Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8452 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2010 7:58 AM by Gravity06 1 2 Previous Next
dubiousrunner Amateur 25 posts since
Mar 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 15, 2010 11:02 AM

Okay....I'm asking myself again....why am I doing this running?

I just completed the program but I'm still not making the three mile mark.  The discouragement over not meeting my own high expectations is wearing me down to the point that I'm actually questioning my motives behind the action.  I'm signed up for not just one, but actually two 5Ks in April and I'm still trying to get myself over the 3 mile hump.  I need some strong motivational, butt-kicking help!

Candy

5K Races:

Earth Day 5K - Houston - 4/3/10 (39.07)

Yuri's Night 5K Fun Run - 4/10/10 (36.50)

• nerdette Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009

Hey there dubious! I struggle, in my daily life, with the question of expectations and how to deal with a shortfalling in the event of not meeting them. Does one lower expectations, and is that not considered slacking and/or quitting? Philosophical and rhetorical questions, with as many answers as there are answerers.

When it comes to running, I keep in mind a little rant by a friend of mine. To paraphrase: Nobody in the world cares whether you lace on your running shoes but you. Nobody in the world cares whether you clock three miles but you. Nobody in the world cares whether you run a 5K but you. So, care...because nobody else will.

Some days when I am tired and sore and just not all that into it (and I am a pretty darned new runner myself - started C25K last November and am scheduled for my very first 5K ever in two short weeks!) those are the words that echo in my head. The only person it matters to - REALLY matters to - is me. The most important promises to keep are the ones you make to yourself. So do it for you, because you want to, because doing it will make you feel good, because keeping on does your own will a service. The only reason anybody runs, in my own very humble opinion, is the same: because they want to. So, my friend, run on! Be patient, stop worrying about expectations, and just run because you WANT to run. Run because you want to feel the pavement jangle your bones, run because you like running in the rain, run because you love your playlist, run because you dig eating a cheeseburger without guilt, run because you can, run because it's the best way to outrun stress, run because it makes you happy, run because it's a challenge, run because you want to be able to say you did it. Find your "because..." and run with it. Every single time

"You are your choices." ~Seneca

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

Dubious,

There are days i just dont want to do it either and kick my own #ss to get out there and do it, so I know how you feel.

I dont think your really that shallow about yourself that you cant except the progress you've made as a success, Every day you ge out and run its a success, live with the victories youve made, its a success for the healthy you and a defeat for the unhealthy you! keep winning for the healthy you.

I mean come on Im sure the person a few month back wouldnt even be able to do what your doing now. Give yourself a break you should be very proud of yourself of what you can do now, not disapointed in what you think you should be doing now.

To be honest the unhealthy you didnt happen over night and the healthy you isnt going to happen over night, so if you want to to become the unhealthy you again stop, but i think its a huge mistake, you have it in you, you just have to give it time and it will happen.

So what if you dont meet your expections tomorrow, tomorrow, going until you do, thats what makes people better people.

Keep going until you do, never ever give up on yourself because if you do it will be alot more regretable later then sticking with it.......

Now get out there and move!!!!

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

What exactly keeps you from reaching your 3 mile mark?  Can you run 2 miles?  Then run those 2 miles and enjoy it!  Why beat yourself up because you didn't run 3 miles?  You just set yourself up for frustration and question why you even run at all.  Then you are missing the whole point of running!  Yes goals are important, but the process of getting there is just as important.  You can't rush it, you have to embrace it.  I have goals I have been working towards for years, and sometimes I come close and then get sidelined by an injury or other event.  But the running I did to get to that point was never wasted because I enjoyed it along the way.

Let me ask you this:  Can you WALK 3 miles?  Then you can cover the distance in a 5K.  Now every time you go out, make it a point to go at least 3 miles at whatever pace you can.  Run some, walk some, run some more, but just cover 3 miles without worrying about how much of it you run.  KEEP DOING IT!  It may be very gradual, but eventually you will run the whole thing.

I'm not down on C25K in general, but I do think it sets people up to think they have to accomplish a certain distance in a certain time period although people start the program at very different levels of ability.  So don't let the timetable on a "one size fits all" program make you think that you are behind in reaching your goals.  Keep doing it at your own pace and in your own good time. In the meantime enjoy where you are and what you're doing.  That is the best reason of all to run!

• Albyno-Rhyno Amateur 32 posts since
    Aug 25, 2008

I'm assuming the "program" is Couch-to-5K.  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml  Are you not making three miles or not within the time constraints?  Are the lungs giving out?  Legs burning?  What's happening?  Why the self-defeating attitude over whether a goal is met within a certain timespan?

Have you ever run before?  If not, then consider consulting a running coach or researching proper running form - http://www.runners-corner.com/runningformkines.pdf

Inefficient running can cause excess pain/injury/fatigue that can lead to disppointment/failure.  Also consider a training partner(s) or an ipod/zune or something to distract the mind.

Running is a very mental sport.  Not everyone is a fast runner or a long-distance runner, but at  least you're running/exercising.

One of the most important exercises to perform for any sport is weight-lifting.  Yoga can also help with the mental-physical aspect of sports.  Cross-training is an excellent way to improve alternate sports activites.  If you're a beginner (at any sport), consulting a trainer/professional is advisable.

• fluffysunshine Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 21, 2009

I second Marykb.  Take your time, be patient, and DON'T GIVE UP!  Find a running partner.  Map out scenic 3 mile routes that you can look forward to going to.  Personally, I would never be able to run on a treadmill-- there's nothing enjoyable about feeling like a mouse in a wheel, never getting anywhere.  Enjoy yourself.  When I tack on an extra mile to my training, my one goal is to keep my feet moving until I make it.  I don't care how slow I'm going.  After weeks of working on the motion of getting my body through that extra mile, my body gets used to it and the run becomes so much easier.  And then I add on another mile, and so forth.  The worst thing you can do though is give up.  So do what you can to keep your runs enjoyable and not so much a task.  Be proud of your accomplishments and confident in your abilities.  You can do anything you set your mind to  

• theyork6 Pro 74 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010

I wouldnt worry too much about those 5k's in April...You will be surprised at what you can do when you are in a race....You will probably get over that hump in your first one :-)  That being said, keep up the good work, you are out and running and that is good :-)

Moes Better Half Marathon 03/07/10--- 2:26:37 (my very first race)

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008

Hello! I have to give another thumbs-up to Marykb's response. There's no requirement to do anything you don't enjoy; the secret is to discover the joy in what you do!

People often ask, "How fast should I run?" "What should my target 5k finish time be?" etc.  There's no right answer, and that's the beauty of it! Those two upcoming 5k's will be some of the most fun you've ever had, if you allow yourself to be "in the moment" and enjoy the whole experience... the crowd, the other runners and walkers, the refreshments at the finish line, whatever. Walk the whole thing if you feel like it; lots of people do.

Last weekend I was supposed to run a 10k race but sat out due to a sore knee. I decided my "joy" in running that day would be to watch my friends and my husband run, for once! I took pictures along the course and had a great time cheering everyone on. It was spitting snow and the wind was blowing, and I was thinking, This is so much better than sitting on the couch, whining about the unpleasant weather! The point is, you can still be a runner if you don't always run. We're all works in progres.

• ThreeLittlePigs Pro 65 posts since
    Feb 16, 2010

I'd simplify it.

Having finished the programme do you feel physically better than when you started it?  Do you sleep better?  Do you feel (generally) more confident - happier for having done the programme?

Then you've already reached ALL of the most importnat goals.

3 is just a number which you will reach.

My Goal is the Cork City Marathon on June the 7th, with three of my six Brothers, two of whom are multiple Marathon runners....

1st Leg - Steve (Me) (5.4 Miles)

2nd Leg - Denis (9.5 Miles)

3rd Leg - Fiach (2.3 Miles)

4th Leg - Ken (9 miles)

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

Congrats on finishing C25k!   It's been my experience on this board with talking to other beginning runners that few if any start with running 10 minute miles!   Therefore at the end of C25k we aren't covering a 5k in 30 minutes.   If you look at the results of a typical 5k race...  there are tons of runners that take longer than 30 minutes to run the 5k.  The times go all the way down to about an hour and a half.  I assume those are the walkers!    So just plan on being out there longer than 30 minutes when you do your 5k's! 

During your training you can just walk the additional mile to get used to covering the distance like someone else suggested.   The other thing you can do it try going to the "ONE HOUR RUNNING" program where you add on a few more minutes of running each week.   The longer you keep up doing your 30 minute runs you will start to gradually get a bit faster and cover more ground.  You are doing terrific running for 30 minutes straight.   Progress doesn't stop at the end of C25k.. we've only just begun!!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009

Race day you'll have an adrenalin rush that will carry you through the finish with style. At mile one thank god your knees and ankles are warm and flowing. Mile two thank god your breathing is settled. Mile three stay focused on keeping an easy stride and smell the roses. These are all POSITIVE thoughts and each step forward is a step closer.

• gawd Pro 174 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010

I agree with what the others have posted but also, have you tried only increasing your run by 5 mins each week eventually you will add that 16-20 mins needed to finish your 5k without walking?

Im just starting C25K again but had a bit of experience running years ago and when I did 3.5 miles one day, I have to say it was probably more mind set than anything that got me there - actually NOT thinking about making 5k but that I could actually run at all..and before I knew it, Id made it!  you will too!  Try just adding on minutes rather than thinking about distance too much. Concentrate on how well your form and breathing are during your run - like anything, thinking positive (how you have improved and are enjoying the run, that moment) instead of the negative (havent made 3 miles yet), will get you there quicker than you think!

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010

Sleep better? Thanks for bringing that up TLP.  I am getting a much deeper sleep since I started C25K.  I think it took a week or two in to the program, then *bam* I started having these long vibrant dreams just before waking like I haven't had in 15 years.  My BP is down to 69/115 which is darn miraculous.  So even if I don't feel a real energy boost like I've been hearing about (and still waiting for), there are tangible benefits.  Oh yeah, yesterday I ran 2.25 miles for the very first time in my entire life, so sure, I'm stoked.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• Afighter Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010

You are not alone....I ask myself the same thing on my run days.  I am training for my first 10 mile run and the trainings have been very tough.  I try to keep my goal in mind....for me that is proving to myself that I can master my body after many years of feeling out of control in that area.  I deeply feel that I NEED to have a moment of being proud of myself.  I try to imagine what it will be like when I cross the finish line, which is all I want to do is just finish. 

All that to say....run for you...let go of your expectations of how you should be running and how far you should be running.  My running mantra is: Don't think, just run.  Keep up the hard, but rewarding work! 

First time: Broad Street Run Philadelphia (10 Miles) 2:49

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...