Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

63434 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 Previous Next
  • k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009

It is so great to hear how well everyone is doing.  I am still at it as well, I am just going slowly.  My hip problems really set me back, but switching to invervals has been a huge help.  I am consistenly running 2.5 to 3 miles each run.  I am working out regularly too.  I decided I am not going to be a person who regularly races, so running for fitness is for me.  I hope to continue to add distance, but I have been very careful because I do not want to cause long term damage to my joints.  I figure when I lose more weight, it will get much easier.  Congratulations to all!

Keep running!

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    511. Mar 1, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to LB82)
    Pee Wee is depressed!

I am soooo happy to get your messages.  It is encouraging.  After we 'wrapped' it up, somehow I thought I could continue to increase my speed and mileage as quickly as we had over the time we were together.  WRONG!  My body hadn't yet adapted to the 3 miles so when I pushed it, I got discouraged.  My knee hurt and the bottoms of my feet hurt.  I cut back majorly.

I am looking back with hindsight that I should've just kept doing intervals at a really slow speed and stayed at under an hour for a couple more months.  I had signed up for a 10k on March 14th thinking that BY THEN, I can run a full 6 miles.  It's humbling to be patient with my body. 

You have all made me feel really really good and motivated to get your messages.  I can do it.  I can do it.  I can do it.  I am going out today and running intervals of 5 minutes or less for an hour at a really really slow speed.  Huggs to you all!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    512. Mar 1, 2010 2:15 PM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Pee Wee is depressed!

Hey all of you continuing runners.. just want to invite you again to post on our continuing thread.   It is titled,  "10K training program Dec 6 thru 12" ... I'm not good at updating threads or titles..but that is where we are.  Like I said before no need to be training for a 10K or anything at all.. its just for continuing on with running.

About distances..  even though I am training for a half marathon this is not about distances.  Running is great and you can get a wonderful workout in a half an hour.  I think for many that is a great place to stop and enjoy  the great work out you get with doing that.  Maintaining that level is so good for your heart and will make your legs and joints stronger.  So much better than pushing too quickly and getting injured.

Pee Wee..don't be depressed!   Your back~!

It is wonderful getting updates from the group!   Keep them coming!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    513. Mar 1, 2010 9:30 PM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)

Pee Wee!

I know exactly what you mean.  I was so discouraged when my hips kept hurting.  Once I let go of the thought of adding mileage in a set time limit, and I focused on fitness, it made me feel much better.  I set my watch for intervals of 3 minutes running 1 minute walking.  It keeps my heart rate up the entire time, and every time, I add another interval.  I am doing about 7 right now.  Each time I run, I evaluate how my hip feels.  If it is good, then I can add another interval.  If it is tight or feels like I will have a problem, I keep it at the same interval. I have noticed that I am able to run faster than I can run when I am running for longer times.  I thought I would try a program, but I felt like that was pressuring me beyond what my body could do right now.  You may want to try something like this as well.  I just keep reminding myself that every person is different, and that fitness is the main goal.  You can do it!

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    514. Mar 9, 2010 5:09 AM (in response to k9178)

Hey everyone, I just had to come and share my accomplishment.  On Saturday, I ran my first race of the year, the Shamrock Run 8k.  My last 8k was the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day, which I ran in 57:24.

This run was 47:32.  Nearly 10 minutes faster, and a pace well under 10 minutes/mile.  I was so excited!

I'm planning to do at least a 5k at least every 2-3 weeks all summer, and continue to get my times down and my distances up. I've joined a local running club, in the hopes that I can find someone at a similar skill level to train with.

Considering that 5 months ago, I couldn't run for 60 seconds straight, I'm so proud of this time.  It's crazy!

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    515. Mar 9, 2010 6:32 AM (in response to PearsonFlyer)

congrats on your accomplishment!

keeping track of your times is GREAT-and in a way I feel sorry for those folks our age who have been running for 20-30 years-all THEIR p.r.'s are behind them-while as new runners  OUR p.r.s are ahead of us!!!!

I had a milestone myself this morning- one I have thought about  EVERY day since I started the C25K on 10-3-09.

the big deal for me-was that this morninjg I took my young Lab. out for a 3 mile run. I have run consistently indoors all winter on an indoor track-and my times have been OK- but for a variety of reasons I have only run outside 2 times since Newyears Day.

It was just a super experience-and a MUCH anticipated one. we ran along the same trail I started the c25k on just 5 months ago-and it was great fun to  remember sloogging along counting out every second of walk/run intervals last fall.

Annie ( my young La)0 LOVED it it-but of course she is wiped out now and sleeping it off!.

stephen

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    516. Mar 12, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)
    Gonna Do My First Race!

Sunday is my first race and I've taken all of your advice and slowed down.  I've been doing the run walk method that many of you have mentioned.  I've been super hydrating and eating properly.  Things are looking good!  I'm just gonna keep plugging along and doing my thang!  It's all good.  I've added in cycling and a lot of hiking so the physical fitness level has definitely improved over the time.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming outdoor season to put all of my skills into FUN!

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    517. Mar 12, 2010 9:26 AM (in response to PearsonFlyer)

Great job! You should be proud!!!!

Oct 6, 2009
    518. Mar 12, 2010 9:28 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

I bet your lab loved it! And it got all his energy out, great job!

Oct 6, 2009
    519. Mar 12, 2010 9:28 AM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Gonna Do My First Race!

Goodluck this sunday, you will do great!

Oct 6, 2009
    520. Mar 12, 2010 9:30 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

To me its not about how fast I go. But I feel more like a runner finally! yesterday I did a mile in 12.26, Im so happy and proud to know that I can do this!!

My other 2 miles were in the 13 minutes, which I am fine by. I enjoy running, I love the challenge, even the mind games haha.

• LexMills Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012

I am starting Today! I have been thinking of this for a year. I ran track in HS but stopped. Once I married and stayed home with my children, I became even more out of shape. (No time it seemed.)  I want to get in better shape for them and for myself. I am 36 with 4 year old twins and an 8 year old daughter.  My husband is a great help but works A Lot!

• sugarpuft Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 28, 2012
    522. Sep 28, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

OK, 9/29 it is. I am fat and depressed and feeling lonely.  What the heck. A friend told me about this site, and it seems interesting. Good luck, and let's check in afterwards (when we have regained consciousness).

Sep 28, 2012
    523. Sep 29, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to sugarpuft)

OK, I DID it! I did the first workout of Week 1 of the CP5K, and I am staggered at how good I felt afterward! Also I am amazed at how far I was able to run before walking... baby steps for most human beings, but way better than I dreamed of doing. Good start. Mood improved for a few hours after but faded. Maybe that will improve over time, too?

Sep 28, 2012
    524. Sep 29, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to LexMills)

So did you do it? How do you feel?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...