Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

99535 Views 569 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 11:40 PM by LemonaidLucy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 38 Previous Next
  • cmon2 Amateur 20 posts since
    Feb 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    106. Mar 8, 2010 7:51 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Mighty Masters Continuing on from C25k...

I didn't really do C25K but I did a very similar one to get to my first 5K (29:25) in november. after that I didn't really know what way to go, I did a few more 5K runs for training but I realized I was running them too close to max. I realized it is much better to go slow, so instead of 29-30 mins I did 5K's in 35-37 mins for the training. this also had the advantage that I was able to increase distance very very easily. only the joints (knees etc.) would stand in the way of increasing distance to 10-15 miles or more. i.e. I didn't want to overstress them. so I did the first 10K (not race, training run) only in january even though I'd have been easily capable of it end of november already. for my longest distances I'm at around 10 miles now but I would be able to do 15 miles, just being careful about the joints again. half marathon planned in may this year.

I hope this helps some people whose posts I read in this thread about how it's so hard to increase the distance or time spent with running. it may also help people who have trouble getting themselves up and go outside for the run - these slow runs feel so easy so they are really addictive too. it will also help burning the fat for weight loss. and yes they still make you improve - over time what feels the same slow run will be actually a faster pace.

• snedman Expert 48 posts since
    Jan 14, 2010
    107. Mar 8, 2010 10:01 AM (in response to compguy)

wow compguy - what an inspiration you are!  I think your story could easily be a movie.  I've already got ideas for the soundtrack.

Started C25K on Jan. 4, 2010 - Age 57.

Graduated C25k on Mar. 5, 2010

Completed 1st 5k (41:22) on Mar. 20, 2010  Richmond VA SPCA

Apr. 10, 2010 - 5k (43:29 on rolling terrain) for Winchester Rotary Club to benefit Polio

May 1, 2010 - 1st 10k (1:28:35) Apple Blossom 10k, Winchester, VA

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    109. Mar 8, 2010 6:09 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Well my weekend got kind of messed up. I had planned a nice slow, long run saturday down by the river to increase my distance to 6 miles...well issues with my mom came up so everything was postponed till sunday. In fact sunday became very self-indulgent and quite the learning experience!

I went to my usual 1 1/2 hour yoga class and I was the only one there...my yoga instructor used to be my step-daughter and is a wonderful 38 year old woman...so she took the opportunity to really push and assist me in my weak areas...my core and balance poses...loved every minute!

Felt so good on my way home and was so excited to go do my run...........crashed!!!! Was heading to do my 4 mile route then pass my house and pick up the 2 miler that I used throughout the C25K........learned so many things!

1) I am not 20 anymore

2) I am not 20 anymore!

3) route of 4 miles is one long gradual never ending hill...dumb choice....

4) body gave out before the mind for the first time!

Was I disappointed?  Not really...I just kept reflecting on the fact that 4 months ago I was on the couch and how amazed I am that I just ran 5 miles after a killer yoga class.....but......did I mention that I'm not 20 anymore!!!!

that's the way it goes sometimes...will not plan any long runs after yoga any longer and wednesday morning I will be out in search of that 6th mile that I couldn't find!!!

Happy running!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    110. Mar 9, 2010 8:21 AM (in response to susanbarron)

As I read through all of your posts I get depressed to see how far everyone has now passed me by, but I vow to return. Like RobinfromMaine, I've been down and out with an injury. My last run was the last Wed of January, but I've continued to ride the stationary bike and do weight training. The problem is osteo arthritis in the hip. I've been plagued with it in other parts of this old body, but the hip problem came as a big surprize. Taking off the 4 weeks helped but hasn't cured the problem. I REALLY MISS my runs so am testing the water to see how much I can tolerate. I walked 3 miles day Saturday and while there was soreness, I could manage. Sunday was such a glorious day I walked for 5 min and jogged 10 min and walked another 5min. Monday was weights. This morning I walked 5 min, ran 15 min and walked another 10 min. Came in, stretched and iced. Loading up on glucosamine chondritin and omega 3. Hips are tender but tolerable. My plan is to run 20 min on Thursday and continue to gradually build back to what my body will allow. I want to run so badly and pray that God will show me how.

A great big congratulations to all of you Mighty Masters!!!

Marie

ps. any suggestions are appreciated

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• compguy Expert 58 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    112. Mar 9, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Don't think about how far others are running.  That's completely irrelevant - except to say over time you can expect to increase distance too "IF" you avoid injury, or once you recover.  When we run it's all about us working with us.  Slow running and high repetitions of light weights do more than increase your endurance.  These things also increase strength in the ligaments and tendons.  Muscles will pull on these fast if you work hard as a beginning runner.  If they aren't strenghtened you get an injury.  So go slow to allow yourself the least chance of injury in knees and such by building up the strength in tendons and ligaments.

For those wanting longer distances as you build "base" (full base build is 4 years I understand) it gets easier to run longer.  When you start it may be tough to run anything.  Then you can run a mile at some point.  As you keep running a number of miles per week (once you get there) this continues to extend.  I suffered more than I needed to in my marathon because I didn't build an adequate base.  Training for long runs like that you do a lot of running a week.  Some of these were long training runs (one day a week is long in marathon training).  Sometimes I'd run with a group of people who do this all the time.  At first I could keep their pace maybe 6 miles.  Then I wave bye bye as they fade away in front of me and I slow down.  At the marathon the pace group I was with left me at 16 miles or so.  So I've extended my base.  If I kept going my pace at 16 miles should equal my pace at 26.  Just takes time.  Programs incorporate cross training and speed training and hill training.  But the primary focus is endurance and having a base.  Without that you can't go the distance.  Once you have the base if you contiue on you improve your times with speed and hill training and such. This is my take on things only.  There's plenty of stuff to read out there when you're bored ..

Anyway the point is slow running prevents injury and extends length of your runs.  It also burns more fat and so is better for weight loss.  Fast running won't help you lose weight it helps your heart get stronger.  For Novice runners slow running first.  If you get a running injury try an elliptical that removes impact or a stationary bike that removes impact and weight bearing.  Or of course swimming.  Do these till you can run again.  The typical rule for increasing distance is by 10% a week.  I'm not saying I always adhered to that but that's the rule.

• snedman Expert 48 posts since
    Jan 14, 2010
    113. Mar 9, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to cmon2)

Thanks cmon2.  I've certainly got the slow part down.  But I'm starting to appreciate it more as I realize the big picture is to increase strength and endurance.

Started C25K on Jan. 4, 2010 - Age 57.

Graduated C25k on Mar. 5, 2010

Completed 1st 5k (41:22) on Mar. 20, 2010  Richmond VA SPCA

Apr. 10, 2010 - 5k (43:29 on rolling terrain) for Winchester Rotary Club to benefit Polio

May 1, 2010 - 1st 10k (1:28:35) Apple Blossom 10k, Winchester, VA

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    114. Mar 9, 2010 2:04 PM (in response to snedman)

I have got to start getting in here more often! I wait so long to come in that there are so many post, I do not have time to respond to them all!

Marie! It is so good to see you again! I am so sorry about your injury, but please take care of yourself and ease back into the running. Running really does take a toll on the body and with us being "older" runners, we have to be extra special careful to not over do!

Jasmine!!! So glad to see you posting again!

Snedman! Congratulations on graduating C25K and WELCOME to the Mighty Masters!!!!

Makcanfly! Congratulations to you also on your C25K graduation!!!

Susan!!! Good job!

Jess! Doing fantastic as always!

Compuguy! Way to go on the Marathon! You are awesome!

I did a 6 mile run last night and I have finally figured out how to get up the steep hills without having to walk part of the way!

I have been having a hard time increasing my distance due to my legs getting so tired from lactic acid build up. I finally figured out why last night....just as we have been talking about here....I needed to slow down! I was going out to fast from the beginning and tiring to quickly. Last night I warmed up with a really slow jog and just increased my pace as I felt I could. When my legs began to tire, I would drop back down to a slow jog and shortly my legs would feel better and I could increase my pace a bit. On the long hills, I put my head down, leaned forward, took shorter strides and pulled with my arms! I got up the hills with no problem and I could still breathe and continue on with my run!!!! A BREAK THROUGH!!!!

At this point, I am trying to just increase my distance and not worry about my time. However long it takes, it takes, but I am seeing that my times are improving as my runs get longer. I am doing 2 short runs of about 3-4 miles, 1 mid run of about 5.5 miles and one long run which I will be increasing to 7 miles this week. I am not sure what distance I will stop on and then concentrate on speed. I really do not want to do a Marathon, but I am going to do a 10K next month. I may try for a 1/2.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• debwro Expert 59 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010
    115. Mar 9, 2010 2:25 PM (in response to compguy)

Compguy you are so right about building the base.  I ran my 2nd marathon in December but started building teh base in May and marathon training started in mid August with speed intervals and hills thrown in.  I train with the Fit2Endure group that my daughter couches.  I not only ran the full marathon but I ran it 22 minutes faster than the year before and with no injuries during the training.  I really think slow and steady is the best way to build distance and speed.

Just an update--I did not run Gasparilla because I was sooooo sick with a stomach bug.  I thought I was going to be able to run becasue the cold and congestion was much better but "the bug" hit on Saturday night.  Oh well stuff happens.  My new plan is a half marathon at Ft. DeSoto Park in a week and a half.  I did an 11 mile run Sunday which felt great--yeah!!!- and decided I hadn't lost anything with 2 weeks off.  So I am hoping to PR.  Wish me luck!!!!

Jan 18, 2010
    117. Mar 10, 2010 5:51 AM (in response to debwro)

Deb,

I'm seeing the same thing.  Even without the speed work extending endurance still increases speed at the shorter distances.  I will be adding speed and hills now at lest some too.

Jan 18, 2010
    118. Mar 10, 2010 6:10 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Disney,

At halhigdon.com (which I used for the novice marathon training plan) they also have a 4 week marathon recovery plan.  Actually I think they have a senior marathon training plan too but I hadn't noticed it till looking at the recovery plan - so I just used the novice one. I was very stiff to begin (got a massage at exit but that didn't matter a bit ) and legs have gotten a little better each day.  Yesterday the guide suggested a massage saying 48 hours post race it has the most impact.  So I did that and today my legs are just fine - huge difference.  The guide says no running this week till Thursday and then it is 2 miles.   Then 6 to 8 on Sunday.  So I'm very restricted right now and they keep it lower than normal with gradual increases for a period of 4 weeks.   Some say you should rest 1 day for each mile post marathon.  I think that's a little extreme  There is another marathon in town (Atlanta) March 21st which I wanted to do.  After reading the guides I probably won't do it.  As  beginning marathoner the chance of injury is dramatically higher if I did.  I reallllllllllly would like to do it since it is about the last for the season but again probably won't.  I'll decide for sure on the 19th.

compguy.JPG

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 38 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...