Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1008 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2010 10:57 AM by klasmom5 RSS
Aaron Pankiewicz Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2010 7:13 AM

Brooks Gylcerin Question

Hey guys,

I just picked up a pair of the new Brooks Gylcerin and I've got to say I really like the feel. I had one problem though when i was running in them, and wanted to see if you guys had any advice.
I've been running in the Asics Nimbus and usually get 12s in those but I needed something now and I wanted to try out something new until the next model comes out in May. The Gylcerin feel great but I had a little problem with tightness. I had to use the extra set of lace holes to pull back my toes a little bit in the 12s. I didn't want to go up to the 12.5 cause i don't want my feet sliding around. The problem I had was the laces were short with that slot used and I had to pull them pretty tight to get them tied. Tying them that tight doesn't really work because I ended up ripping up the back of my heel a little. I was just gonna pick up new laces, but I looked on Brooks website and they say that they recommend going up a size from your dress shoe size (12 for me). So my question was do you guys usually go up a size from your normal size with Brooks shoes?
The fit was great if I didn't have to pull the things so tight so I'm just leaning towards longer laces but I wanted to see what others had to say. I just got them and my running store does exchanges for 15 days and refunds for a little after that.
Thanks for the help
Aaron
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Mar 9, 2010 7:31 AM (in response to Aaron Pankiewicz)
    Re: Brooks Gylcerin Question

Basically there should be a thumb-nail width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.  For me that means wearing a 12 in running shoes when my street shoe size is 10.5 to 11.  A half size increase represents about 1/6 of an inch, so take that into consideration as well.  Ultimately you have to be comfortable in the shoes.  If the 12s work fine except for the laces, get longer laces.

Len

Len

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    2. Mar 10, 2010 1:27 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I totally agree with Len.  You probably have shoes that are too small.  I am a woman and have always worn mens shoes...even in high school (athletic shoes that is).  Always a 10.  In the last few years I've been wearing an 11 in my running shoes and most, if not all of my feet issues have gone away.  My little piggies were always squished.  Now I can wiggle my feet, but I make sure to try on alot of shoes because I the mid-sole to benice and tight/supported, and then my toes to be loose and comfy.

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    3. Mar 11, 2010 10:57 AM (in response to jcrule)

FYI - I just bought a pair of Brook (not the same style as yours) and the saleman told me that Brooks tend to run about a half size smaller than the Asics that I was running in.  So, you may be better off trading them in for a slightly bigger shoe.  Hope this helps!

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points