Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5951 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2010 12:07 PM by Snowman79 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • bwall10 Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 5, 2010 9:04 PM (in response to jenster!)
    Re: How do YOU get through a bad run?

jenster!:

That is an incredible idea, I was inspired just reading it! I will definitely try this on my next tough run. However, I feel kind of bad to admit that I compare myself to the people I know that aren't doing anything at all. It always gives me a little mental boost to know that I am doing just a little bit more than most...

Completed:

2010 Adam's Heart Run 5k - 24:31 (First Race!)

Rumpshaker 5k - 23:28

Next Up:

Dollars for Scholars 5k - 4/30/2010

Goal:

Rocket City Marathon - 12/11/2010

• Stombs Expert 50 posts since
    Oct 10, 2008
    16. Mar 7, 2010 6:37 PM (in response to theyork6)

when runs are really bad i try the interval method of running/walking that way I do not quit.

"When you cross the finish line, no matter how slow, no matter how fast it'll change your life forever"

- Dick Beardlsey "Spirit of the Marathon"

• cmon2 Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 26, 2010
    17. Mar 8, 2010 7:14 AM (in response to theyork6)

how do I get through a bad run? I instead asked myself: how to avoid bad runs.

and I found several things that help

- avoid running at a HR too high

- avoid overtraining

- better warmup

I don't really have any bad runs except for a few ones earlier where I wasn't warmed up - but even with these runs, after 15-20 mins into the run I felt much better as I finally warmed up properly.

ah, how did I survive those 15-20 mins I usually told myself ok I can do a smaller distance than what I originally headed out for but at least survive until then (this small distance usually would need 20-30 mins, which is really not a long time so knowing that helped me mentally); but by the time I got to complete that smaller distance I felt great anyway so I was able to & was happy to continue alright.

• Turbokittykat Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    18. Mar 8, 2010 7:22 AM (in response to jenster!)

Jenster! Thank you for this fabulous concept!!!!! I love it. There's a kabbala theory that "God" is fractured into billions and trillions of pieces and those pieces rest in absolutely everthing around us. So like, when we sharpen a pencil, the idea is to mindfully do so and offer the pieces of God in the shavings back to God. I found myself doing that a little during yesterday's 10-miler. Offering the sweat, the pain, the thirst...but I love your manner of giving the effort an even more specific goal. Thank you. THANK YOU! Jenster!

Namaste from another Jen!

Upcoming events:

Chicago's 8K Shamrock Shuffle 21 March 2010

Illinois 1/2 Marathon 1 May 2010

DeWitt's Paul Skeffington Memorial 5 mile 19 June 2010

Quad Cities 1/2 Marathon 26 September 2010

Chicago Marathon 10 October 2010

• Snowman79 Legend 483 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    19. Mar 12, 2010 12:07 PM (in response to Turbokittykat)

I agree, it depends on what a bad run is?  Is it because your body is tapped out or you are wimping out?  Knowing the difference is key.  I find I usually have a bad run because I wimp out.  I hit a wall and can't battle through it.  This is where I have a good coach/mean coach in my head.  The good coach will tell me to suck it up, keep pushing, that I'm tougher than that.  The mean coach will jump in and tell me to give up, I'm not as fast as I thought and I should just quit. 

The mental aspect of running (in my opinion) is much harder than the physical.  When the mind starts telling you that you can't do this, that's where the mental training comes in of telling the "mean coach" to cram it up his cram hole.  LOL  When I do runs now and my mind says to give up, I make the run even harder (more distance or faster pace) to show my body that it's tougher than the mind thinks.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...