Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1807 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2010 2:34 PM by Lostmonkeyboy RSS
Lostmonkeyboy Pro 86 posts since
Nov 20, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2010 11:02 AM

26 mile run three weeks before LA Marathon

Okay i'm doing my first marathon on 21st March.

I've been using the cool runnings intermediate training.

Two weeks ago i was meant to run 24 miles, i hit the wall at 22.96 and walked the remainder.  I lost 5 pounds that day from sweating.  I've learned i need to drink more.

So this Sunday i'm going to attempt 26 miles with my wife meeting me every 6 miles with water, i'll be carrying water with me too.

Has anyone else did a run like this coming up to a marathon, any advice whether to do it or not.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Feb 26, 2010 11:16 AM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)
    Re: 26 mile run three weeks before LA Marathon

The value of long runs over 20 miles has always been debated, mainly because the risk of injury increases as you tire.  So partly it should depend on how you're feeling in those last few miles.  If you're feeling very tired and sloppy, it may be better to stop than to continue.  (The longest training run I've ever done is 22 miles.)  Also keep in mind that you probably won't be able to replace all the fluid that you lose while running.  There's a physical limit on how much water your digestive tract can absorb per hour, and it's usually less that what you sweat out.

Len

Len

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Feb 27, 2010 5:12 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

For my first marathon, I went as far as 28 miles in training, mostly for the psychological assurance I could do it. In the process, I beat myself up so much before the marathon, that I had to take a month off just before it. Since then, I've not gone over 24 miles.

What you drink is important. Water takes longer to be absorbed than a mix of sugars and electrolytes like Gatorade. Try not to lose more than 1 lb from dehydration: there's substantial evidence that it will strongly hurt your performance.

• theyork6 Pro 74 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    3. Feb 27, 2010 5:41 PM (in response to DaveVause)

Im debating almost the same thing right now...except Im running a Half in a week.....I think Im gonna stick with 6-7 miles this week...I know I can make the 13.1 but I want to make sure that I dont hurt myself training and then running the half right after (within the week).

Good luck on ur Marathon.  These guys have great advice, I hope you do well :-)

Moes Better Half Marathon 03/07/10--- 2:26:37 (my very first race)

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    4. Feb 27, 2010 8:07 PM (in response to Lostmonkeyboy)

I would have to agree with Lenzlaw.  I run about 3-5 Marathons per year and I only go upto 20 miles in my training up the race.  Anything above 20 has a high risk of an injury.  If you are working towards your first marathon I would strive more for time on feet than actual distance.  The longest you should run for the marathon is about three hours time on feet.

BTW, I did once go well above 20 in a training run.  Was on travel and while running a 20 mile run I lost my car keys and had to run back to the hotel - 8 miles away to call my wife to bring me my other keys.  She was not happy...

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Most marathon coaches and schedules recommend up to 20-22 miles, but seldom further due to the potential for injury. Jeff Galloway is an exception, but he asserts that the walking interspersed with the running reduces injury potential. For 2008 Olympics, Magdalena Lewy Boulet training under Jack Daniels went to 28 miles, but she's an elite runner.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...