Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1139 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 28, 2010 4:14 PM by EveS77 RSS
chirungal Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 28, 2010 12:55 PM

injuries during marathon training

Hi,

I'm currently training for a marathon that is in June and have been running somewhat consistently since last May.  I've had occasional issues with runner's knee and ITB but nothing major that has ever set me back too much.  I started training for my marathon a few weeks ago.  On a 6 mile run on a Saturday, I noticed some discomfort around my inner right thigh but felt fine after my run.  I ran 3 miles Monday and experienced the same thing - mild discomfort.  I pretty much chalked it up to needing to do some stretching.  Well, on Tuesday I ran 3 miles but I was doing some speed work.  The discomfort was no greater than my other two runs, but immediately after - I noticed it was becoming more painful.  I iced and stretched.  The next morning, I was definitely having pain while walking.  I think I strained either my hip flexor or, more likely, my adductors.  I've been icing and resting since Tuesday and it's feeling much better.  However, I noticed it was getting worse again after walking around all day yesterday.  How long do I lay off running?  I've been doing strength training for core and upper body in the meantime, but I have been avoiding all cardio since it would involve those muscles.  I'm so tempted to go for a run today or tomorrow and the resting is just killing me right about now!!  I'm mostly nervous about missing a whole week of training.  It's early in the program, but it's my first marathon.  I definitely don't want to make it worse by running too soon, but I'm also worried about resting for too long and losing my fitness level.  I'm in really good shape, but not what you would call a 'natural' runner.  I run about a 10 min mile and if I don't run for awhile, I feel like I'm back at square one!

Any suggestions on recovery time for this kind of injury.  I don't think it's a really bad strain, I just don't want to make it worse and be totally unable to finish my training.  It's also hard being a newer runner and not really knowing when to rest and what is just normal aches and pains (if that makes any sense!)  Any input is much appreciated!!

• EveS77 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 28, 2010 4:14 PM (in response to chirungal)
    Re: injuries during marathon training

I had hip flexor issues last year training for my first marathon also.  And during my long run today, it came back again.  I am not planning to run at all this week, and will see how I feel next weekend.  If I am still in pain, I will wait another week.  Last year, I kept trying to jump back into my training too soon.  Just wait, be patient and cross train.  Continue to ice as much as possible and take anti-infammatory medications.  I will cross-train until I can run again.  I also found a chiropractor (trained in ART) and acupuncture very helpful too.   If you are just starting your training you have plenty of time.  I did not get in close to the mileage I should have, and still finished.

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...