Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1173 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2010 11:31 AM by lenzlaw RSS
ChristopherArnold Amateur 10 posts since
Jun 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2010 9:59 AM

Ouch, ouch, ouch... Achilles Advice Needed

Last night I strained my achilles at the very end of my last training run before a 15 mile race scheduled for tomorrow.

Immediately and throughout the night, I iced and elevated the sore tendon.  This morning it still was sore but as the afternoon has progressed it is feeling better.  However, the pain comes and goes .  One moment I am walking footloos and fancy free and the next moment I am in pain and limping like Verbal Kent from the Usual Suspects (before the big reveal that he is, in fact, Kiser Sosa).

My questions are three fold:

(1)  How do I know if it is torn (or partially torn) rather than merely strained?

(2)  Can I recover in time to run 15 miles tomorrow morning?  If so, what do I need to do?

(3)  Could I damage the tendon more if I run on a strained tendon?

Any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

• zepcrmc Expert 45 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    1. Feb 26, 2010 11:20 AM (in response to ChristopherArnold)
    Re: Ouch, ouch, ouch... Achilles Advice Needed

If you pulled it I would say to stay off of it and let this race go by without being there. You could cause more damage by running and putting you out of commision for even longer. Make an appointment with a good PT that understands running so you can get the issue solved for good

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Feb 26, 2010 11:31 AM (in response to zepcrmc)
    Re: Ouch, ouch, ouch... Achilles Advice Needed

Agreed.  Sounds like the race is a bad idea.  You would probably know if it were completely torn because it has this annoying tendency to "roll up" the back of your leg, and requires surgery to repair.  The difference between a sprain and a partial tear, I imagine, is mostly a matter of pain level and recovery time.  Either way there is a risk of more serious injury if not treated properly.  In my mind, you just don't mess around with an achilles injury.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points