Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2966 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 10:59 AM by motherofhalle
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2010 4:31 PM

San Bernardino Sunset Rotary's 24th Annual Tinman & 5K Event Reviews

Share your experiences with the San Bernardino Sunset Rotary's 24th Annual Tinman & 5K Event below Back to event details page.

• Jon C. Brissman Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 24, 2009

I ran the event last year and was much impressed.  Great organization, scenic course along the foothills through the Cal State San Bernardino campus, plenty of water stations (it was hot!), an amazing number of valuable door prizes, the national anthem sung at the start, and an atmosphere of fun.  I can't think of what else a competitor, or at least a plodder like me, could want from an event.

JCB

• oldTrainComing Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010

My niece won her age division last year and had a great time.  So this year I figure I have to beat her.  Hopefully

Plus the people organizing the event are incredibly easy to work with.

• Lon Herrera Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009

I ran this race twenty years ago and I forgot how awesome an event it is. I especially enjoy the events appeal to a wide range of ability levels. It has a positive atmosphere for all participants. The challenging hill through Devils Canyon gives you a feeling of accomplishment and the ride down the hill can hit speeds in the 40 mph range. The finisher medals are a nice touch to a thoroughly enjoyable event. I definitely won't wait another twenty years to compete. I can't wait to sign up for next year.

• sharonboy Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007

I have participated in the Tinman Rotary tri for several years. It has always been a well-run race. In the past the start time was later and it was very hot. The start time this year was earlier than before and much cooler. Kudos to the volunteers and race organizers for a fantastic job.

• Peter the Leader Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010

6-27-10

Absolutely, positively a great event!

The organizers and volunteers do a fantastic job.

Parking is easy and convenient.

The Pre-registration was organized and fast.

Ample room for the bikes.

The course is well marked and the volunteers are at key points to keep everyone on course and also to give encouragement.

The Start and Finish lines are clearly indicated and again the volunteers wouldn?t let you miss anything. And when you?re doing the Tri, these things are vital.

The police maintained traffic control to keep cars off the course.

The course itself is beautiful. Devil?s Canyon is a killer! The weather was perfect.

I?m ready to do it again next weekend!

The Loma Linda organizers should learn something from this event.

• Shoe Addict Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2010

My first Sprint Triathlon, so I was scared witless, but I need not have worried.  This event was one of the best organized I have ever attended.  Excellent volunteers and plenty of them.  Run was on campus, very pleasant.  Bike route started on campus, then onto local roads - all junctions shut off by police force.  One steep hill up a canyon at about mile 2-3, but no other craziness.  Pool swim set out in lanes, which you zig zagged across then exited pool and ran to finish.

For a beginner, this event was a perfect intro to Tri.  I would highly recommend it.  Well done to the organizers for a superbly run event!

• JayleneWelch0 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 8, 2010

This was my first ever athletic competition of any kind.  I did it with my sister and my 22 year old daughter.  The course was beautiful and as everyone has said Devils Canyon lives up to its name.   I am by no means in "shape" but I do cycle regularly.....this is a perfect beginners Tri and I would encourage anyone considering it to just go for it!  Everything was clearly marked and the event staff was awesome!

• pattyb521 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 3, 2009

I ran in the 5k last year and enjoyed it. I had every intention to beat my time last year and was shocked and upset to find out at the end that the finish line was moved back 0.2miles. At 3.1miles, I was wondering, where is the finish line?! It then proceeded to extend further back and make a weird turn to the right. Why did they do that?

• rlehmer Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 5, 2009

I enjoyed the event.  This was my third time to do it, the prior time being 2004.  The race has grown.  I like the early start time to avoid the summer heat, as well as the ample rack space (TAKE NOTE OTHER RACE DIRECTORS!), and the challenging Devil's Canyon climb.  The only thing I would like to see changed is the final finish line.  It should be much closer to the pool exit, and it should not go over rock studded asphalt that cuts into your bare feet.  What should have been a moment of triumph turned into a moment of pain.  Other than that brief issue, this was a well run event, and the Rotary folks were just the best.  I will be back.

• thom32 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010

hi all... "Tinman Thom"... the dude who many of you saw promoting Tinman and volunteering at various events over the last few years... i regret that circumstances prevent me from continuing to do so... i enthusiastically ask that everyone tell all their friends about the great time you have had at the last few Tinmans and help make sure the 25th year is the best ever BY FAR! Especially the 5k and kids triathlon... and the great goody bags and prizes and all!!! Let the organizers know about all the things you love... and the few things you'd like to see improved ? i assure you... they are listening and adjustments are made based on your comments! A couple updates and tidbits... there will no longer be a jumper involved in the kids triathlon... just a safe and fun run, bike, swim ... the asphalt at the end of the tri will be covered with astro-turf or something... the ?weird turn? at the end of the 5k (as well as the distance) is being looked at but may be required to stay so the finish dumps into the vendor fair...???? and get this... LONO TYSON... the amazing octogenarian you all see at EVERY tri or run all over soCal... has requested the bike route go FURTHER into devil's canyon... remember Lono and this when you're poopin' out ? and watch your downhill speeds and finally ? if you have me listed as your only contact ? especially vendors... please change that to funcorner@mac.com...

sooooo... it's been great seeing all of you at all the events over the years and again... please help make the 25th year Tinman the best ever... and help the San Bernardino Sunset Rotary Club accomplish all the great things they do... including to help wipe Polio off the face of the earth once and for all!!!! 

• motherofhalle Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2009

I think the Kids Triathlon was a wonderful idea and my 5 year old daughter did great. I was not thrilled the larger kids were in the same exact pool area as the smaller kids.  The swim part for the kids was disorganized and chaotic and could have been dangerous.  Parents were shoving people near the pool to get pics of the kids and it was just an utter mess.  Other then that... it was cute.  I am not sure I would do it again due to the safety of my child though. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...