Skip navigation

1194 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2010 12:50 PM by Running Down RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2010 10:30 AM

2010 Umstead Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the 2010 Umstead Marathon below Back to event details page.

• TripleF Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 8, 2007
    1. Mar 7, 2010 10:30 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 2010 Umstead Marathon Reviews

One of the best trail marathons out there.  Not easy!  But not super hard.  Great organization!  Interesting course where you are almost always seeing other runners!  Nice!

• Janine Forgione Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    2. Mar 7, 2010 11:18 AM (in response to Guest )

I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved this race. First of all...we were very lucky this year that it was a glorious sunny day in Raleigh, North Carolina. It was a challenging course...in which I was prepared for. This was the first time I have run this Umstead Marathon and my first trail race. I have discovered it's my new love. I had lots of fun on the single track and wished it was longer. The runners AND the volunteers were the most supportive people I have ever met in a race.The atmosphere was such that you felt that you could finish because I felt the volunteers were there specifically for me :-D  The stations had everything to offer...gu, water. gatorade, chips, bananas...you name it. Thanks Umstead Marathon, for making my first trail race a great experience !

• Jim Micheels Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    3. Mar 7, 2010 3:32 PM (in response to Guest )

Once again, an VERY well done race. Thank you to the organizers for continuing to put on this gem of a run. Great support from the aide stations and other participants along the way. Thank you for this annual experience.

• Jenny Hill Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    4. Mar 7, 2010 3:37 PM (in response to Guest )

The weather was as expected...perfect.  The organizers do way more than other events. Drinks, snacks, warm fire are all part of the pre-race enjoyment.  The goody bag is to behold with a wonderful Brooks shirt, Smartwool socks, towel, chicken poop lip-balm, and various other sundries. The course is very well marked, maned and aided. Time cut-offs are very reasonable for a course as demanding as this. The thrill of finishing is to receive your finishers cup, door prize and Moe's burrito after. The message was a treat as well. Once again the organizers do way more, the volunteers are friendly and the course is lovely.

• rrhobdy Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 16, 2007
    5. Mar 7, 2010 4:52 PM (in response to Guest )

Perfect weather, couldn't ask for better.  This was my second running of the Umstead Marathon and I definately enjoyed it better.  Not only had I prepared for it better by running up and down hills, and knew what to expect on the course, but the organizers outdid themselves this time.  I particularly enjoyed the humor in the little ditty signs, perfect for getting your mind on something other than placing one foot in front of the other.  I even did a PB on this course!  Not bad for this old geezer!  I'll be back to do it a third time soon.  Particularly since it is one of very few that are run on Saturdays so that I can go to church on Sundays.  See you at the next one!

• bevie Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    6. Mar 8, 2010 6:51 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time running a marathon and I came in with very limited training due to a personal issue that required my time day and night. I have trained at Umstead for the past 3 years and was ready to cancel this race but my s/o told me try and see how well I can do at the least. Although I was not totally happy with the outcome due to missing the time cutoff on Turkey Creek I have to say I did much better than anticipated. I will not whine or cry because there are many people in life who would love the opportunity to just walk to the start line so I'm very thankful for the chance to start and to make it at least 18 miles on very little training. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming to me even though I struggled to keep pace. I really wanted to get my finishers pint as I have dreamed of running this race many times but you have to earn it and I congratulate all the finishers, I truly admire you and have much respect for this trail.

• nreeck Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    7. Mar 8, 2010 7:08 AM (in response to Guest )

This is my 2nd year running this marathon, and it really doesn't get much better than this.  Aid stations are perfectly placed (about every 2 miles) and all have water and sports drink (most have Gu as well).  Volunteers are very friendly, and I love the small marathon feel (superb goodie bag for a small race - the socks and shirt are great!).  The key for me is no pavement - easier on the knees for sure.  It's hilly, but not brutally so.  All in all, a good training race for Boston for me.  I'll be back next year.  Thanks to the organizers and volunteers for a great race!

• DiaBeatIt! Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 8, 2009
    8. Mar 9, 2010 6:01 AM (in response to Guest )

I've done a lot of Triathlons - 5-6 1/2 Iron distance and one Iron - and some shorter road races, and this is by far the best supported race I have ever run.  All the aid stations had everything they said they would (no running out of gels or drinks for the slower runners) and there were volunteers on bikes offering aid between the stations.  All the volunteers knew what they were doing, and there were enough volunteers that no one had to queue up to get a cup of water.  some of the aid stations even had pitchers ready to refill water bottles quickly.

On top of all this, the trails were gorgeous, the course was well marked, and the weather was perfect.  I had a rough day due to a sinus infection and inadequate training, and I still had a great time.  I will DEFINITELY do this race again.

• Running Down Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 15, 2007
    9. Mar 12, 2010 12:50 PM (in response to Guest )

This race is OK. But really, you are not missing much. If you do decide to sign up for 2011, don't rush into anything, think about it a while. At least wait until January before signing up.

http://www.running-down.com/2010/03/2010-umstead-marathon-race-report.html

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...