Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

960 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2010 10:15 AM by zebUSCG
zebUSCG Expert 38 posts since
Nov 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2010 10:15 AM

Hiatus from running and starting back up after a short break...

Hey how goes it. Was wondering if any tips on how to ease back into running after 4 to 5 weeks off? I Ran a marathon 12 weeks ago, and week later really pushed it getting back into my first run since the race. Following the run a strange pain occurred on the outside of my right leg from below the knee area to the quadriceps. I decided to continue running, and through the discomfort in my leg for the next 10 weeks. About three weeks ago the whole side of the leg became very inflamed. Rested a week, and the swelling dissipated. Eventually two weeks pain was gone. Right now three weeks in some pain if I stretch it out to long when riding the bike.  Plan was to rest for five weeks. The leg feels better. I was thinking of running 3 miles today, and then again the following Thursday. Then two Sundays from now will begin to ease back into my running schedule. Was planning to do 5 5k’s the first week. Then five 4 mile runs the following week, and until can reach six miles five times a week. Then stay there for a week, and build off of that. Would that be doing too much too soon? Should I wait till that Sunday, and instead of running earlier? One final question during the time off been biking, and swimming. I never used any type of weights before to work on muscles in the leg. Under the assumption that running, and cross training works those muscles enough that you did not really need to do anything else. Would there be any truth to that statement? Thanks for the feedback.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...