Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6023 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2010 10:28 AM by jcrule Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Feb 23, 2010 5:13 PM (in response to Christy143)
    Re: 200 lbs + One Hour Runner Feb 1-28

Christy-  Glad to hear from someone nearby.  Yeah there don't seem to be too many 5K's in the spring here.  There is a Cookie Dash 5K in Huntsville on 4/17, but I'll be out of town.  I'm not sure if I'll do the Cotton Row or not... I've got a mini-triathlon the following weekend.  I only started running last August (Brooke Hill 5k Decatur), so I don't have any advice from before then.  Good luck with C25K.  Remember that if it starts to hurt, you should slow down and stay comfortable with your pace, so that you can complete each training day.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    17. Feb 25, 2010 6:33 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Hellewwww Everybody!!!  Okay, I'm a HUGE nerd, but I had to get my notebook out and jot down notes while I was reading so I could remember to comment on others posts.  I figure I had better be a good active member and not just talk about myself all the time.  haha  K, so he'r it goes:

Turtle - (I want so very badly to think of some "turtle"ish nickname, but I'll just go with TWR like everybody else....for now....) - WOW!  Huge news on the weight loss!!!!  That's so amazing.  I bet it was such hard work.  I've struggled with losing 90lbs for 7 years now (off and on).  For the past few years I've consistantly kept 30 of those off.  It's MY year this year!

Chunk'ster - Yep, I think that's about right.  How neat it would be to be able to run on the TM while dry and warm, and look outside while it's snowing.  Ahhh, dreamy.  Awesome news on your 1 hour run!  it's such a great feeling huh?  I know what you mean about feeling icky.  Make sure you are having some sort of recovery shake/smoothie 15-30 min after your workout...it helps so much with how you feel in the next few hours.  Carbs:Protien ratio is usually around 4:1, or 3:1.  ANDDDDDDDD, with runs that are longer....and if you sweat like a pig (um, me) you need to drink some sort of electrolyte replacement drink...not just water.  I won't get too technical because you probably already know about all the electrolyte things.  I've recently discovered Nuun tablets.  I didn't realize I was getting dehydrated on my long runs....dry back of the throat, etc.   I tried it during my last long run (more about that awesomeness later) and I really could tell a difference while running and afterwards.  I bonked HARD after my first long run.  I will be emailing you after I post to get your story of weight loss.  Feel free to just forward me whatever you wrote to Rolling1977.  I would love some inspiration!

Clark g - Wow, huge weight loss!  I think the Chunk'ster has some great advice about the 5K.  I know with my first the people passing me was very mentally discouraging and distracting.  Or if it's a loop, seeing those who run it in sub 17 min. come huffing and puffing past you...well, even more discouraging.  I know cheer them on and think how awesome they are...and how I don't want to sprint or do what they are doing, so go them.  haha  You will be excited and nervous.  Don't start out in the front of the pack, unless you run a sub 25 min 5K right now.  And take the first mile slow and get into your rhythem.  Then use all that adrenaline (oh, you'll have some, I promise!) to speed up around mile 2 or 2.5.  And then you'll be good to go.  Push it if you want.  Race day is race day, not a normal training day.  Have fun!  Also give yourself some good rest in the next few days.  5K's can take alot out of you if you're pushing yourself.

Jo Ann -   It's so tough to get back into the groove.  And to have aches and pains to boot....  Just keep it up.   Just listen to your body and try to not overtrain.  I saw you have a 10K coming up.  I was going to ask how the training is going, but I read on got my answer.   Just don't take yourself out of the game by not listening to injury.  Maybe have your ankle checked out??

OKAY THANK GOD FOR THE RECOVERY OPTION.  I TYPED ALL THIS OUT AND HIT SOME ODD BUTTON AND WENT TO A DIFFERENT SCREEN...OH THE HORROR.  Reminds me of college where I typed out something on a first gen. Brother type writer and it didn't save anything.  I thought I was going to throw up.  Anyhow..... moving on...

Rolling1977 - So, a fan of the Rolling Stones, or born in 1977???  :-)   I always hit a plateau at 30lbs.  It's just where my body stomps it's foot in the sand and draws a line and says, "I dare you to cross this line brain."  I learned from chunk'ster, I think, that the body just has to get used to the new weight.  Know it will survive at this weight, and then it will let go again.  I just went througha month plateau....sheeshhhhhhh!!!!  Today I finally lost a few lbs...ahhh broke the 230 mark!  I know you can do it.  Also, I've found that if you not feeling motivated sometimes you need to cut back on the mileage and give your body a rest.

That's a ton, I'll update about myself in a different post.  Some of my big news is below in my signature...Yeeee hawww!

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

Jan 9, 2001
    18. Feb 25, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Running is progressing very well for me.  I'm not focusing on speed, but rather endurance.  I felt so inspired a week back that I finally, officially, regsitered for a HALF MARATHON!  I must have been mad at the time.  LOL  I'm excited though!  I am focusing on the long, slow, endurance runs on the weekend.  Sunday I did a 7 miler in 1:40.  Yes, very slow.  I've started heavily research hydration and energy needs for longer runs.  I used a running bottle this last run and used one Nuun tablet, and one Honey Stinger pouch of energy chews (currently this is the only brand I can have on my VERY restricted food sensativity diet).  I thought, "Aww, yeah, right how will these help me???"  "How will I know when to take them?"  Etc.   I took only sips here and there (it's only a 20oz bottle), and then had the chews around mile 4ish/5.  Mmmm, they are like running candy.  haha  I really noticed a boost by mile 6, and finished a strong 7 miles, and could have done 8 or 9, but ya'know the "10% rule".  I also had my carbs/protein shake afterwards.  Felt the best the day of, after a long run, than I've felt so far.  The next day I wasn't very sore either.  Yay!   Last week was a 14 mile week and this will will be a 15.

I'm still doing a few other running days as well, but lower milage and trying to stay under 12mm.

That's it for me.  I'm finding that I'm falling in love with endurance running.  I don't like sprint running.  Better speed for endurance will come with time.  I'm just wanting to avoid injury at all costs.

Jill

Upcoming Races:

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    19. Feb 25, 2010 7:05 PM (in response to jcrule)

JIll,

Well, SOME one is in a very good mood!  You sound all wound up like you just finished a major race.  What have you been doing w/ yourself?  Good to hear you in high spirits.

Shoot an e-mail addy to me at blacktoed1@gmail.com and I'll send you the e-mail I sent to someone else about losing and keeping along w/ the plateau.  I talked to the doc and after she explained it the lights went on and life was good for the ol' chunkster.    The first one who wanted to hear what I had to say about that never did send his e-mail so I guess maybe he figured I was going to try and sell him something.  Truth be told I probably would have done the same thing as I myself am very wary.

I read your advice to Gary also and it made me think of my race strategy as I usually line up way in the back with the "I'll get there when I dang well get there" min. per mile pace.  I have to admit though, one time I lined up right in front on the far right side and when the gun went off I started in on a full sprint so I actually led for about 100 feet.  When I finished that 5k about 3 days later (or so it felt) I could still later on honestly tell people that at one time I led the race.  Reminds me of two stories my grandfather used to tell me that I think apply to me and running:

1)  A guy w/ a long face was leaving the horse track when his friend stopped him.  "Why so down?" his friend asked.  "My horse finished 1st in the 5th race today" said the long-faced man.  "1st place?  You should be happy about that!" his friend replied.  The long-faced man sighed and said, "He was entered in the 2nd race".

2)  An old Kentucky farmer worked it so his old farm mule was able to run in the Kentucky Derby.  The mule lined up w/ the thoroughbreds and took off as the gates flew open.  Needless to say the mule finished dead last and long after the rest of the field had crossed the finish line and left the track.  Standing by the rail petting the head of his mule after the race, a man came up.  "That your mule?", the man asked.  "Yep". replied the farmer, stroking his mule.  "You entered it into the Kentucky Derby?" asked the man.  "Yep" replied the farmer, stroking his mule.  "You didn't really expect him to win, did you?", asked the man.  "Nope" said the farmer, stroking his mule.  "Well, why did you even enter him if you knew he didn't have a chance?" asked the man. Still stroking his mule, the farmer looked at the man and said, "I thought the experience would do him good".

And with that, I bid you all good night. 

Jan 9, 2001
    20. Feb 25, 2010 8:05 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

hahahah, Chunk'ster, yeah, you and I would get along in "real" life.  I swear I'm high today (naturally) which is not normal.  I always have this long lasting high(even the next day) after I've had a good workout where I felt really good and energized afterwards instead of being completely wasted.  Ahhhh, I wish I could feel this much mental energy evert day.

Jill

Upcoming Races:

Jan 9, 2001
    21. Mar 1, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to jcrule)

Alright, I'm going to keep this thread going by just updating with my runs.  Advice, encouragement is appreciated (even if it's constructive criticism).

Well, I didn’t get my whole 15 miles in last week - only 14.  Small cold going on and I just wasn’t feeling "up-to" the whole running thing.  I got two 3 mile runs in and then yesterday did my long slow run…8 miles!  My longest ever.  Took me 1 hour and 50 min.  I was READY to get off that treadmill!  I was soooo happy with my heart rat though, and how fast it went down once I started walking for my cool-down.  My heart rate decrease from where I started is almost more rewarding to me than the mileage I'm gaining.

Wow, I’m not sure how much past 8 miles I can go right now.  That was really hard in the last 2-3 miles and I don’t think I could have pushed much past that without injury.  I’m going to have to research a bit on how many miles I should train up to before my half.  I don’t want my longest run to be 10 miles and then have to just push through those last 3.1.  I think that’s why most people I talk to…who are basically beginning runners and have their first half…can’t walk right for a few days.  I don’t want to be that person.  Funny think is my muscles in my legs are not sore today at all!  Just my joints and the ligaments are sore and tight.  My back is a bit tight as well.  I need to stretch everything out again today. 

I think I’m going to up my running back to 4 runs a week again, focus on the three mid-week runs to make sure I’m getting my mileage per week up, and then slowly increase my long runs.  As they are getting longer I think adding on a mile is a little too much.  Maybe as I lose more weight I can re-think that one.

How did everybody else do this week?

Chunky, thanks for the LONG email.  LOL  Your story of weight loss struggle and triumph is encouraging.

Jill

Upcoming Races:

• 1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...