Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1838 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2010 9:18 AM by calbiker
kdr runner Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 10, 2010 11:31 AM

What treadmill do you use?

and do you love it or hate it and what is the best thing about it.

I'm in Oregon and the weather is rainy an cold for a while longer plus with my husband's work schedule it would allow me to walk or run anytime I wanted to.

I want something I can run on (slowly starting to run).

I have started looking at the

Sole F80

http://www.soletreadmills.com/details.php?name=F80

or the

Sole F85

http://www.soletreadmills.com/details.php?name=F85&gclid=CNax29zA6J8CFRMXawodVXLIHQ

it looks like Lance Armstrong has some out now and also PRECOR....

What are your suggestions?

Thanks for the advice!

Kim

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 11, 2010 11:56 AM (in response to kdr runner)
    Re: What treadmill do you use?

I have a Sole F83, and it's worked very nicely for me. Please see this previous thread: http://community.active.com/thread/75173/treadmill-suggestions/0/0

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    2. Feb 26, 2010 1:48 PM (in response to dwm082)

I used to have a Landice.....  It was awesome.  Very thick and soft belt.  Super heavy.  I don't love TM's in general though and got rid of it, but it makes the ones at my gym seem pretty cheap.

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    3. Feb 26, 2010 2:49 PM (in response to gatorman10)

I've posted this elsewhere so please forgive me for repeating myself:

I use a great treadmill from Smooth Fitness. These are only sold on the internet and they offer great machines.

Check out www.smoothfitness.com. The machines come with a 10 year warranty on the motor and 1 year warranty on home service.

They have strong, strong decks and are streamlinedso they don't take up the whole room.

They have all the bells and whistles as well as toggle switches on the handles to adjust speed and elevation.

The Smooth 5.45 is the lower end version at $945.  I have found it is strong enough to handle extended running.  

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    4. Mar 10, 2010 1:35 PM (in response to classicallytrained)

We have a Pacemaster http://www.pacemaster.com/index.cfm

We are tall so we paid a little extra money for the longer track.  I wish we could have afforded one of the "cushy" belts.  We got ours in 2005 and have had to have only one repair.  The certified repairman was nice, and fixed the problem with ease and we haven't had any issues since.

My advice would be to spend the extra money and get a treadmill that will last a while...so a more heavy duty one.  And one that is compatible with your heart rate chest strap....they often come with a chest strap if it has a heart rate option.

The only thing I wish we had on ours...the ONLY thing I regret, is that there isn't a number pad.  You have to just use the up/down arrow to change up the speed.  Yes, not that big of a deal, but it is annoying when you are going from 6.0 mph to 3.2 I would like to only punch in a few numbers and be done with it.

Good luck!

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    5. Apr 9, 2010 9:18 AM (in response to jcrule)

I have a brand new Vision fitness T9600 with the Premier Console and Love it! What I like best is the programabilty of the Premier Console. I can create tons of courses and save them all. I can also save courses with 21 different segments or speed and elevation changes on each saved course. It allows for several different users, each having their own log in and programability options and keeps track of each run in thier own traning libraby. The deck is fully reversible too so when the used side gets worn beyond use I can just flip it over. It has an Orthopedic belt which is also nice. The console also allows for DVD or any other input you wanted to use such as Audio or even a VCR that plays right on the LCD display screen. It is a $3000.00 TM I got brand new for $2300.00 so I am more than happy with it.

I retired my 10 year old (still working fine) Vision Fitness folding TM for this new one and have no regrets. I was looking into a Sports Art TM but stuck with Vision Fitness due to how bullet proof they are made.

Onward and Forward !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...