Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2966 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2010 6:26 AM by drmiles85
Gottavtr Amateur 10 posts since
Jul 20, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2010 8:23 AM

Training while sick

I am sick again this winter.  This is the second time I am down with body aches and sinus issues.  I know everyone says rest and stay hydrated but my legs have been very sensitive to the increased mileage I have asked of them so I don't want to miss my runs.  Does anyone continue some training while sick or do you find it best to just take the week off?

Zach

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    1. Mar 5, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to Gottavtr)
    Re: Training while sick

Zack I can relate,I was training for Boston and my last long run fell on a bad weekend, cold, sinuses,got on the dreadmill and ran 20 miles it was quite a sight [ runny nose Gu packs all around me] but I perservered through it.The key is not causing more problems by training.My mantra when things get tough is "Pain is weekness leaving the body".Best of luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• ManintheArena Community Moderator 109 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    2. Mar 5, 2010 1:59 PM (in response to Gottavtr)

Hi Zach -

Here are a few articles we have on Active that might help with the "to train or not to train" question...

Coping With Illness During Aerobic Training

Scare Tactics to Prevent You From Exercising While Sick

Good luck. I hope Spring brings better health.

-Jesse

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    3. Mar 8, 2010 6:26 AM (in response to Gottavtr)

As a general rule (I say that to leave LOTS of flexibility for your individual symptoms), if the symptoms are above the neck (sinus, headache, etc.) you can maintain at low intensity.  If the symptoms are below the neck or include a fever, take some time off.  If you're like most people, you probably train too much for your body anyway and it's a good thing for you.  The human body has a funny way of telling us what we need.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...