Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7233 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 7:55 PM by Kegan36604 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    18. Mar 14, 2010 6:20 AM (in response to Memaw56)
    Re: Fear of failure

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. "

Bill Cosby

• Highpointbound Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010
    19. Mar 14, 2010 7:03 AM (in response to Janet689)

Hi Janet!  Thanks for the advice.  I have actually already started the program.  I started 3/8/10 so I am done with the first week.  It went pretty well.  I have been seen for my knee issues, and actually had arthoscopic surgery about 7 years ago.  I'm always going to have to baby my knees, because they hurt sometimes when i do hikes, etc.  When I have kept on a decent weight training and cardio schedule, i have always felt better.  Even the things that i have problems with (knees/back) feel better because i'm working out and keeping them strong.

But when I slack off, my body goes to h-ll!  LOL  And i'm 43, so I cant bounce back in 2 weeks like i used to. So im just taking it real easy and hopefully I will keep going and not allow myself to slack off again.

• GretchenH66 Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    20. Mar 14, 2010 8:43 AM (in response to Memaw56)

Remember we are only as "old" as we want to feel.  I am 43 and last year I felt 83 because I had back pain 10months out of the year.  Now I feel 34 because I had back surgery, am running  and eating healthy.

• TimoWake Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    21. Mar 14, 2010 5:54 PM (in response to Memaw56)

The toughest part of getting and staying in shape is getting started.  I would encourage you to take the first step and then track your progress on dailymile.com.  This will provide you with an instant support group to cheer you on and provide motivation.  I warn you that there will be days that you feel like quitting and days that you will think that you have found your calling.  That's just how running is.  Hopefully, you will learn to love and embrace your new lifestyle.  Good luck and enjoy your journey to a healthful lifestyle!!

http://runridelive.blogspot.com

• TandLMommy28 Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    22. Mar 14, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to Memaw56)

Age definitely means nothing. I am only 28 but last year I felt 88 because I was so tired and achy all the time. I dragged my tired self to doctor after doctor and FINALLY got a diagnosis and a solution. I am new person now, and feeling closer to my real age. I think I will finally feel like I am actually 28 when I finally finish C25K.  Like you, I have tried to run before and failed. But I have finally got my health issues under control, my kids are not babies anymore and I'm getting a decent amount of sleep again. I am telling myself this time "No excuses." I'm going to do this, period. I'm excited about it. You can do this, you just have to tell yourself that failure is not an option. And in my opinion, going out for a walk or getting on the treadmill is always a victory, even if you can't run that day.

• dubiousrunner Amateur 25 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    23. Mar 15, 2010 11:25 AM (in response to Memaw56)

I just posted something similar to your question and I found this thread; it helped me immensely.  My biggest fear is being considered a quitter (in my own mind)....there are many things that I've quit over the years and it made me mad at myself for not following through not to mention that it made me physically sick as in chronic anxiety in the pit of my stomach for not being able to meet my own expectations.

My husband told me this morning that the one thing that I had to conquer was the too high expectations that I set for myself.  I have a daughter who runs ultra marathons and more than anything else, I want to stay up with her......the point of making such a statement is absolutely ridiculous because there is a 33 year gap between us and I have no business trying to keep up with my kids.....I need to do my own thing.

So, I'm going to persevere and follow all the good advice on this thread.  It comes from people who are absolutely okay with the fact that not everyone is the same nor do we have to compete with one another.

Candy

5K Races:

Earth Day 5K - Houston - 4/3/10 (39.07)

Yuri's Night 5K Fun Run - 4/10/10 (36.50)

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    24. Mar 15, 2010 12:26 PM (in response to dubiousrunner)

One of the best quotes I have ever heard goes something like this:  "Buddhists are asked to have compassion on all sentient beings.  What we often forget is that this includes us as well."  This really surprised me.  As a Christian I try to have compassion on others but am usually really hard on myself.  Maybe we need a golden rule in reverse: "Do unto myself what I would do for others".

Feeling that I am a "quitter" has been a lifelong issue for me.  Doing the C25K has been really good for me.  On every run day it takes me a while to get out the door. But I make myself do it and am always glad I did. I'm in the middle of week seven and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  I ran 2.25 miles today. 5K is only 0.75 miles to go.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    25. Mar 15, 2010 2:34 PM (in response to dubiousrunner)

dubiousrunner wrote:

I just posted something similar to your question and I found this thread; it helped me immensely.  My biggest fear is being considered a quitter (in my own mind)....there are many things that I've quit over the years and it made me mad at myself for not following through not to mention that it made me physically sick as in chronic anxiety in the pit of my stomach for not being able to meet my own expectations.

My husband told me this morning that the one thing that I had to conquer was the too high expectations that I set for myself.  I have a daughter who runs ultra marathons and more than anything else, I want to stay up with her......the point of making such a statement is absolutely ridiculous because there is a 33 year gap between us and I have no business trying to keep up with my kids.....I need to do my own thing.

So, I'm going to persevere and follow all the good advice on this thread.  It comes from people who are absolutely okay with the fact that not everyone is the same nor do we have to compete with one another.

I replied to you on the other thread, but I will reply again here.  First of all, if you are having trouble meeting your own "high expectations" then maybe - just maybe - you have an arbitrary goal that doesn't correlate with your own natural abilities.  Just because a program called C25K says you will be running 3 miles in 9 weeks doesn't mean that is the right goal for every single person.  It is a generality.  Secondly, just because your daughter runs ultras doesn't mean you are cut out to do that.  (On the flip side, none of my grown sons run no matter how much I try to get them go to out with me!)

Keep this in mind:  long before C25K came along most recreational runners like us just learned to run on our own.  I started running in 1996 when I was 34.  There was no C25K - as far as I know of, anyway - and I didn't even have the Internet to look up training plans and advice.  I just went out and started walking.  I walked for months before I even thought about running (running wasn't my initial goal, I just wanted to start getting some exercise.)   I just started running when I felt like it and then followed my own instincts to run farther and faster over time.  I hardly knew anything about running as a sport, but I just did what felt right to me.  When I entered my first 5K I didn't even have a time goal, I only entered it because it was to benefit my son's school.  It was so fun I went out and signed up for a 10K.   I have continued to run off and on for years now and enjoy races for fun.  I am a happy "middle-of-the-pack" runner with no worries.  I have my limitations and accept them because my expectations from running are just to enjoy running!  So if I don't ever run a marathon - the ultimate goal of every runner - then I am still happy just to run.  I am not going to be miserable or give up because I haven't reached that goal and don't know for sure that I ever will (I have run a half marathon, though).  Again, the key is that I love running for running itself.  I can't stress that enough.  Once you reach that place, you can give yourself "permission" to take as long as you need to reach that 3 mile goal.  If you enjoy running for the sake of running, you won't need to beat yourself up for not reaching an arbitrary goal in an arbitrary time period.  I understand that 3 miles is important because it is a 5K race distance.  And I think that it is an attainable goal for most people who can run at all (in other words if you can run, you can probably run 3 miles sooner or later).   For now just try to enjoy where you're at and what your body CAN do.  Don't focus on what it CAN'T do.  Run as far as you can run and revel in it.  When you can run farther, then run farther.  ENJOY THE PROCESS!    Once you truly love running, then you will begin to go places with it you never even dreamed.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    26. Mar 15, 2010 5:33 PM (in response to Memaw56)

I can so relate to this. I started running almost 2 years ago for reasons that had nothing to do with my health. I also pretty much quit and never followed through on anything I've ever done.  Until running.  I found for me my passion.  I can't stop, I won't stop.  I still fear failing....but I fear stopping more because running has given me what I've been looking for all my life...the belief that I can accomplish what I never thought I could do.  There really is nothing to fail at....I have a window sticker on my car that I believe 100%..."its not about the winning, its the finishing"...that is soooo true.  No one cares how fast you are, how you look, just don't stop!

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• JMSalsman Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    27. Mar 15, 2010 8:39 PM (in response to Memaw56)

These responses are awesome!  How often do you feel this way and just want someone to help... THANKS everyone!  I'm saving this thread for a rainy day!

• Kegan36604 Pro 84 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    29. Mar 16, 2010 3:40 AM (in response to Memaw56)

The only 'failure'  you can have is to stop trying.  Don't worry about speed, pace, walking vs running, etc.   Like a bunch of people here my first experience training was humiliating and painful.  I was close to 50 and a bit overweight.  After the C25K program I ran my first 5K in 39:40.  I felt like I had just cured cancer I was so proud.  That was four or five years ago.

I'm still a 'back of the packer', but my PR on a 5K now is 29:45.  I have three marathons and numerous halfs under my belt.  I am so glad I stuck with it.

Here is a hint most people will agree with.  Whether you are doing a 5K training or Marathon- the first mile or so really stinks.  You go thru a bunch of self talk that is not very helpful - this hurts, it's a bad day, I'll stop and try again later, I had too much to eat before I left.  etc.  Push through that first mile or so and you'll be golden.  I still go through that lousy first mile on at least one of my three weekly training days.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points