Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1985 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2010 7:44 PM by RunMegsRun RSS
RunMegsRun Pro 74 posts since
Mar 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2010 10:17 AM

HR Monitor "losing" heart rate?

My HR monitor (garmin) has developed a habit of "losing" my hr for periods of time while I'm running.  It will be tracking just fine, and then suddenly shows 60-80 BPM instead of the 150 or so I usually run at.  After a while it seems to make the connection again and tracks correctly for a while.  It seems to happen particularly (but not exclusively) during longer runs - generally after 8-10 miles.

I'm wondering if the monitor itself is too big and its losing connection with my skin - I'm small but not tiny around the ribs (abt 29").  I keep it tucked under my compression bra to try and maintain contact, but it doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Are there different sized monitors available?  (I checked on the garmin website and it wasn't clear to me).

I'd like to think I'm fit enough to maintain 60 bpm after 10 miles, but lets face it, that's just not the case!!

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    1. Mar 5, 2010 12:05 PM (in response to RunMegsRun)
    Re: HR Monitor "losing" heart rate?

You might want to try changing the battery in the chest strap.  I have a Garmin and although I've never had the problem you described I have had trouble getting mine to connect which ended up being the battery.  Good luck!  Wouldn't it be great to maintain a heart rate of 60bpm while running....... ULTRA"s here we come!!  or maybe coma's !!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    4. Mar 6, 2010 3:39 PM (in response to RunMegsRun)

I have a nike HM and the same thing happens, it works better if I scrub it down with soap and water after each run but it's real unreliable again now.  The first year it worked fine,  I've replaced the battery several times.  Pretty annoying.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Mar 6, 2010 3:52 PM (in response to RunMegsRun)

I no longer wear one but, the mp3 player could be interfering with watch reception if your wrist swings past the pocket it is in.

Len

Len

• cmon2 Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 26, 2010
    9. Mar 7, 2010 6:45 PM (in response to RunMegsRun)

can I ask you if your garmin has a textile strap or the ordinary plastic(?) one?

I had the ordinary version before and it was happy with me cleaning it using just plain water

now I have a polar with a textile strap and I'm sure water is not working on this one. I already had to put it in the washing machine once

• cmon2 Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 26, 2010
    11. Mar 8, 2010 6:50 AM (in response to RunMegsRun)

OK, good to know. when I was talking about the textile strap I meant the sensors are also embedded in that somehow. very weird stuff.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points