Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7551 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2010 8:32 PM by ChubbyRunrGrl
nfleming Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 26, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2008 1:44 PM

New and Need Shoes....Help!!

Hi all as a Newbie- fresh startin tommorow evening. I need good shoes for a big girl that has not run in a LONG time. I really want to stick with it and have fun ( I am doing it with a good friend ) but I know that my cross trainers that I have now are not going to stand up to the pounding of pavement.

What do you guys suggest??

Thanks to all-Nicol

• run131 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 26, 2008
    1. Apr 3, 2008 3:22 PM (in response to nfleming)
    Re: New and Need Shoes....Help!!

try a pair of new balance......that's what i use.  gail

• golfnut4u Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Apr 4, 2008 3:32 AM (in response to nfleming)

I do marathons, and am big (200 lbs) relative to the majority of runners in these races.  I have found the Nike Zoom Vomero's to be the best cushioning shoe.  I'm on my 3rd pair since I retire them every 500 miles or so.

• sduck Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    3. Dec 27, 2009 11:16 PM (in response to nfleming)

I am bigger, weigh about 200lb and am starting to run again. I want really good running shoes also. I have done a lot of research and have found a lot of reviews on different good running shoes. My problem with deciding which ones is- are any of these reviews from people who weigh 200lb? Is there a huge difference in the ones that cost $80 versus $120. I really think I like the asics nimbus or mizuno wave rider. Any thoughts?

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    4. Jan 4, 2010 10:20 PM (in response to sduck)

Brooks Beast has been my standby shoe for over 10 years.  Never had a reason to change after first getting the recommendation at Marathon Sports in Boston.

• Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    5. Jan 6, 2010 10:01 AM (in response to sduck)

Not to start a shoe war, but I concur with bostonwolf.  My first pair (last year) was the Beast, and I just bought two more pairs.

But the best thing for you is to go to a runner's shoe store.  The trained and informed staff can help you to decide.  Then, if the shoes do not work out for you, a runner's store will allow you to return those shoes and work with you to find the shoe that is right for you.

I like to mention the Beast because I had never heard of Brooks before I started running.  Knowing that someone else ran in Brooks gave me the peace of mind to consider the brand.  But we all are different, so find what works best for you.

Good luck!  And kudos for starting up again!

Finish well!

• s874 Pro 81 posts since
    Dec 10, 2009
    6. Jan 6, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to Forrest Duck)

I absolutely agree with ForrestDuck. Go to a good runner's shoe store and let them help you.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jan 6, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to sduck)

I agree with ForrestDuck on one point.  You should go to a good running shoe store and seek their advice.  The first thing you need to know is what kind of shoe you need: cushioned/neutral, stability, or motion control.  The Brooks Beast (women's model is called the Ariel, I think) is a motion control shoe, and may not be the best for you.  The same advice holds for the Nimbus, which is a nice shoe (I have a pair).  It's a cushioned shoe, which is fine, unless you need a stability or motion-control shoe.  The Mizuno Wave Rider is considered a performance trainer, not what I would suggest for your first or primary pair of training shoes.

Len

Len

• Tina Paisley Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    8. Jan 27, 2010 12:14 PM (in response to nfleming)

I am  a coach and runner, 180lbs.  I would go to my nearest running specialtiy store, ie Road Runners Sports, Moving Shoes, The Running Institute or Pulse and have a professional look at your feet and your running stride.  What may work for me, may not work for you.  See out on the road!!!

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    9. Jan 27, 2010 8:54 PM (in response to nfleming)

Your size and shape isn't the problem...your gait and feet are.  Go to a running store.  Get your gait analyzed and try a number of different pair.  A good running store will have you step up onto a treadmill and try each pair until you have found what works for you.

I'm a big girl.  I over-pronate in one foot and not in the other.  I like Brooks Adrenaline.   But what works for me and my mileage and feet may not work for you.  This really isn't a decision to make by the advice of strangers over the internet.  This is a very personal decision that needs to be made based on your feet.

Good luck.  Your feet will thank you for this!  Comfy feet and legs make for SUCCESS!

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• slowrunningpete Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    10. Feb 3, 2010 5:18 PM (in response to nfleming)

I agree with most of everyone go to your local running store to get fitted for some shoes. Good luck with your running.

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    11. Mar 13, 2010 8:32 PM (in response to slowrunningpete)

I'm curious as to what you ended up getting.

I started in and still wear New Balance. I'm around 210lbs.  I have a wide foot and my local running store fitted me with New Balance 769, cushion, average motion control in a size 9 medium. A year later my 2nd pair were 1/2 size smaller and wide! I do have a wide foot and the extra width has saved my small toes from blisters!

The 769 is now retired and can be found online and in running stores at great clearance prices! I'm about to purchase the replacement, the new 760.

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points