Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2490 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 4:23 PM by calbiker
tmfRN Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 3, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2010 11:59 AM

Shoes??

So I've started running again.. however, the shoes that were once comfortable are no longer. I had a pair of newbalances and they cause pain on the outside edge of my feet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to shoes that do not cause discomfort on the outer edge of the feet??

Thank you

• mkejen Amateur 17 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    1. Mar 3, 2010 12:09 PM (in response to tmfRN)
    Re: Shoes??

I can't offer any advice except to get fitted for shoes from a running shoe store.  Something I plan on doing in the next few days....

• MNrunningchick Expert 40 posts since
    Feb 24, 2009
    2. Mar 3, 2010 12:15 PM (in response to tmfRN)

You really want to go to a specialty running store, like Running Room, not a big chain sporting goods store like Dick's or Sport Authority and get fitted for a shoe that gives the proper support your feet need.  They will be able to see if you have a neutral foot or if you over/under pronate, etc.  Take a jog around the store or even better yet if they have a treadmill hop on and see how the shoe fits/feels.  Most stores will allow returns on shoes as long as they were not used outdoors, if you decide you don't like them after you try them.  Good luck, a great shoe makes a huge difference!

• AUWalker Expert 38 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    3. Mar 3, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to mkejen)

mkejen wrote:

I can't offer any advice except to get fitted for shoes from a running shoe store. 

This is a great start.

My foot has changed from when I was a in my teens (I only wear NB's as casuals). Find a dedicated running store with all the diagnostic equipment (treadmill camera, foot pressure plates etc.). Something like Road Runner Sports. This is normally a free service at these locations.

"I find the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have"

Thomas Jefferson

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/27/09 Bridle Trails 5k Trail Run, Kirkland, WA // 28:25.1

7/18/09 Bill Burby 5K, Vashon Island, WA // 27:42.6

7/25/09 Sefair Torchlight Run (8k) Seattle, WA // 53:59

11/26/09 Thanksgiving Cross Country Classic (5k), Tucson, AZ // 27:28.2

3/13/10 JJ Mahoney's St. Patrick's Day 5k, Redmond, WA //25:26

5/23/10 The Monkey Run 5k, Snohomish, WA //24:41.4

Upcomming:

6/26/10 Bridle Trails 5k Trail Run, Kirkland WA// This will be my anniversary of running!

7/31/10 Sefair Torchlight Run (8k) Seattle, WA//

• jokerGD Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 3, 2010
    4. Mar 3, 2010 5:41 PM (in response to tmfRN)

I now jog exclusively in vibram five finger KSO's

I can't run in "running shoes" without extreme hip/back pain

if you're reintroducing yourself into running, they're good to start with

you use your foot naturally (as evolution intended) and use your arches, with most of the work going to your calves

http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/bluesprint.jpg

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    5. Mar 4, 2010 12:40 PM (in response to jokerGD)

I have found that 5 years ago I was a mens size 10.5.  My toes started to get rubbed and wha-la, I'm now in an 11 full time.  I totally agree with above posters, go to a running shoe store.  Tell them about the issues you are having with your foot, bring your old shoes in so they can take a look at them.  Some shoes are just more narrow than others, some have a more snug mid-foot area.  I always have to tell them I need a BIG toe box.  My piggies need some wiggle room.  Also you may want to take a look at what kind of socks you are wearing.  If they are too thick it can also cause the toe box to be too constricted.  Ask the shoe store about different ways to lace the shoes also to give some "give" to the areas that may be too snug.

Good luck!

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• Stombs Expert 50 posts since
    Oct 10, 2008
    6. Mar 17, 2010 7:54 PM (in response to tmfRN)

I would def recommend going to a speciality running store as well as putting insoles in your shoes that support issues with your foot. A great company that I prefer is Asics. I believe they have AMAZING shoes!

"When you cross the finish line, no matter how slow, no matter how fast it'll change your life forever"

- Dick Beardlsey "Spirit of the Marathon"

• Blindrunner Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    7. Mar 20, 2010 3:09 PM (in response to jokerGD)

I was really looking for runner reviews on these. How durable is the sole? I know it's thin, will it stand up to running on city surfaces? I'm mostly blind, so I'm looking for some way to get more information about the surfaces below me, as well as to improve my balance. Am I going to get a lot of stubbed toes? Forgive the newbness, but the idea of these shoes appeals to me a lot.

Feets don't fail me now!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Mar 20, 2010 4:00 PM (in response to Blindrunner)

Blindrunner - there are a couple good articles in the April, 2010 issue of Running Times, about minimalist / barefoot running.  These include some discussion of the benefits and shortcomings of running in the Fivefingers and similar shoes.

Len

Len

• Blindrunner Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    9. Mar 20, 2010 4:33 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thank you so much! That was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Feets don't fail me now!

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    10. Mar 22, 2010 4:23 PM (in response to MNrunningchick)

I just had my feet analyzed at Roadrunner. I got fitted shoes, what a world of difference. I was also pretty impressed at how far technology has come regarding shoes and shoe buying.

Onward and Forward !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...