Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2122824 Views 11,397 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2014 7:32 PM by lenzlaw RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 760 Previous Next
  • TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 12, 2010 1:23 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club.... 3/1/2010 C25K thread

Hey there fellow runners,

Just did W4D2 last night & it wasn't quite as pathetic an event as W4D1 was. Managed to hold off the gasping for air until the last 2 minutes of the 2nd 5 minute jog segment. But, I didn't have to slow down or drop my incline any!! I'm jogging @ 4.5 mph & walking @ 3.7mph with a 2% incline on the treadmill.

For a sense of purpose, I sent in my entry to my first 5k ever. The OKC Bombing Memorial 5k & marathon in OKC, Oklahoma on April 25th. Should be thru the program by then but even if I'm not, I'm going to go & finish (eventually) ; ).

If anybody else is from the great wind blown, "below average temps" state of Oklahoma, chime in & we can suffer together. Wind is 35-40 + mph today. Cannot imagine trying to run in that stuff. 

Be Well & Stay Determined !!! TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    16. Mar 13, 2010 7:35 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Wideguy - I too need to lose a total of 90-100 lbs, and I have 50-60 lbs to go.  I'll be real happy if I can reach that goal by the end of September.

I'm from the 200+ group of last fall and I'm still hanging in there.  I did ok thru December, but then some family issues sidelined me for about 10 weeks, so I trained on and off, and lost a lot of conditioning.  From Sept thru December I lost about 40 lbs, but now I've been kicking around the same 5 lbs for the last 10 weeks (225# +/- 2.5 lbs).  So this last week I've tried to be more consistent, and I'm getting back to my mindful eating and my food/exercise journal.  I still have no problem running 3-4.5 miles, but the difficulty is staying consistent, and then building back to my long run of 6+ miles, at a decent speed. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• Kerrywm Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    17. Mar 14, 2010 6:17 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Good morning!

I am so glad to see this post on my first visit to this forum.  I am going to jump right in and join you since this morning I did w1d1 of couch to 5k.  I laid in bed staring at the treadmill for an hour this morning before I finally got on and just did it.  It is so raining here in Massachusetts that running outside was nowhere near on my radar screen!

Anyway, I am a single working mom of two small kids.  I lost about 30 lbs this past year, but the adjustment to single motherhood has not been graceful for me, apparently and I have put on a lot of weight..  I had to face the music at the dr office on thursday when the scale said 224lbs (I am 5foot6inches).

I have wanted to run a race for such a long time.  Now is the time to actually do it.

Hope I can lend support to others who are trying to run their first (or first this time around) 5k and get support from others as well!

Kerry

• fitjesse Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    18. Mar 14, 2010 9:39 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hello all.  My name is Jesse. I am 5'11'' and 294lbs.  I started C25K last year in April and made it to week 4 before I got sidetracked.  I re-started last Sunday and completed Week 1 and did W2D1 today.  I did well on the first three intervals, but for the 4th and 5th I did about 45 seconds of running.  I ran the entire 6th interval.  I signed up for the Run to Rememebr 5K on May 1st and my goal is to run it in 36 minutes or less.  My long term goal is to lose 100 lbs in 15 months before my 32nd birthday.  This would be similar to my weight when I graduated high school.

Attachments:
  • runnungcrazy Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    19. Mar 14, 2010 11:34 AM (in response to Wideguy)

SO, I stumbled across this site and blog today and was very happy. I am a  45 almost 46 year old  female who joined a bootcamp program 8 wks ago. Starting weight was 223lbs, final weigh in was 207 last friday. i went from the couch to exercising 3 nights a week in a group and 2-3 days at home. Ran walked my very first 5k, The Gaspirilla ( in the rain), which was exciting. But seem to only be able to run any distance, (minutes) on the treadmill. HELP. I have signed up to do another 5k on 3-27-10, 4-10-10 and 6-12-10 and was brave and decided to committ to 1/2 marathon in 11-10.. I need help. What are the abbreviations like widi ck25 etc?? How should I be training? Where do I go from where I started.? Can  somenody help me?

• reaves19 Amateur 23 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    20. Mar 14, 2010 5:38 PM (in response to runnungcrazy)

Hi! I just started the C25k last week. I am starting W2D1 tomorrow. I am 5'10 and weigh in at 269 lbs. I started the year at 280 and joined the c25k this month after wanting to join it in January. I told my family I wanted to do a 5k in May so now they are holding me to it since they've all paid their entry fees and I can't let them down.

I was surprised that I could even run for 1 minute and although I'm kinda scared about week two I am determined to do it. Feel free to email or post for support.

Rita

• kwmb Expert 48 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    22. Mar 15, 2010 8:25 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Good morning everyone!!!

Wideguy, I just want to let you know that you are such an inspiring person! I've read all the replies on this post, and you have nothing but nice things to say! Thank you in advance for that!

Now let me tell you all abit about myself.... I'm going to be 25 on Marth 19th; I am a mother of 3 boys, wife to one terrific man, and have struggled with weight issues my whole life. I was never skinny, but looking back now, I wish I wasn't so hard on myself when I was a size 14!!! Now I'm a size 18-20, depending on where I shop.

I've started the C25K program THIS MORNING, and omg!!! Was it ever brutal!!!!! I'm just wondering, if I have zero moderate exercise as of lately, should i do some conditioning first? before I continue on with the C25K??? I just dont know if I'm setting myself up for failure-because thats the LAST thing I want to do.....anyway, I did W1D1 this morning, and my lungs hurt, my ribs hurt, my chest hurt, but I DID IT.....i may have looked ridiculous jogging at a very slow crawl, but I did it right? lol....I already know I will most likely repeat the first week, just to get used to this....but it sure felt good to beable to jog/speedwalk around the park/lake near my house!

Anyway....I'm going to include a picture just to give an idea of my weight and size. I'm 5'9, and just under 250.....gross hey? somewhere along the way, I was an attractive woman! lol I just want to be a healthier woman now, not just for me, but for my sons! I want them to be proud of me, and I want to live long to watch them grow up! =)

ps. my youngest is 13 months old, and I swear I still look pregnant! I hate it!!!! =(

Attachments:

Started C25K on March 15/2010

~kristen~

"If you always do what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got" ..so lets switch it up!

Jan 21, 2010
    23. Mar 15, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to kwmb)

I wanted to reply to KWMB - I am at 5'10 and 270 lbs. I did week one last week and even though I was scared to fall of thread mill or looking stupid I did it. And even on Thursday I was looking for excuses to not do Fridays workout but I did it. I have a bad knee, hip and back due to my weight and i started off my walks at 2.5-2.9 by end of week and my "jogs" are only between 3.9-4.1 but it was a jog to me. You think its scary looking pregnant after a 13 month old try looking pregnant (and people asking about it) 7 years after your child is born. You are there for you and even the fact that one of the little kids in my daughters class made her cry Friday because they told her I was fat only motivated me more. You can do it!

Rita

• danalynn45 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    26. Mar 15, 2010 11:12 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hey everybody,  I'm going to start on week 2 this evening, currently training on the treamill.  Every day of week 1 got a little easier, especially after I found podcasts so I could just go without looking at the time.  I find that watching the seconds tick by seems to make those running intervals a lot longer!  I even go as far as taking my glasses off while I'm running and taking the time off primary display on the treadmill so I can't read it, because I can't seem to help glancing down at it.

As far as the weight, I was always a little chubby ever since I was a kid.  Blame mom's homecooking and my lack of coordination where sports were concerned.  Through high school I danced which kept me in okay shape, only 10-20 lbs overweight (yeah, I know, 'only?!'...well it's a lot worse now).  I'm 5'8" and probably weighed about 180 at that point.

A year or so after graduating I got into a relationship and our habits were sedentary, we ate junk all the time, no bottled water in the house - just soda, etc.  Two and a half years later after some things went down, I realized I needed to get out of that for my mental, emotional, and physical health.  At that point, I weighed in at 260.  Yeah, +80 lbs in 2 years, and I didn't even see it happening.

It's been another couple years since then, and at one point last summer I got down to 212 with diet, walking everyday with a bit of jogging thrown in, but have since gained a bunch back, and this morning my scale read 232.6.  I NEED to get serious about this.  My new year's resolution was to lose 50 lbs this year (I started 2010 at 240).  I went out this weekend and bought some dumbbells and new workout clothes.  I wanted to post here to make myself a little more accountable, I've also been posting some on facebook about the weight loss and running.

I CAN AND WILL DO IT THIS TIME!

Jan 21, 2010
    27. Mar 15, 2010 2:10 PM (in response to danalynn45)

Hey I know how you feel and believe it or not it's nice to see other people having the sam struggles I am. It makes me feel like maybe I'm not crazy or lazy

• Staceyacey Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    28. Mar 15, 2010 3:07 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi everyone!

I just finished W1D3 this morning!  I'm 26, 5' 9" and 212lbs.  A few years ago, I reached my peak weight during a bad relationship, 265lbs.  I lost most of that weight from low-carb dieting and probably less stress eating.  For the last 5 years, I've held a job that requires a lot of walking around and lifting, and that has probably helped me keep my weight down.  Since high school, I have done very little exercising, and luckily was still able to participate in whatever I wanted to do.  My wake-up call came when I went on a day-long hiking trip with a few friends.  I nearly passed out... twice...  5 miles from civilization.  I decided then that something had to be done.  It took a few months before I really got determined.  I tried walking with a friend, but that didn't pan out... plus it takes forever!  A friend came to visit from out of town (I hadn't physically seen her in about a year and a half).  She had always been my fat compatriot.  This girl had gone from a size 16-18 to a size 4 in 6 months!  I was amazed.  Of course, I begged her to tell me all about how she'd accomplished what she had, and she said C25k!  I had to try it.  Well, before I bought the iPhone app (I tried estimating my time - who can count and run at the same time?), my dedication was negligible, but I'm turning things around now!   I'll start week 2 on Wednesday, and I'm looking forward to the change.  So far, I've had very little difficulty keeping up.  I have a bad knee, and even that hasn't really been bothering me, and I've experienced very little soreness.  If you can't tell, I'm super excited about this plan's potential.  I feel great!

I'm trying really hard to pace myself and keep to the original timeline, but I want to do more!  Thus, I'm starting weight training on the off days so I can feel like I've accomplished something.  I really enjoyed reading all your posts!  Thanks for being an inspiration!

-Stacey

• Afighter Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    29. Mar 15, 2010 4:26 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hello All,

I came across this blog after signing up for my first 10 mile run.  I started my training program four weeks ago.  I started my weight loss journey in Sept 09 and have lost 44lbs since. It was finally time to take care of myself especially after years of graduate school.  I plan to lose 80--100lbs more. 

I have a wonderful trainer who has walked with me through it all and is now encouraging me to challenge myself with a run.  I need encouragement (and willing to give it) and need to know that there are other folks out there struggling and working hard like me.  Glad I found this blog. 

First time: Broad Street Run Philadelphia (10 Miles) 2:49

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...