Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1306 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2010 12:41 PM by Ali-Gator
FluffyTheMudpie Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 28, 2010 12:58 PM

Beginning C25K, knee problems arise quickly, what do I do?

I've attempted to do C25K maybe three or four times now.  But every single time I start doing it, it goes fantastic until the end of week 2.  That's when both my knees just start killing me and I have to stop completely.  The other two times, I just gave up. But I am absolutely determined to fix this problem this time.  I went slow, repeated week 1 twice and ran on a treadmill instead of outside.  Then during the time my knees hurt, I started doing the "running" on an elliptical instead.  My knees are starting to feel a little better now, after two weeks of just elliptical training, but I'm scared to start running again, even on the treadmill.  I can tell now, even when I try to run after my toddler, my knees start to feel weak.  Now, I am heavy, so I know that can't help my knees, but I was hoping running would help me lose weight.

I have always wanted to be a runner.  It is a dream of mine to be able to run a marathon someday....but I truly don't know how to get past the first couple weeks of training if my knees are going to keep acting up.  I've tried running through the pain before, and only made things worse.  What do I do?  I don't even know what this is...if it's runner's knee, IT band syndrome, or what.  I just want to figure this out so I can fix it.  It's been incredibly frustrating!

I appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.

Thanks!

• TomHorn Expert 42 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009

Well, if you want to 'fix' the problem, then first of all I'd recommend going to see a doctor to see if there is anything physical that is actually causing it. Next, head to a store that specializes in running shoes and get fitted for a proper pair if you haven't already. I had minor pain (especially shin splints) when running with shoes that were not the proper type for my ankle pronation. Pain went away with new shoes.

There is a pretty long thread here about losing weight while running that you should read. Bottom line is that running alone isn't going to do it for you. Weight loss is only going to occur when your caloric intake is exceeded by what you burn during the day. Running is only a small part of the equation. For example, running a 5k at a 10 minute per mile pace burns about 400-450 calories. You need to burn around 3500 calories more than you take in to lose a pound.

I don't mean to be a downer or discourage you because becomming a runner has many great health benefits and you should be commended for wanting to start down this path. Please get your knees checked out in case there is really something wrong there. You'll continue to get discouraged and quit if you are in pain, so work on figuring it out first. Good Luck!

• EnriquePasos Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008

Hello,

One well known cause of pain in general (knee pain included) is stress or inner tension. I myself suffered from some running pain which started after completing my 1st marathon last July.  I quit running for 5 months, but still cross-trained (elliptical, bike).  When I returned to running in December, it still hurt.  Many paths of searching for relief ultimately lead me to the site www.runningpain.com where I ultimately found relief.  If you are still experiencing pain, I encourage going to the site and researching this for yourself.  Today, I'm running pain free and plan to beat my PR in my 2nd marathon this year.  Best of luck in your quest to become a runner.

EP

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010

I had some trouble around week 2 or 3 as well.  My doctor told me to be sure and work on strengthening my quads.  They help to support your knees & will help prevent future knee injuries.  Squats are a good exercise for that.  While I was in pain, I cut back on the running but kept walking.  Ice and ibuprofen after a workout helped too.

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points