Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7108 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 7:55 PM by Kegan36604 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Memaw56 Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 12, 2010 2:36 AM

Fear of failure

I want to run. My whole life I've dreamed of running. I am overweight, old, and in need of support. I find many excuses not to start and I truly think its my own fear of failing or giving up. Encouragement please. I want to be healthier.

• ssfit Pro 138 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    1. Mar 12, 2010 6:05 AM (in response to Memaw56)
    Re: Fear of failure

Remember the quote by John Bingham (The Penguin): "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

Just put one foot in front of the other and start now!!

Good luck and best wishes!

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    2. Mar 12, 2010 6:44 AM (in response to Memaw56)

Simply stated failing is not trying,m taking up running doesn't mean you have to be the fastest, or that you have to race, just run for you and start with the couch to 5k program that has been a great starting point for so many others that have been where you are now

good luck and don't give up

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    3. Mar 12, 2010 6:52 AM (in response to Memaw56)

Why exactly are you "afraid to fail"?  No one is a failure at running.  That is why it is so cool.  Whether your struggling to complete 30 seconds of a slow shuffle or the last few miles of a 20 miler at marathon pace we all struggle.  The only person who truly fails is the person who does not even try.  And don't get hung up on what other people think when they see you.  I did it and everyone seems to, but in reality MOST people don't care and the ones that do are either think "good for her!" or "man I should be doing that".

And as Yoda says - "Do or Do Not.  There is no TRY".

Good luck.  Just put one foot in front of the other and get to it! 

P.S.  I met an 86 year old at my last 5k.  I think he averaged 10-11 minute miles so take that for what it is worth...

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    4. Mar 12, 2010 6:58 AM (in response to Memaw56)

2 proverbs I live by " You come into this world with nothing and you leave with nothing everything in between is a gift" and

" Pain is weakness leaving the body" One step at a time.

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    5. Mar 12, 2010 7:56 AM (in response to Memaw56)

There is no test to pass, so you can't really "fail".  You have two choices:

1.  Stay where you're at and do nothing.  Nothing to gain - nothing to lose.

2.  Get up, go out and walk.  When you feel strong enough to run, then run.  Run as much as you can, then walk some more.  The stronger you get, the more you'll run.  In the meantime keep walking. Maybe one day you'll run a mile.  Maybe one day you'll run a marathon.  You'll never know until you try!

• TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    6. Mar 12, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to Memaw56)

Memaw,

I'm a 47 year old type 2 diabetic that has had 4 knee surgeries and I am 5'10 & 231 lbs. I don't go fast or far. But I GO !!! Please just duck your head and keep trying. I was walking everyday to help with my diabetic problems & realized I wanted to try to jog. Now, I'm doing that for myself, not the condition or need to. Just because I'm finding that I enjoy it. Like I said, not far or fast but enjoying it, even the wheezing, wrung out feelings I get !!

So... Go, Go, Go....  Stay Determined!! TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    7. Mar 12, 2010 2:33 PM (in response to Memaw56)

I can relate...

Last year I turned 54, was overweight and always-always- getting injured. Weeks of physical therapy.

Then I started running...very, very slowly at first, for only a few minutes. Then I added a few more minutes and finally

got up to half an hour of continuous running.

Now I am running longer, further and faster in only 6 months time. If someone had told me that I would be

doing this, at this time in my life, I would laughed. However, I have lost thirty pounds and many inches without injury.

No pain, no limping, lots of glistening...

Because of my success, my wife has started running and my son has also. None of us have ever even tried it before.

The secret - start by running at the same speed that you walk. Whether on a treadmill or on the track, just run very slowly.

In no time, you will surprise yourself with your progress.

There will be nay-sayers. Even in your head.

Just stay on these pages.

There is so much positive insight here you can't help but be excited about what you are doing.

I will say this. Look into the articles about warming up, stretching, warming down, stride, shoes, etc. You can save yourself some grief by

learning as much as you can, at the beginning. The couch to 5k programs are achieveable.

Much success!!

Mike

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    8. Mar 13, 2010 12:09 AM (in response to Memaw56)

I am 53 and overweight.  5'9" @ 204 lbs.  Two months ago I could barely run for 30 seconds at a time (about 1/2 a short end of the block).  I started intervals (run/walk) and gradually increased.  Then I found the Couch to 5K program and started running with that three times a week.  I have gradually increased my endurance.  I started week 7 today and ran for 2.25 miles in about 30 minutes.  I never in my life ever ran a mile before.

There is hope!

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• Highpointbound Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    9. Mar 13, 2010 9:07 AM (in response to Curtis721)

I am 43 years old, bad knnes, bad back, and need to lose 15 pounds.  I have started and stopped exercising a number of times.  But im tired

of feeling tired all the time, and not being able to hike like i used to because im out of breath. Or just walking up a flight of stairs.  I know its hard, believe me.  My willpwer has truly sucked at times. lol  But, i have GOT to do this.  I have been telling myself for 3 years that I was going to train for a 5K.  And now is the perfect time to do it because summer is coming and more runs are out there to choose from!

• iRunDetroit Expert 45 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010
    10. Mar 13, 2010 9:25 AM (in response to Memaw56)

I started running consistently about six months ago. I faced an up hill battle with will power and motivation because I have never been a fan of long distance running but over that past six months I have become addicted. I never sought out to be one of those people who "run for fun" but that is where I have landed. What helped me become committed to running was having a running partner. My running partner happens to have 4 legs and is happy to run, no matter the weather. My dog was the one who helped push me to go running in the Michigan winter and transformed me as a person. I guess what I am trying to say is if you want the benefits you have to go get them. The benefits are great and what begins as maybe a choir eventually turns into just a great time and if you can share that with someone it makes it that much more pleasurable.

iRunDetroit.com blog  |  iRunDetroit on Atlinks

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    11. Mar 13, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to Highpointbound)

Highpointbound,

Two things.

1.  Start walking, BRISK walking 4 or 5 days per week for 20-40 minutes each time.

After you've done that for a few weeks add in a SLOW jog, and start week 1 of the plan.

I've done that and I've been amaized at the progress I've made.

2.  You should have a good top to bottom complete physical.  There could be something wrong that needs medical attention.  (Thyroid problem, anemia, lots of things...)

Good luck, and when you are ready to start the C25K, join a group here that is starting around the same time and post your progress, and your struggles on a daily basis.

This program works!

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• zebUSCG Expert 38 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    12. Mar 13, 2010 11:01 AM (in response to ssfit)

It is a leap of faith. Think of the positive benefits that come externally and internally to you from running. When you fall just go right back at it.

• souldrifter123 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 20, 2009
    13. Mar 13, 2010 1:09 PM (in response to Memaw56)

Please give it a try. I bought the book by John Bingham (No Need For Speed) and it helped me to get stated. He has other books also. I was barely able to get out of bed due to illness, but I got on my treadmill whenever I felt ok. I started about 6 months ago and could not run for more than 30 seconds at a time. I did a 5k in an hour. Now I can run a mile straight and I can do a 5k in 42 minutes. This may not be great to most, but to me it's great. Not only that but I lost weight, reduced my cholesterol and my resting heart rate went down from the 90s to the 70s. I no longer have aches and pains in my back and in othe places. It takes perceverience but it is well worth it. I can see that you really want to run because you said you dreamed of it and that sounded like me. I am 44 and just started. The great thing about walking and running is that in time you get better and there is no age limit when it comes to starting. I just met a lady online that started running in her 40s and now she is doing ultras (100miles). While we may not get to that point, you can find a 5k nearby and use that as a goal to reach. Just simply finishing it should be your goal. Also, go buy yourself a watch that has a heart rate monitor on it and a good pair of shoes. Start looking around for stories about people in your situation that started running and read those for inspiration. Just make sure you read up on the subject first and arm yorself with knowledge.

• LheuBob Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2009
    14. Mar 13, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to Memaw56)

I am 60 years old, probably 20 pounds overweight, and run (and enjoy) 5K races as often as I can. This morning I set a Personal Record of 30:27 [unofficial time (official times not posted yet)].

I started walking 5K races when I was 57, probably 20 pounds overweight then, AND OUT OF SHAPE.  My son is on his high-school's cross-country team and the school was having a 5K race to benefit the sports program.  Walkers were welcome (and most 5K's in my neck of the woods are "run/walks"). so I entered.  That was rather fun, so I walked another.

The next year, I decided to try some RUNNING.

A very great help to me was The Conservative Couch to 5K (3mile) Program - 7Months

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27&printer=1

You start  off  mostly walking, but each week, you run so many more minutes in your walk, and YOU decide how to break up your total running time.  I'll admit, at first I was a little discouraged because I was still  beat after several weeks, but my wife pointed out, that I used to run two minutes; now, I was running twelve!

I also took an adult ed "Couch to 5K" course to  train for RUNNING an entire race, as opposed to taking walk breaks.  I, however, switch to walking if I find running too taxing (and I'm not thed only one).

Also, you should look at running like climbing a mountain: yes, only the first few may have the glory of planting a flag at the summit, but everyone who completes has succeeded at climbing that mountain.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points