Skip navigation

2658 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2010 5:54 AM by CanadianRunner RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2010 1:12 PM

Wild Rover Series Reviews

Share your experiences with the Wild Rover Series below Back to event details page.

• abailey425 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    1. Mar 15, 2010 10:57 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Wild Rover Series Reviews

This race series is a lot of fun.  Each race is run from/ends at an Irish pub, free beer and food after, and the race medals are awesomely unique.  I've done this series for the past 3 years and plan to continue with the tradition.

• mcelny2 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Mar 15, 2010 11:06 AM (in response to Guest )

Excellent race.  First time I ran this and wish I had the opportunity to run the other two legs of the series.  Course was well marked and a nice flat 1/2 mile at the end.  Also, what is better than a medal and cup of beef stew for finishing the race.

• tanya low Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010
    3. Mar 15, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran all three races and each had a challanging and fun course. In lawrence it was neat to see the winner heading back to the finish. If you are racing you never see that. This was my first year doing this series and it most definately be a tradition!

• johnson811 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    4. Mar 15, 2010 11:28 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran all three races this year and had a good time at all.  The progression from 3 to 4 to 5 miles was great to kick off my spring training.  I love that all three medals create a big medallion, made running in the cold, wet rain totally worth it!

• Jill Hourihan Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    5. Mar 15, 2010 11:32 AM (in response to Guest )

The series is a lot of fun. I pick races for the perks, and here are the things I like about the series:

1. Three Medals that join together to make a really beautiful, unique larger medal commemorating the series. They are so pretty I'm mounting them to hang on the wall.

2. Race numbers with your name on them.

3. Nice shirts

4. They feed you well. Piping hot stew and delicious chili after the first race, a full spaghetti feast after the second.

5. Really professional and friendly a wonderful festive and supportive vibe welcoming new and experienced runners.

• Tinytall Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 19, 2007
    6. Mar 15, 2010 11:39 AM (in response to Guest )

Great idea on a series and medals that combine into one larger medallion. Haverhill was a tough opener with a decent hill almost at the 1 mile mark for a 3 mile opener. Cool weather, but not bad. Not a bad course and well controlled for traffic, though some side streets allowed cars through which was not too bad. Lawrence was a challenge from 1.5 - 2 miles with a decent challenge. The finish line was cool to watch others finish as you trot around that block. That was the best venue for a post-race party with ample space on two floors. Lowell was a good finisher for 5 miles. It's good that they had the school gym for the pre-race due to the miserable weather, but that's something that can't be controlled here in good 'ole New England. The pub was small, so bringing the libations out was a terrific idea since there was room for it. The whole series was well run, well attended and is something that should be repeated! Great job to all the volunteers and the group that performed all the timing. The D-Chip was great and names on the bib... Cool as heck!

I think this was a great way to get back into the swing of things if you desire to hit a 10 k before May. It won't do much if you're getting ready for Boston as these are all shorter races. They were fun, though.

• BLavine Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    7. Mar 15, 2010 11:42 AM (in response to Guest )

I have really liked this race series in the past and this year was no exception.

One minor gripe-  At the Hynes 5-miler, they ran out of XXL and XL shirts.  Why ask for my size at registration if you're not going to have a shirt for me? 

Small children left unattended will be given espresso and free kittens.

• deniseand Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 27, 2007
    8. Mar 15, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to Guest )

We look forward to this series every year.  The medals are cool (we're not exactly pro runners).  The volunteers who stood around in the cold, wet, wind-chilled course were awesome!  Can't thank them enough.

• jmfric5 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    9. Mar 15, 2010 12:41 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my second year taking part in the Claddagh Pub 4 miler. 

What a great race!  For the second year in a row, I had a truly memorable experience and a wonderful time!

The race staff does an exceptional job organizing the event! The check-in is simple, the course is well marked and without any traffic, and the post-race party is a blast. 

The food after the race is delicious and the Claddagh is an excellent location for a post-race party.  Having the Gobshites come perform has been great as well!  What a good band for a good old irish celebration!

Both years, I have left the event looking forward to next year already!

This is definitely a race nobody should miss out on! I know I won't!

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    10. Mar 15, 2010 12:44 PM (in response to BLavine)

BLavine wrote:

I have really liked this race series in the past and this year was no exception.

One minor gripe-  At the Hynes 5-miler, they ran out of XXL and XL shirts.  Why ask for my size at registration if you're not going to have a shirt for me? 

There is good news and bad news in the road racing industry relative to shirts. A large number of the great technical shirts that are becoming common at races are made off-shore, places like Mexico and the orient. Amazing prices compared to what technical shirts cost even 5 years go. In many cases, material is colored, cut, sewn, printed or embroidered to  order.

With the traditional cotton shirts, a zillion shirts are manufactured using very consistent sizing patterns and equipment. Those shirts are bought by all the different shirts makers.  The technical shirts don't seem to be of any consistent sizing, even from the same manufacturer on 2 different orders.

The shirts at the Hynes were all way too small, so runners were sizing up. The medium I got wasn't even close, so I question whether even a large would have been large enough for me. It's no wonder that those larger sizes became scarce.

Contrast that with all the shirts for the Applefest Half Marathon last fall. All way too big with the XL and XXL being tents.Yet the volunteer shirts from same manufacturer we too small. Go figure.

I work with many races and as I such this sort of issue is common to many conversation about race management. Quite often the delivered shirts don't even match the samples.

What's the solution? Don't know, there are a lot of very sharp experienced people trying find a way around it.

At least a large cotton Haynes Beefy Tee is a large no matter which shirt company sells the goods.

Going back to cotton would seem like a like a good idea, but the color options available with technical are very many, and color is part of today's pazazze.

• seejanerunfast Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 19, 2009
    11. Mar 15, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to Guest )

Great series! Each race had its own challenge, this made it a ton of fun! Even with the nasty weather at the last race it was all worth it! Great job to all who plan it, run it and come out to cheer us on!! Looking forward to next year!

• Belzebub Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    12. Mar 15, 2010 1:54 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time in the wild-rover-series. I did all three events and I really enjoyed them. Getting the medal in three parts is a great idea, as that is great motivator to do all three. The best course food was served at J.P. McBride: chili and beef stew. The most difficult course was at the Claddagh Pub 4-Miler.  The best course? The last one at

Hynes Tavern 5-Miler. I'll definitely do this again.

• Kris101214 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2010
    13. Mar 15, 2010 5:57 PM (in response to Guest )

This series was so much fun.  These were my first 3 races so I enjoyed the progression from 3 to 5 miles.  All of the staff was VERY helpful and friendly. I am definitely going to do this series again next year!

• CaptHuggyFace Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 30, 2009
    14. Mar 15, 2010 7:30 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran all 3 races of the series and really enjoyed them.  The organizers were all so friendly and motivating. Overall, it was a fun atmosphere and I plan to Run the Wild Rover Series again.  Highlights for me:

1) I loved the technical t-shirts (funny that one person thought the Hynes shirts ran small because my friend and I found the size small shirts to be bigger than usual, just shows how everyone is different)

2) Three medals forming one larger medallion.  It certainly motivated me to head over to the Hynes 5-miler despite the weather conditions.

3) The food! I especially loved the chili at the Frozen Shamrock and the salad at the Claddagh Pub.  Fruit might be a good addition in the future.

4) All the courses were great and I liked the progression from 3 miles to 5. The Claddagh Pub 4-miler was the most challenging for me; that hill was a killer!

5) The pictures posted on Coolrunning. Thank you Jim Rhoades and Ted Tyler!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...