2008
    11. Mar 14, 2010 7:26 PM (in response to Billy1514)

I love the Smartwool phd light weight running socks.  They wick, and comfortable and last a very long time.  I love them!  I have recently started trying Wright Socks. They are also veyr nice.  They do not seem to wick as well as Smartwool, but they have a double layer of fabric on the toes which seems to be helping with blisters that I repeatedly get on the tips of my toes. 

Every time I head to a running store, there seems to be a new brand out there. But I have found that the extra money is usually worth it.

Good luck!

• scotjs008 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 6, 2008
    12. Mar 14, 2010 7:26 PM (in response to Billy1514)

I wear Champion High Performance - they wear and wash great -good cushion and absorb sweat nicely.

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    13. Mar 15, 2010 3:58 AM (in response to Billy1514)

I run in Thorlos in warm weather and Smart Wool Adrenaline Light Mini Crews in the winter.  I use Body Glide on my feet to prevent blisters on long runs.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• eyemkeith Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    14. Mar 15, 2010 1:59 PM (in response to Billy1514)

I picked up a couple of pairs of "Feetures'' socks from my local running store. They're the first running sock I've tried, so I don't know how all of you think they stack up, but I gotta say I'm in love with them.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points