Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1830 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2010 12:27 PM by KeilaK RSS
KeilaK Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2010 3:32 PM

Knee Pain

I tried something like this program many years ago, and I found that alternating walking and jogging seemed to make my knees hurt.  I'm thinking about doing this, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen.  Anyone else have this problem, & if so, what did you do about it?  Is there an alternate program that doesn't alternate walking and jogging?  Thanks!

• TomHorn Expert 42 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009
    1. Feb 28, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to KeilaK)
    Re: Knee Pain

Well, assuming you don't actually have a physical problem causing the pain, as a matter of getting started running you are likely going to experience some discomforts along the way just getting your body using muscles and joints more actively than you have in the past.

Shoes can be a big help in this area. I know I had shin splints until I got properly fitted for a good pair of running shoes. You can also run/walk on softer surfaces (grass, sand, treadmill) to help reduce jarring of your joints.

Personally, I think the combination of running and walking would be easier on your joints for someone getting started. I actually worked myself up to just walking 3 miles before starting on running. I did the run-walk thing for a while before finding the C25k program, but finished up using it for weeks 6-9.

Good luck!

• BlueDragonfly Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    2. Feb 28, 2010 7:05 PM (in response to KeilaK)

Begin slow and gradual; especially if you are starting from little to no walking/running (or other activity).  Five years ago, I wanted to lose weight so I began walking 1 mile a day and alternating beginner pilates for 30 minutes each day I did not walk.  I slowly stepped up to longer walks and then ran one mile and walked one mile, etc.  I had experienced knee pain in the past.  A physical therapist taught me that, in my case, there was a muscular imbalance in my  legs and feet.  Treatment should consist of some sort of cold pack.  I use an eye pillow that I keep in the freezer.  Combining squats, kickboxing and pilates helped me strengthen muscles in my legs and prevent overtraining.  The knee pain soon disappeared.

Good luck to you! 

Training for my second 13.1!

logos070400047.jpg

http://community.active.com/blogs/dream.believe.run

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    3. Feb 28, 2010 9:02 PM (in response to KeilaK)

I started having left knee pain while doing the C25K. I did complete a Thanksgiving 5K (some running and some  walking).

I am seeing a physical therapist. He feels I have fluid in the knee and has told me to not run for now but to use te bike or elliptical and  he gave me some exercises (leg raises, clam shell, leg stretching and icing.) I hope to be able to start to run again. Everyone is different and I am probably a lot older than you.. Good luck with it.

aprillilly

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points