Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2655 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 8:21 PM by TimoWake RSS
AshAlex Amateur 11 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2010 7:12 PM

needing encouragement/ inspiration

I'm sure this has probably been asked... But where does everyone find their inspiration and encouragment for running??

Just wondering. I was on the phone with my mother today talking about how I wanted to go to the park to run (c25k week 5 day 2) and she just completely discouraged me saying I didnt need to run because running is so hard on the knees and she doesnt think I will really like doing it. And this isnt the 1st time she has discouraged me from running.

Anyway, I'm not just here trying to complain about my mom, but it just REALLY bothered me that my own mother cant either encourage me or keep her mouth shut. So, like I said before, where does everyone else find their inspiration, or their encouragement, or support?? Or, what I guess I mean is motivation!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    1. Mar 8, 2010 7:31 PM (in response to AshAlex)
    Re: needing encouragement/ inspiration

This forum here is a good place to start.   Join a thread with others that are doing 5k right now and you'll have lots of support.  Many think falsely that running ruins knees, but that is just not true.  If you follow the C25k program and listen to your body you will just get stronger and stronger.  You are doing great!  Just stay with it without expecting support from your mom.  Best wishes to you!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• Lipgloss and Spandex Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 7, 2009
    2. Mar 8, 2010 7:31 PM (in response to AshAlex)

My advice would be to look up research that says running isn't hard on your knees. I know I've seen studies quoted in Runner's World magazine. And tell her that you do like doing it and then stop talking to her about running.

When I first started running and eating more healthfully, a lot of my family said or did things to sabotage me--"Oh one cookie isn't going to kill you!" etc. It was really hard and really frustrating. Stick with it and find some supportive workout buddies, blogs, and online communities. I think once people realize you're serious and aren't going to quit, they leave you alone. Honestly, I think many people kind of want to see others fail because it validates them not trying in the first place. So find people who are the opposite--who push you to try harder!

Lipgloss & Spandex email card.jpg

Lipgloss and Spandex: a blog for gals who look good and run fast!

• redefiningme Amateur 10 posts since
    Feb 2, 2010
    3. Mar 8, 2010 8:43 PM (in response to AshAlex)

I can relate with the unsupportive parent, so I just don't talk to my dad about it.  I get my motivation from my friends (several are long-distance runners) and online communities/blogs, like others have said.  It's tough to get through C25K when you're running alone.  It helps to have a buddy, for sure.  But my main motivation is I signed up for a race in May that benefits brain cancer research.  My grandfather died of brain cancer (I never got to know him because he died when I was 2 or 3 years old) and a little 7-year-old girl in our community is battling a rare brain tumor.  So she's my inspiration.  I just have to run a 5K...that's nothing compared to living with a brain tumor.  I have to fight the shin splints and sore legs...she has to fight for her life.  Thinking about that really puts things in perspective and makes me push a little harder even when I'm tired and ready to quit.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    4. Mar 9, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to AshAlex)

Go to your local running store, talk to other runners.  Look around during your race.  Runners are a friendly, happy, supportive group.  Fast or slow, young or old.  Long distance or short.  It doesn't matter, there is a general sense of pride, accomplishment, freedom and fun no matter what level runner you are.  Runners get it.  The great Steve Prefontaine said "It's more than just a race" and that is so true and means something different to all of us but it really is so true!  For me, it's the challenge, the routine of training, the feeling of health no matter how good or bad a run goes.  It's the pride of going out on a day you normally would have just stayed home and actually doing the run.  I remember running a 1/2 marathon that was a turn around course.  I'm not a fast runner by any means but I can usually finish in the top 1/3.  During that run the running that impressed me the most was a young woman that I saw after the turn that was running in last place.  She was running, smiling and showing a sense of pride that brought tears to my eyes and actually made me run harder.  In the end you really have already proven yourself, you don't need inspiration from anyone else.  Your doing it,  good for you!!!!  On another note, I believe there is some very good info out there about the value running actually does to your body if done properly.  Good luck and keep running, it's great!!!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• tomcollins Amateur 14 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    5. Mar 9, 2010 10:30 AM (in response to AshAlex)

A lot of parents become jealous of any children that do something better than them.  If you make more money, have a bigger house, a better life, look better, etc...  That could be it, especially if she is out of shape.  Some people are just negative people.

Either that or she is ignorant on running.  You'll have to figure out what it is.  If it's simple ignorance, she might be receptive to information that shoes otherwise.  If not, you may have to just not bring it up.

You have a full community of runners here.  Use that.  Find something to motivate yourself, whether its a race or some goal you can pinpoint and use that to motivate yourself.

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    6. Mar 9, 2010 10:43 AM (in response to AshAlex)

The first scrap of inspiration that got me to try running intervals (30 seconds at a time) was a book review of Born to Run (ultra long distance runs).  Something in that book review just touched me in the right place.  Prior to that I would never have considered running due to all the usual excuses, "high-impact", "bad for your knees", etc.

Secondly, I stopped at the library and checked out a couple of back issues of Runner's World.  There are lots of upbeat and positive articles in each issue, and none of the elitist attitude that I was expecting to find.  I would say that 1/3 to 1/2 of each issue is devoted to beginners or fairly new runners overcomming various challenges.  There are full length features on the more well know runners (Zola Budd for example) and the challenges they have faced in a lifetime of running.  For some reason those stories give me the extra boost I need to lace up my shoes in the morning.  I go back for more every couple of weeks.

Synchronistically, the C25K app popped up in the itunes app store about two weeks after I started running intervals on my own.  It is like having a personal coach in my ipod.  It keeps me going, but also puts the breaks on my inner maniac who wants to go all out and (and injure myself).  These forums are also a great source of inspiration and help me get through the rough spots and get questions answered.

The last thing that keeps me going is the lingering glow left over from my last run.  Once you get a taste of that, you won't want to quit, no matter how negative your family might be.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• Stombs Expert 50 posts since
    Oct 10, 2008
    8. Mar 17, 2010 2:50 PM (in response to AshAlex)

I two have dealt with more than discouraging people with running, who have often told me to stop and why I even bother to do it, but I ignored them and joined Team in Training to tackle my first "how am i going to even start running" question and since than I have done various races and found a true love for it. If you can start by running for an organization you feel close with, it is the easiest way to gain encouragement, they are extremely supportive:) Hope you start to run and ignore everyone else.

"When you cross the finish line, no matter how slow, no matter how fast it'll change your life forever"

- Dick Beardlsey "Spirit of the Marathon"

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    9. Mar 17, 2010 7:07 PM (in response to AshAlex)

I found out about Opperation Troop appreaciation among other avenues of fund raising a 5k is held annually and the entire purpose of the organization is to raise money for care packages for deployed troops, having been a military brat with parents deployed simultaneously and then married into the military and had my husband deployed I felt very close to the cause.  I started the c25k program in order to do the race and I cried as I finished, that was it I was hooked.  I love to run but most of my friends live very sedentary lifestyles with no signs of changing that, they don't get it and some even discourage it for reasons I don't care to allow them to express...I found active and this is where I got my support, it has come to a point that those closest to me have learned to live with me this way and have even helped me stick with training.  Once your mom gets that your serious maybe she will be more supportive, but if not just don't let it be an issue...

"nobody in the world cares if you lace up your running shoes but you, nobody in the world cares if you increase miles but you, nobody in the world cares whether you run a race but you, so care...because nobody else will" a quote I stole from another post I read when I was feeling the motivation lacking and it stuck with me.  The runner that posted it basically said you need to find your because and "run with it"  that was the best advise I got and it keeps me going.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• bobby_tee Expert 40 posts since
    Dec 4, 2008
    10. Mar 17, 2010 8:00 PM (in response to AshAlex)

Hi AshAlex. I don't know your exact situation or age, but for me, my overall motivation comes from the realization that if I don't get into shape now, it will one day be too late. I'm 50 now and I started running just over a year ago, after connecting with some college buddies who were into it. Let me just say that I have NEVER been a runner in my life. I always hated it, and felt that my stiff back prevented me from doing it on a regular basis. In fact, I would estimate that from about 1980 to 2008 I ran a total of about 1/4 mile. (And that was chasing my dog!) In 2009, I ran 12 races, including 2 half marathons, a couple of 10-milers, and a bunch of 5 and 10K's. Total miles in 2009: well over 600.

Don't get the wrong idea. I am no speed burner. I'm over 200 lbs, but down 30 lbs since I started running. For me the day to day motivation is knowing that I have another event coming up soon. So I need to train to be ready and do the best I can. Now I can honestly say that I love running. I run anywhere from 10-20 miles a week (more when a long race is coming up). There are definitely days when I don't feel like doing it, but the key is to go slow and commit to your training schedule.

And tell your Mom to get stuffed!

Good luck

• TimoWake Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    11. Mar 17, 2010 8:21 PM (in response to AshAlex)

Good luck!  I think everyone has done a good job touching on the fact that you need to surround yourself with positive people that will support you on your mission to become a runner.  I would highly recomend dailymile.com, because it will provide with a supportive social network where you can make friends that will support you on your journey.  Also, local running clubs are an easy way to make friends with similar goals and ambitions.  Finally, there are plenty of blogs out there that will provide you with motivation and uplifting stories of runners overcoming great odds. The best advice I can give you is to get out there and have fun.  If you enjoy running, then don't worry about what anyone else says.  Just do it!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points