Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3915 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2010 10:56 AM by rjungers RSS
jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
Jan 9, 2001
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 4, 2010 12:35 PM

Shoe mileage schedule...plus sized folks??

Hey there, I've got a question that doesn't seem to be adressed when I read "what kind of shoes to buy for running".  I used to be in stability shoes, but most recently am in neutral with inserts and my feet feel much better.  As my mileage has increased from 9m/week to 15m/week I am noticing my feet a bit more sore than normal....and my long run of 8 miles really seemed to do me in...probably tackled it a bit too early.

So, my question is this: If you are plus sized, would the actual mileage your shoe puts out decrease to say 200 miles??  I'm sure it depends on how much you weight...I'm a 6', 227lb female.  I started the C25K back in November and have been running in the same shoes ever since.  My mileage is still pretty low per week but I was wondering if my shoes are starting to give way?  I hate to buy a new pair just "to see" if it's the shoes because, as we all know, they are $$$$$$.

Oh and I am NOT running too fast...tempo runs are only 4.8mph, and slow runs are around 13.5min/mile.  So I'm not making any training records.  ;-)

Any advice would be appriciated.

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• theyork6 Pro 74 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    1. Mar 4, 2010 12:48 PM (in response to jcrule)
    Re: Shoe mileage schedule...plus sized folks??

jcrule,

Im 5'9 and 170 and therefore considered plus-sized (insert eye-roll here).....I replace my shoes at about 350 miles.  I was told to replace my shoes anywhere between 300-500 miles and to stay at the lower end of that spectrum if I was 'plus-sized'   Right now, I run about 30-35 miles a week.  I have a Half-Marathon this weekend so Im staying in my present shoes til after that.  That would make about 420 miles in these, but I dont want to run in new ones for my first Half.

I can feel when my shoes are gettin worn.  The support just doesnt feel the same.  If you are getting up towards 300 miles I would go ahead and replace them.  But that's just me.

I hope some of the more seasoned runners answer your question as well.  Im curious :-)

Moes Better Half Marathon 03/07/10--- 2:26:37 (my very first race)

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    2. Mar 4, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to theyork6)

I agree with the other poster...I usually can get 300 miles out of my shoes and my hips and knees let me know loudly that its time to replace.  Its possible that you can use your old shoes for shorter runs but it might be helpful to get a new pair and rotate them in for long runs.  Just a thought.  I rotate 2 pair of shoes, alternating each run....gives the shoes a chance to recover.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• woodwoman Amateur 88 posts since
    Jan 30, 2007
    3. Mar 4, 2010 1:29 PM (in response to jcrule)

As my weight has gone down (slowly, over a couple of years), my shoes last a little longer but I'm still lucky to get 350 out of them before I feel a difference.  I would buy the second pair and rotate them in, that way you haven't "wasted" buying a new pair, but then you'd have a side-by-side comparison which should give you an idea.  When I get a new pair, I use the old ones for walks, going to the gym etc and save the new ones just for running only.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Mar 4, 2010 1:54 PM (in response to woodwoman)

I agree with getting a new pair and rotating them in.  If the old ones feel hard as cement by comparison, then it's time to retire them.  I weigh about 190, and the mileage I get varies depending on the shoes.  Most of them last 350 but I rarely get more than 400.  And the lightweight trainers I use only for races will probably be retired at 300.

Len

Len

• TomHorn Expert 42 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009
    5. Mar 5, 2010 1:25 PM (in response to jcrule)

My body is a pretty good indicator of when it's time to retire a pair of shoes. If I haven't changed up my routine or suddenly started running a different course, once my body starts giving me subtle pains in places I haven't had them before it's time to replace the shoes.

Having said that, I find that I am usually starting to look for new shoes around 250 miles. Will buy the new pair and alternate for a while before retiring the old pair. I started at 6' and 238lbs ... now down to 185lbs, but my mileage per pair hasn't dramatically changed. YMMV depending on the shoe you select of course. I run in Saucony ProGrid Guide 2's at the moment.

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    6. Mar 12, 2010 6:27 PM (in response to jcrule)

I don't think that your weight will make a big difference.  In my opinion, wear is related more to the surface you run on, how your foot strikes the ground, and how fast you are running.

Your shoes will last a lot longer running on a treadmill than on concrete.  I have a pair of Nike Free's that I use primarily on the treadmill and they are hardly worn at all.

If you don't over- or underpronate, your shoes will probably last longer, since the wear is more evenly distributed.

I think if you are running faster and pushing off with greater force, your will see more wear than if you are moving slowly.  It could be balanced by the fact that slower people are taking more stides to cover the same distance, however.

My shoes wear out at around 300 miles.  You can see a picture of a pair of my old shoes and some info on how to read shoe tread wear patterns in this post:

What You Can Learn from Shoe Wear Patterns

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• mrbrown66 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010
    7. Mar 12, 2010 11:10 PM (in response to jcrule)

Give this a read guys.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=running-barefoot-is-better-research-2010-01-27

I dont even buy shoes anymore.  Its free and no injuries.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Mar 13, 2010 7:51 AM (in response to mrbrown66)

mrbrown66 wrote:

Give this a read guys.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=running-barefoot-is-better-research-2010-01-27

I dont even buy shoes anymore.  Its free and no injuries.

If that's all your basing it on, you need to do a whole lot more research.  Barefoot running has been discussed at some length in several threads here over the past months.  I suggest you look for and read through those threads.  Then check the research, which unfortunately is fairly limited and equivocal at this point.  Then discount statements like:  "But actually you can run barefoot on the world's hardest surfaces without the slightest discomfort and pain…It might be less injurious than the way some people run in shoes." , "People who don't wear shoes when they run have an astonishingly different strike", "humans have engaged in endurance running for millions of years", etc., which are, at best, just someone's opinion.  Then consider running on stones and glass and the like. And winter running anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.  I can think of lots of situations where you wouldn't want to run barefoot.  Lest you have any doubts, I have run barefoot, and will continue to do so.  But most of my running will be in shoes.

Len

Len

• mrbrown66 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010
    9. Mar 13, 2010 7:39 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Easy mate.  I have based my choice on countless articles, books, and discussions on the topic and it is working for me hence the reason for sharing. 

I selected this article as a good starting point for people to review.  Also to throw a different light on the topic of having to spend $100-$200 on a new pair of trainers every 300 miles.

I live in Sydney, Australia so weather is conducive to barefooting, I also use Vibram 5 Fingers when I know the surfaces are going to be tough going.  5 Fingers have much the same wear limitations I believe - 300-500 miles.

• rjungers Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    10. Mar 14, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to jcrule)

I have nothing new to add to the discussion.  It would be best to stick with the posters about looking into new shoes when your body tells you it's time.  It usually happens near 300 miles or so.  However, get a new pair a little sooner to break them in.

Also, can we not hijack a thread?

Ross.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points