Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2229529 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 1 2 3 ... 760 Previous Next
Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
Aug 27, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2010 11:34 AM

200+ Pound Club!

Hey all!  Welcome!  This started out as a thread for me to track my progress through C25K  as a nearly 300 pound runner.  But along the way it has become a gathering place  for all us 200+  folks to find some encouragement and support  no matter where we are in our running journey.  So come on in and join us,  introduce yourself, tell us your goals and share your successes.  We can't wait to meet you ! 

***original first post below. ***

Hello all!!  I'm back, finally. I suppose many of you have no idea who I am, but I started C25K  last August  and  was here when the 200+ threads started and were dedicated to those among us just maybe just starting our path to become "runners.  I place for beginners  to  meet and support each other as we take our first steps.  I wonder if  any of those folks are still here.

But it's great that peopla are here to come back and share with. I've gone the wrong way since I left, stopped running in November when it got cold,  gained 10 or so more pounds and generally lost it.  But I am back now, first run of my new W1D1 was tonight. 40degrees and dark but there have already been too many "tomorrows," I wasn't  doing one more. I can't.  I weighed in tonight at 288 lbs....    I've got 100 pounds to lose in 10 months. My goal is to hit my 40th birthday January 5th at my goal weight for the first time in my adult life.

Run went good,  but hard.  I did more like a mid-week 2 workout, just to see how far I could push.  Wednesday is  back to  true W1D2 and start with a slow build.  I look forward to meeting everyone!

Happy running!

C25K GRADUATE!
Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    1. Mar 2, 2010 5:39 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club.... 3/1/2010 C25K thread

Hey there.  I am wondering if your old group is now the 200+ One Hour Runners now???  Anyhow I'm over there and just though maybe your fellow mates would be there as they've progressed to running further?

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• ct422 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010
    3. Mar 5, 2010 3:18 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi.

I'm happy to join in.  Am just on the bandwagon..but have seesawed so many times in the past its not worth mentioning.  Running, however, is something I've never really tried.  I'm a bit squeamish about the "D" word (discipline) and the love of running has never been clear to me.

I know, though, that it is great for you...and with this program, I am hopeful that I will develop a genuine passion for something that is so great for overall health.  I'm a little skeptical at this point, that I will be able to run a 5 k in 9 weeks, but am more than willing to give it a shot.  A couple of issues..

1. I don't have good shoes..any recommendations?  how much can I expect to spend?
    2. I've seen something about podcasts, but don't know where they are...help?
    3. does it really work?  Can a 5'5", 256 lb. 47 yo woman really succeed at this regimen?  My kids giggled when I told them I was considering it.

smile.

Cindy

• ckspores Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009
    5. Mar 8, 2010 8:07 AM (in response to ct422)

1. Unless you are planning on running barefoot (which isn't for everyone) you must have good shoes.  It may not be an emergency if you are just starting but I would recommend going to a local running store and being fitted for shoes.  I use Brooks Adrenaline and they are $105 but they won't necessarily work for you.

2.  I use the C25K app on my iPod.  You can find the apps and the podcasts on iTunes.  I don't know if they are available elsewhere.

3.  YOU CAN DO IT!  I'm 27 and 198 pounds and have been overweight my entire adult life.  I am currently working on week 4 and I feel so much better than I have in recent memory.  The key is to start slow and proceed at your own pace.  I admit that I haven't lost a serious amount of weight over the last month but I feel great, my clothing fits better, and I've gained muscle and lost a few inches in various places.

5/16-Brookfield Zoo Run Wild 5k
    6/19-Warrior Dash
    6/27-Rainbows Summer Sunset 10k
    9/5-Batavia Half Madness
    10/31-Sycamore Pumpkin Festival 10k
    11/27-Schaumburg Half Marathon Turkey Trot

Mar 5, 2010
    6. Mar 8, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful response.  Per your suggestion, I found the podcast through an easy google search.  How easy is that?  Today is start day...I think I'll stick with shoes for now, but I've also heard about the benefits of barefoot runs.  Pretty interesting, huh?  tks again.  cindy

Mar 5, 2010
    7. Mar 8, 2010 8:24 AM (in response to ckspores)

Thanks dizzy.

I found the podcasts and have successfully downloaded week one onto my ipod.  I can't believe how easy they make it!  believe it or not..I was seriously worried about the timing thing..

Cindy

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    9. Mar 9, 2010 1:13 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Dear  WideGuy,

I would love to join the new 200 + club! I'm a new "start again" jogger. Jogged in college because I had to stay in shape & am now trying because I kind of enjoy it.

I'm starting W4 tonight, running inside on treadmill. I am 47, 5'10" ish & checking in around 231 lbs. Thats down from 278 on January  17, 2009. Since that day, I havent had 1 bite of a candy bar, candy anything. Now it's time to start rebuilding/shaping the earth suit. I want to sent out an early "Thanks" for all the encouragment & help I have found in these post already & that I know will keep coming our way.  Be Well & Stay Determined!! TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• Memaw56 Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    10. Mar 12, 2010 2:40 AM (in response to Wideguy)

New goals. New attitude. Joining in. I want to do this, but don't know how to start. First 5K in 2 weeks.

• kademrulz Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010
    12. Mar 12, 2010 7:25 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi. I am a 29, 5'6" and weighing in at 260 lb. I had just decided today that I wanted to learn how to run. Last night I was working out on the elliptical and the guy in front of me was just jogging away with such a nice smooth gait he was fun to watch. I was also thinking that there was no way I could do that for even a couple of minutes. I hate not being able to do something so today I decided I wanted to be able to run 5 mi by the end of the year. Well 3 mi in two months works for me too.  I found this link in the exercise section of the bodybuilding.com website (I love that site).  So here I am.  I won't be back at the gym until Sunday so that is when I will start W1D1. I thought about today but it is still snowing and I am just not that disciplined to go jogging in the street in the snow.   So thanks in advance for all the help and support! 

• Laurie5b Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    13. Mar 12, 2010 8:07 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hey there!  I'm finally back and am very happy to see this thread!  Motivation is something i need.  I'm fairly consistent with working out these days but not so consistent with my attitude.  Am hoping i'll find the support I need here.

Just to fill in a little about me. I weight 290 two years ago. Lost 100 pounds in ten months. It was hard work grueling. I changed my diet and started walking five minutes at a time and lifting weights ( i was totally out of shape, huffing and puffing up the stairs.) Then i added more time, more reps and started cutting out food.  It worked.  Last year i put some pounds back on- bad attitude and stopped walking.  I've been working out for three months and finally broke 200.  When i think about how hard the past three months have been, harder than at any other time losing weight i wonder how i broke that promise to myself and let the weight come back on.  I really need this thread- thanks wideguy.

1 2 3 ... 760 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...