Skip navigation

5163 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 2:06 PM by dkhartung RSS
Floyd5k Amateur 19 posts since
Dec 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2010 7:58 AM

Just Curious....Bike Computer

Hey All,

Aside from monitoring your MPH during the Bike run, I'm curious to know what secondary mode on your bike computer display is important to you. Is it your Cadence, Elapsed Time, HRM or Etc? For me, I monitor my cadence but should I be looking at the Elapsed Time to know where I stand being above or below my PR or is there a standard secondary mode that most Triathletes use and why?   Thanks!

• Tri 2 Do It Pro 84 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    1. Mar 11, 2010 9:40 AM (in response to Floyd5k)
    Re: Just Curious....Bike Computer

For me the secondary mode is cadence... definitely.  I use my watch to keep track of my elapsed time.

• DSchiemel Pro 45 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008
    2. Mar 12, 2010 6:00 AM (in response to Floyd5k)

I like to have my cadence displayed on my watch but I also keep an eye on my heart rate, I don't want to burn out before the run. I find keeping my heart between zone 3 & 4 works well for me on race day (generally kept in zone 3) obviously as you climb and pass your heart rate increases but having the watch right there to beep and remind me to keep my heart rate in check insures I have enough in the tank for a solid run time too. Good luck.

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Mar 12, 2010 12:11 PM (in response to Floyd5k)

Good topic! I usually have cadence, then on my watch running time. I've also used ave mph.

I've had issues in the past: went over a bumpy section & the display freaked out. I forgot to take it off my bike once when the bike was on my car bike rack for a long drive... lost that one.

And sometimes the little cadence magnet gets bumped.

But overall I love #'s, so I love the bike computer.

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    4. Mar 13, 2010 10:29 AM (in response to Floyd5k)

I have 3 displays, so I usually (almost exclusively) have cadence and avg speed.  Then my watch tells me HR, time, climbing stats, and anything else you could ever want.  I like to watch cadence because it keeps me honest.  I have a tendency to throw it into a higher gear and pound instead of keeping cadence up.  In triathlons, it seems like a good idea (IronMakeover can back me up here?) to keep cadence up on the bike so that your legs aren't dead for the run, so keeping cadence in my face the whole time helps.  That said, I've lost my computer in both tris I've done - the first because the battery died 3 minutes into the bike, and the second because the strap holding the magnet to the fork broke about 4 miles in.  Yes, I'm that lucky.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    6. Mar 13, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to Floyd5k)

Just my $.02, but get a Garmin 305.  There are a lot of others that people may suggest - and for good reason - but for the money I don't think there's anything comparable out there.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• hitman786 Amateur 35 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    7. Mar 13, 2010 1:25 PM (in response to Floyd5k)

I usually pay more attention to cadence and yes ofcourse you should be looking at your elapsed time. I think mostly triathletes use the same practice.

Triathlon Training Programs - 10% discount using code ACTIVE10

• tramomd Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    8. Mar 13, 2010 6:04 PM (in response to Floyd5k)

Does anyone have any input on wireless verses not as far as bike computer accuracy?  Just got my new tribike and wanna avoid zip tying wires to it..  Also, does anybody use their iphone as a gps, if so, how is it working for you? Thanks.

• Amigold Legend 187 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    10. Mar 15, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to tramomd)

I have a wireless Cat Eye and so far it has been NOTHNG but trouble. It has been back to the shop four times and never has worked right.  I am going to exchange it for a wired one this week because I am tired of it not working (yesterday out on a flat stretch it had me going 17 mph--11mph--5mph--21mph--all in the same 3 seconds of time). It may be that I just bought a lemon of a wireless but it just won't work right, even after being "fixed" multiple times.

I heard the bike shop guy say that the wireless ones are a problem at times, but I also know a lot of people that use them with no issues whatsover. I'm not one of them though.  Just a heads up for ya.

Terry

• BG 2 Tri Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    11. Mar 15, 2010 3:25 PM (in response to Floyd5k)

I agree about the garmin 305. I have it with the quick release system.  I also added the speed and cadence for the bike.  When on the bike I keep 4 displays up, cadence, ave speed, time duration, and distance.

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    12. Mar 18, 2010 7:34 AM (in response to drmiles85)

Dr Miles I like your humor! "...because yes I'm that lucky!" Thanks for the smile!!!

At the USAT clinic CTS coach Fiona Lockhart referenced a study talking about cadence & its impact on run performance:

- 60 minute bike, 3 groups, one group biked at preferred cadence, one at 15% above, one at 15% below.

The triathletes who pedaled faster or at prefered cadence were faster in the beginning of the run, but NOT overall.

From a different part of Fiona's lecture (excellent speaker/coach):

- pedalig at a high cadence is very much a learnable skill

- vast # pedal 90-100

- below 85 if not on a climb will cause muscle fatigue over time, if you wear out legs you won't get them back on a ride.

Also Joe Friel has this good post mentioning 2 studies on cadence:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2008/03/effect-of-cycling-cadence-on-running-in.html

He writes "Take your pick: pedal at a low cadence before entering T2 or pedal at a high cadence before T2. One of them will improve your run performance. Which one? I wish I could say."

Best to you all,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• dkhartung Pro 98 posts since
    Aug 2, 2007
    13. Mar 22, 2010 2:06 PM (in response to drmiles85)

Agree.

I use a G305 and display four numbers:  speed, average speed, cadence, and heart rate.

Elapsed time is on my watch, but isn't very important if you just translate your PR time to an average speed, you basically know how fast your going based on being over/under this target.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points