Skip navigation

2891 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2010 5:48 AM by johnyct9760 RSS
johnyct9760 Amateur 24 posts since
Aug 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2010 1:27 PM

Swimming in filthy polluted water

I'm in the NYC Tri and I have to say the idea of swimming in the Hudson river  (the main river that flows through NYC, and New Jersey before that…need I say more) is making me nervous right now and the event isn't even till July does any one know something kind of cleanser that I could pop open and poor all over my self at the T1. I didn't care how it looks to the others! When their at mile 12 of the bike ride and there....everything starts to itch they will wish they had cleaned up as well.

I'm totally open to any suggestions that make sense don't compromise my T1 times too severely.

Thanks

John

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    1. Mar 11, 2010 2:34 PM (in response to johnyct9760)
    Re: Swimming in filthy polluted water

I saw that and had the same response...But others have survived before you. Pray for rain during the race but not before it.  How hard was it getting the registration and qualifying times

I just read they have a psychologist at the start and he/she kicks your butt in the water. The current will help too

• zebUSCG Expert 38 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    2. Mar 11, 2010 2:25 PM (in response to johnyct9760)

There is the NYC 28 mile marathon swim, and those people come out alright, cough! Should be alright, and good luck with the triathlon. In the end you can always use these, http://www.aftasport.com/ Best way to describe it as a shower towel.

• hitman786 Amateur 35 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    4. Mar 12, 2010 11:43 AM (in response to johnyct9760)

lol, you are afraid of jumping into river but i am sure they'll throw you in if you hesitate for even a second.

Triathlon Training Programs - 10% discount using code ACTIVE10

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    5. Mar 13, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to johnyct9760)

I'd use Action Wipes or Action Wipes spray, combined with oral Oil or Oregano *prior* to getting in the water. Here's your links:

ActionWipes: http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2009/03/podcast-episode-36-why-ben-greenfield-smells-like-a-spa/

Oregano: http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/oregano

Best of luck!

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• Adam Wellman Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    6. Mar 15, 2010 1:35 PM (in response to johnyct9760)

Did that race in 2008.  Had a school (flock? pod? swarm?) of jellyfish hit the course at exactly the wrong time and dozens of folks swam through and got stung.  Some even inside the mouth.  Yuk.  I emerged unscathed, but it wasn't like swimming in Lake Huron, that's for sure.  My advice: practice breathing that restricts taking ANY water into your mouth.  Put a bit of extra roll into it.

That race is very, very difficult.  It's a LOT more hilly than you'd think when considering Manhattan and the area.  The bike has several decent grinding climbs and the run in Central Park is all up and down.  2008 was HOT.  Like 95+.  I hear last year was cooler, but rainy.  Look at the results history and you'll see it is a race with "slow" times compared to other Oly distances.  Reset your goals appropriately.

Also, I don't know if it was a joke or not, but there is no psychologist pushing folks in the water.  You jump in, hold a rope to keep from going down the river with the current, the gun goes off, and you go.

Good luck.

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    7. Mar 15, 2010 4:01 PM (in response to johnyct9760)

Another good reason to have one (or more) clean water bottles at transition along with a chamois or towel. Dump on head and rinse out the mouth. I'm not keen on ocean swims for the same reason (salt water...blech!).

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    8. Mar 16, 2010 4:16 AM (in response to johnyct9760)

Did the race last year.  I wouldn't worry about the water.  Just be careful when you get near the finish and don't "stand down", rather swim up to the exit ramp.  I did this and had no issues at all.

Expect a long T-1, the run from the swim exit to your bike is a solid 1/2 mile run.

Also, depending on your wave, you may experience a long wait.  If I recall, there are over 2 hours of wave start times.

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    10. Mar 16, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to johnyct9760)

Well, for an out of towner, The host hotel is in Mid-town.  Its not close to the race start.  Consider finding a hotel close to the start.  (I don't have a suggestion).  Last year it took a long time to get over to the start.  Traffic was a b_tch.  You drop your stuff off  in T-1 race morning (except your bike that gets dropped off the day before) and have to walk well over a mile and a half to the swim start.  Not a big deal if you have a late wave, but if you have an early wave, it can be an issue if you don't plan for the traffic.

The bike is rolling hills on the West Side Highway - very cool for people that commute on the road, I did not find it difficult (compared to Rev3 and Toughman as examples of much harder courses).  The big issue is the roads are full of pot holes. Keep an eye out for them - lots of flats last year.  I had an early start, (men's elite), but the faster groups with later starts had to fight through a lot of slower people.

The run was great.  Lots of cheering and support.

July in NYC is HUMID.

Logistics are the hardest part of the race.  Between the host hotel in Mid-town, T-1 & T-2 (same place) over a mile from the race start, the finish line in central park, and the mass of people that are at NYC for an "event" rather than a race, its a do it once race.

Glad I did it, but I did not sign up this year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...